Visa in hand , selling house timeline vs leaving - animals and child in tow!

scubacam

Some people don’t have the choice. Not all types of pets are permitted. We had to re home budgies and a snake as they were not allowed. 

A friends daughter was devastated she couldn’t bring her pet rabbit and hamsters (parents were relieved!) but she got over it. 

I do wonder if they might ban the import of cats at some point............

Morning guys thank you for all your responses , our cats are very attached to us , whenever we move into a different room - the two of them suddenly appear where we are. Yes we rescued them when they were kittens from a cat hoarders home but we’ve been their constant for 8.5 years.
I totally get that perhaps we are being selfish but this move is going to be hard regardless because of what we are leaving behind - our animals are just not something that we can imagine rehoming making the whole thing even more upsetting. I don’t view it as making our life more difficult because we have always had animals . Not having them is alien to us.

Yes I do think about what their life will be like there but I don’t know what their life would be like here. They’ve already got most of their jabs .

What we’ve decided to do is talk to estate agents in April when we visit and see what their experience has been and what it would take to get a decent place with 3 animals

An alternative to the alternative is you don’t go to Australia.
If my dog couldn’t have gone to Australia I wouldn’t have moved.
In December last year 6 months before I was planning to return to the UK my cat was diagnosed as diabetic. I worked hard to get him stable and safe enough to travel, which he was. If he hadn’t have been I would have been reconsidering my plans tbh.
I delayed as it was due to waiting for the dog to die as she was way too old for any sort of disruption.
Just another thought as someone who couldn’t part with her animals.

Yes we are going with one dog instead of 2 because we waited for one to pass

22 minutes ago, scubacam said:

Yes we are going with one dog instead of 2 because we waited for one to pass

It’s hard. Unfortunately we can’t give you the perfect answer you are looking for. If you want to move and want to take the animals then the compromise will likely be in the sort of rental you get or/and the amount of money you spend. Not such a big deal in the short term if it means in the long term you will all be together surely?

Australia is a different culture with different laws and a different outlook. 

Good luck.

Guest The Pom Queen

Did you look up what Council area you will be moving to? If you give me an idea of the Suburb I can find out what their animal management law is. If there policy doesn’t allow 3 pets then the next council may.

Sydney city council don’t seem to care about roaming cats,they have guidelines but these aren’t law https://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/289595/Cats-in-the-City.pdf

Randwick Council look like they will be bringing it in. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-03/randwick-councils-cat-ban-idea-stirs-debate/10331946 I’m so surprised as Victoria and Queensland councils have had strict laws as long as we have been here so I can’t understand why Sydney are so behind.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/councils-to-introduce-cat-curfews-to-limit-prowling-at-night-20170208-gu876v.html

When I worked in the veterinary field we had cats being brought in all the time to be put to sleep as we were told they were strays. It’s a few years since I was in this field now but the law was if a cat was in someone’s garden they could trap it and take it to the council or ourselves. The council would hold for 7 days to see if it was claimed. 95% of the cats were never claimed and were put to sleep, usually developing cat flu so they couldn’t even be adopted out. Most of the dogs were claimed quite quickly, but one of the pounds use to charge a fine of $300 and then $50 per day for boarding and veterinary fees on top so a number of people use to abandon them

In regards to renting with 3 animals I know plenty of people who don’t mention how many they have to the realestate or landlord and when inspection time comes they either drop them off with friends, book a day off work, or book them in to Kennels. 

1 hour ago, scubacam said:

I totally get that perhaps we are being selfish 

Actually, I don't think you are being selfish at all.  After all, you're planning to spend thousands of pounds to move your cats to Australia - and on top of that, you're planning to spend hundreds of pounds on more expensive accommodation, and probably lose thousands of pounds on your house sale because you have to be so inflexible with your sale timetable.  

Considering all that, you're not being selfish at all, you're sacrificing a fair chunk of your family's security for your cats' sake.   Considering you're coming to the periphery of Sydney where homes are so expensive, I think it's an unacceptable risk.  

Just to chip in here, we decided some time ago that we wouldn't bring the cat to Australia, and as she was not happy with the dog, we made the difficult decision to rehome her a couple of months ago.  Yes it has been upsetting, my daughter misses the cat a lot, but actually the rehoming process was really easy;  we contacted the cat's protection league, who took her as soon as they had space in one of the foster carer's garden runs.  She spent a couple of weeks settling there, and then found a new home at a homing fair they held.  We got an update from the lady we handed her to in the first place, and we know that they work really hard to make sure cats go to the right homes.  Harder for us than for the cat certainly, and I think much easier than being shipped across the world and being kept inside from then on.  Not fair in my opinion.

