Does Traffic offense effects citizenship??

mzubair

Hi,

In my last 4 years, I have almost 18 demerit points.

Offenses with Learner License 

1) Driving without L plate and without assistance of Full License holder in NSW state.

2) Kids seats were not properly restrained.

Offenses with Full License 

3) Over speeding under 10KM

4) Red light Signal brake

5) Red light Signal brake

6) Over speed above 10KM  License suspended after 13+ demerit points

7) Few parking offenses during last 4 years

Do I have to declare all above offenses in my Citizenship Application and would that effect my application???

Regards,

Edited by mzubair

No idea if it will affect the outcome. 

I did a quick google and found this. Keep in mind it is one case and one outcome. 

https://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/punjabi/en/article/2017/08/01/ritnesh-kumar-denied-australian-citizenship-over-traffic-offences

I would hazard a guess and say it could well go against you if you fail to disclose. And if you are needing to ask people to write a character reference for you, you should research if you should inform them of these offences before they write their statement. I'd think it would be important people writing that you are of good character etc at least know you have stacked up some traffic offences before putting pen to paper as it were. 

I'd also say in future, ensure you check your car over weekly so you can notice things like a failed break light and get it changed asap (I do, its not difficult to get into the habit on a Friday evening to check the car over quickly so you can fix any minor defects over the weekend). And ensure you follow the road rules and don't do anything to risk racking up more points. If you need a brush up course, might be a good idea to take one. 

Has your case gone to court?  I would assume yes due to the seriousness with driving without the L plate. Then immi knows anyway and you have to declare it. You have to sign in the citizenship app if you have ever a court case filed against you.

On 1/4/2018 at 13:45, silencio said:

Has your case gone to court?  I would assume yes due to the seriousness with driving without the L plate. Then immi knows anyway and you have to declare it. You have to sign in the citizenship app if you have ever a court case filed against you.

I have never been to court. I was having overseas license. but still I think I will declare it.

On 1/3/2018 at 17:11, snifter said:

No idea if it will affect the outcome. 

I did a quick google and found this. Keep in mind it is one case and one outcome. 

https://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/punjabi/en/article/2017/08/01/ritnesh-kumar-denied-australian-citizenship-over-traffic-offences

I would hazard a guess and say it could well go against you if you fail to disclose. And if you are needing to ask people to write a character reference for you, you should research if you should inform them of these offences before they write their statement. I'd think it would be important people writing that you are of good character etc at least know you have stacked up some traffic offences before putting pen to paper as it were. 

I'd also say in future, ensure you check your car over weekly so you can notice things like a failed break light and get it changed asap (I do, its not difficult to get into the habit on a Friday evening to check the car over quickly so you can fix any minor defects over the weekend). And ensure you follow the road rules and don't do anything to risk racking up more points. If you need a brush up course, might be a good idea to take one. 

Thanks , very informative.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2018 at 16:50, mzubair said:

Hi,

In my last 4 years, I have almost 18 demerit points.

Offenses with Learner License 

1) Driving without L plate and without assistance of Full License holder in NSW state.

2) Kids seats were not properly restrained.

Offenses with Full License 

3) Over speeding under 10KM

4) Red light Signal brake

5) Red light Signal brake

6) Over speed above 10KM  License suspended after 13+ demerit points

7) Few parking offenses during last 4 years

Do I have to declare all above offenses in my Citizenship Application and would that effect my application???

Regards,

Unsure if being irresponsible will affect your application...I doubt it. But you need to raise your game!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, alscotoz said:

Unsure if being irresponsible will affect your application...I doubt it. But you need to raise your game!

When you have a driving record like that then they probably should have some sort of penalty applied.............atrocious driving record that.

Edited by Wa7

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 20:43, Tulip1 said:

I think it should effect the decision, you sound like a danger to others on the road, shameful

Did I hit anyone on the road?
I have major demerit points at the time of double demerit, I have seen many local drivers worse then me.

Anyways Thanks for your input.
I am looking for reasonable input, if anyone experienced same ?

I don’t recall declaring my 3 demerit points on my citizen ship application recently.  I think it says for driving offences that go to court or possibly a ban, either way I didn’t fall into that category.  What does it actually ask on the application form?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mzubair said:

I have major demerit points at the time of double demerit, I have seen many local drivers worse then me.

Are you on an Australian licence or an overseas one? If you have PR are you not meant to apply for an aus licence within a certain period of time? 

Poor driving standards as evidenced by your record will eventuate in ‘hitting someone on the road’ or worse.

Shape up and man up, or demerit points and how they affect your citizenship may be the least of your worries.
  • Like 1

Instead of opining that you think you see worse drivers on the roads, how about taking an advanced driving course or such so that you can a) become a more responsible driver b) show that you are taking responsibility for your actions in case your character in citizenship ever does get called into question and c) hopefully reduce the likelihood of you ever having to go to court in case of an accident which could, potentially, risk your citizenship.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Toots said:

Beats me how some lousy drivers I've witnessed managed to pass their driving test.

Thats the thing though. not everyone driving around has to pass a test in oz. i learned in uk so could just drive in oz even though I didnt follow all the proper oz road rules. My husband made me to some driver lessons in oz cause he said I were going to kill someone. I wasn't happy to do it but it did show me how different some things are.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2018 at 14:41, snifter said:

Are you on an Australian licence or an overseas one? If you have PR are you not meant to apply for an aus licence within a certain period of time? 

Yeah, I've got the Full Australian Licence after 4 months, the period is 3 months.
The mistake I did that I was becoming more honest, I shouldn't have taken "Learner" after knowledge Test as I already have Full overseas Licence and should go straight for Full Aussi License.

But still, I am not able to find someone who faced similar experience in demerit points before citizenship, and found any issue in citizenship process.

Edited by mzubair

On 1/17/2018 at 14:22, CeltInCaulfield said:

Shameful was pretty reasonable input, in my opinion.

I can think of a lot of four letter words that would better suit describing a driver with those 'standards'.

Please go ahead, use your four letter words. this is not the meant of this thread. but unfortunately many like you only for troll.

On 1/17/2018 at 22:18, Toots said:

Beats me how some lousy drivers I've witnessed managed to pass their driving test.

True, I have seen many worse local drivers. And