Now with the prospect of a quick move with work on the horizon, we have to think very seriously about whether to take the dog 😞

Guest The Pom Queen
1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Actually, I don't think you are being selfish at all.  After all, you're planning to spend thousands of pounds to move your cats to Australia - and on top of that, you're planning to spend hundreds of pounds on more expensive accommodation, and probably lose thousands of pounds on your house sale because you have to be so inflexible with your sale timetable.  

Considering all that, you're not being selfish at all, you're sacrificing a fair chunk of your family's security for your cats' sake.   Considering you're coming to the periphery of Sydney where homes are so expensive, I think it's an unacceptable risk.  

I agree with Marisa you aren’t being selfish and only you know what’s right for you and your babies. 

‘People are against cats but mainly cats that are left to roam. Especially when you always get the media posting content like this https://www.smh.com.au/national/war-on-feral-cats-australia-aims-to-cull-2-million-20170214-gucp4o.html To be honest I would be worried about letting any of mine roam and we have 40 acres. There are around 8 feral cats we know of around here and also wild dogs which the farmers don’t hesitate to shoot.

If you want it to work it will and there are ways of doing it. Maybe look at the catnet as like I said it’s cheap and you can do what we did and cover the window so the cats can come in and out as they please. 

Re rentals when applying say you have a cat and a dog, you aren’t really lying. You will probably find the landlord will let you have a dog but it has to stay outside. I think deep down they know the dog comes in but like they once said to a family it makes them keep the house spotless in case they get caught rather than the dog run the place to ruin.

Also when looking for a rental don’t look for ones that say pet friendly because the majority don’t, but when asked they will consider it.

They are not allowed to request a pet bond but will happily accept one. Also if you say you will get carpets steamed and a pest spray done at the end of the tenancy, maybe even offer 3 months up front that should put a smile on their face.

Guest The Pom Queen
17 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Just to chip in here, we decided some time ago that we wouldn't bring the cat to Australia, and as she was not happy with the dog, we made the difficult decision to rehome her a couple of months ago.  Yes it has been upsetting, my daughter misses the cat a lot, but actually the rehoming process was really easy;  we contacted the cat's protection league, who took her as soon as they had space in one of the foster carer's garden runs.  She spent a couple of weeks settling there, and then found a new home at a homing fair they held.  We got an update from the lady we handed her to in the first place, and we know that they work really hard to make sure cats go to the right homes.  Harder for us than for the cat certainly, and I think much easier than being shipped across the world and being kept inside from then on.  Not fair in my opinion.

Now with the prospect of a quick move with work on the horizon, we have to think very seriously about whether to take the dog 😞

It is so hard isn’t it. Is there anyone who could foster the dog until you have moved and settled?

2 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

It is so hard isn’t it. Is there anyone who could foster the dog until you have moved and settled?

I don't know to be honest, Its something we will look into.  The overall cost is mad though, and we are slightly concerned that the walks she loves now, open fields playing with other dogs off lead will not be there in suburban Sydney.  Also thinking about what we need to do to settle, be sociable, get out and about, discover the wonders of the area etc all of which is harder with a dog waiting at home.  Not sure any of it is in her best interests really.

• Like 2

I don't know to be honest, Its something we will look into.  The overall cost is mad though, and we are slightly concerned that the walks she loves now, open fields playing with other dogs off lead will not be there in suburban Sydney.  Also thinking about what we need to do to settle, be sociable, get out and about, discover the wonders of the area etc all of which is harder with a dog waiting at home.  Not sure any of it is in her best interests really.

Hi , we are also heading to outer Sydney (Wollongong or central coast)
I think it’s really difficult , our dog doesn’t like other dogs and just wants to sleep so we aren’t worried too much. Yes she loves to run but I know it’s safer for her not to over there and as she gets older I’m ok with that. She would be a mess without us and I can’t guarantee that someone else would put up with all of her quirks.
People do have dogs there so other people will also be going home to get back to kids , dogs , relieve babysitters. Bella is what also makes our home home so we have to take that into account. We went to an immigration show last weekend who estimated £1000 for flight plus £500 domestic between Melbourne and Sydney, £1000 for quarantine . Vet bills are obviously another matter. We paid £150 for rabies

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 03:20, scubacam said:

I definitely feel that in my own property I could try and sort it but how do I get a nice rental with three animals ? I thought the dog would be a problem

You will need to pay a pet bond for a rental and you may be obligated to have the rental professionally cleaned when you vacate.

Guest The Pom Queen
6 hours ago, scubacam said:

Hi , we are also heading to outer Sydney (Wollongong or central coast)
I think it’s really difficult , our dog doesn’t like other dogs and just wants to sleep so we aren’t worried too much. Yes she loves to run but I know it’s safer for her not to over there and as she gets older I’m ok with that. She would be a mess without us and I can’t guarantee that someone else would put up with all of her quirks.
People do have dogs there so other people will also be going home to get back to kids , dogs , relieve babysitters. Bella is what also makes our home home so we have to take that into account. We went to an immigration show last weekend who estimated £1000 for flight plus £500 domestic between Melbourne and Sydney, £1000 for quarantine . Vet bills are obviously another matter. We paid £150 for rabies

The domestic flight between Melbourne and Sydney isn’t that much. I’ve just sent a couple of pups Interstate, 

‘Brisbane to Canberra $120

Brisbane to Melbourne $200 but it did include the crate to keep, so probably $150. 

The domestic flight between Melbourne and Sydney isn’t that much. I’ve just sent a couple of pups Interstate, 
‘Brisbane to Canberra $120
Brisbane to Melbourne $200 but it did include the crate to keep, so probably $150. 

Thank you that’s helpful, I realised I never replied to you about areas. The truth is that we don’t know yet. We visited in 2014 and stayed in Avalon , northern beaches and fell in love but I’m not made of millions. We scouted central coast a bit but when we come in April we will be looking at Wollongong , central coast more and drive up to Byron bay to have a look.

Also in a totally BIZARRE turn of events my husband Nic went to help his parents (the difficult in-laws) chop down a tree yesterday whether his act of kindness rubbed off I don’t know but they were chatting about Australia as they try weekly to put us off with what a terrible country it is (having never been) , what animals lie in wait to kill us etc etc , Nic told them about our recent findings (thanks to this site) about cats - I don’t mean that sarcastically I truly had no idea what it is like over there I thought dogs were the issue . And I’m very grateful for everyone’s opinions - whilst part of me remains firm I can’t lie when I say that lots of people on here have made me wonder what their life will be like where and how it will effect us trying to settle in a nice place with our son.
Anyway - BIZARRELY, they offered to take the cats for us???? Now they have never owned cats , they know our cats but baring in mind they wouldn’t have us to stay this baffled me completely. Nics mum is very easy going so the actual difficult one is my father in law , he didn’t disagree just simply rolled his eyes - this is usually a yes as a no is met with a flat out no.

So now I have a dilemma - yes this isn’t a definite answer from them but they wouldn’t mention it if it wasn’t an option. However they are pushing for us to keep the house and rent it out - taking out some equity to give us what we need to pay a bond, a month or so rent , cheap run around car etc.

Now I know them - this is purely because they want us to return having not succeeded as they think we will be back - something I can’t categorically say won’t happen but I wanted to financially cut ties with the UK because if the house is here ready for Us i can imagine returning instead of fighting the hard times of adapting to a new country .

Am I crazy? Is renting our house out the better option having removed some equity? Nic did some figures and the rates are good at the moment so if we removed some equity after renegotiation Our mortgage on the new rate would stay the same as currently so we’d be able to secure about £500 a month from renting it which we’d have to keep by for maintenance of our property etc

The minute another idea gets thrown around I start to wobble on what’s the best idea - as you can tell from the above I haven’t got a clue.

I think you might have a solution.   Let your in-laws take the cats FOR NOW.  

I do worry how well the cats will adapt to Australian life, BUT that has never been my big concern.  My worry was that trying to find rental places (either in the UK or Australia) was made practically impossible because you have three animals. Whereas if you migrate with just the dog, and (secretly) plan to bring the cats over once you're finally settled, that would make your life an awful lot easier.  

The other thing is that by that time, you'll know where you'll be living and what the attitude to cats is locally.  It varies a lot from place to place (though I do hope you'll still consider the wildlife - Australian small animals and birds don't move all that fast, so even a lazy cat can kill them just because they're being curious and want to play). 

• Like 1

I wanted to financially cut ties with the UK because if the house is here ready for Us i can imagine returning instead of fighting the hard times of adapting to a new country .

I'm not sure that's the right way to look at it.  If you are enjoying Australia and feel good about the place, you'll stay even if you have a few hiccups.  If you're unnerved enough to run back to the UK - which won't be a cheap option even if the house is sitting there - then maybe it's not the right place for you anyway.  I love living here but it doesn't suit everyone.

The important thing to do is to get an accountant to give you a professional opinion.  If you keep the house, you'll need to keep submitting a UK tax return even once you're resident in Australia.  You have to know whether you'll have any Capital Gains Tax liability in either country, depending how long you hold on to it (I think probably not, but you should check) . It can all get a bit complicated but it could be a good option if the numbers stack up. 

I'm not sure that's the right way to look at it.  If you are enjoying Australia and feel good about the place, you'll stay even if you have a few hiccups.  If you're unnerved enough to run back to the UK - which won't be a cheap option even if the house is sitting there - then maybe it's not the right place for you anyway.  I love living here but it doesn't suit everyone.
The important thing to do is to get an accountant to give you a professional opinion.  If you keep the house, you'll need to keep submitting a UK tax return even once you're resident in Australia.  You have to know whether you'll have any Capital Gains Tax liability in either country, depending how long you hold on to it (I think probably not, but you should check) . It can all get a bit complicated but it could be a good option if the numbers stack up. 

Unfortunately my father in law is an accountant but he’s also hell bent on us not going and very old school accountant too. I have to admit I don’t understand the tax stuff

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I think you might have a solution.   Let your in-laws take the cats FOR NOW.  

I do worry how well the cats will adapt to Australian life, BUT that has never been my big concern.  My worry was that trying to find rental places (either in the UK or Australia) was made practically impossible because you have three animals. Whereas if you migrate with just the dog, and (secretly) plan to bring the cats over once you're finally settled, that would make your life an awful lot easier.  

The other thing is that by that time, you'll know where you'll be living and what the attitude to cats is locally.  It varies a lot from place to place (though I do hope you'll still consider the wildlife - Australian small animals and birds don't move all that fast, so even a lazy cat can kill them just because they're being curious and want to play). 

Great plan. Much easier to move the cats later once settled.

Unfortunately my father in law is an accountant but he’s also hell bent on us not going and very old school accountant too. I have to admit I don’t understand the tax stuff

A British accountant won’t do, no matter how well trained they are. You need someone with good experience of the tax regime in both countries and how they interact. We’ve seen people getting in real trouble because they relied on their usual accountant’s advice. Alan Collett posts here on the forums and is very knowledgeable 

A British accountant won’t do, no matter how well trained they are. You need someone with good experience of the tax regime in both countries and how they interact. We’ve seen people getting in real trouble because they relied on their usual accountant’s advice. Alan Collett posts here on the forums and is very knowledgeable 

I’m sorry if I’m being stupid , why does it it matter about knowing the tax law In Australia with regards to renting our property here until we are ready to buy in aus ?

7 hours ago, scubacam said:

I’m sorry if I’m being stupid , why does it it matter about knowing the tax law In Australia with regards to renting our property here until we are ready to buy in aus ?

Because the rent on your British property is income. 

It's a general rule that whatever country you're resident in, that's where you pay your taxes.  So once you're living in Australia, when you fill out your Australian tax return, you will declare ALL your income wherever it's earned, including the rent on your British house.

Of course you also claim your expenses, but they are calculated differently in Australia to the way it's done in the UK, so you'll need someone who knows how to do that (as I said on another thread, most Australians who own property use a tax agent, it's normal).

You will also have to lodge a British tax return, but only for the income you earn within the UK.   That doesn't mean you pay tax twice, though.  There's an agreement so the British tax gets offset against your Australian tax.  But that's why you need a tax agent to make sure it's done properly, otherwise it gets confusing.  

If your home is quite new, then owning it can actually save you quite a bit in tax because of the way the Australian tax system works, but again, you need advice from an expert before you rent it out, to make sure you maximise your expense claims.  

Edited by Marisawright

7 hours ago, scubacam said:

Surely we are just bringing our lump some over once we’ve paid whatever tax is payable in the uk, not sure how it’s different to if we bought the money over if we sell it when we go

It's nothing to do with the lump sum. 

If you sell your house now, it's none of the Australian government's business.  The proceeds are just money in the bank.

If you wait until you're living in Australia, you're now an Australian with a foreign investment.  You're liable to pay tax on the profits from that foreign investment.  I don't know all the ins and outs of how much you'd be taxed, which is why you need an expert to help you.  It could still be worth it, because there are exemptions if you've lived in the house yourself (as opposed to a place that's always been rented out), so it might be fine - but I think you need to know for sure.

Personally, unless it's going to cost a lot in tax, I think keeping the house could be a good idea.  It sounds as though it will keep the in-laws on-side and make your transition much, much easier.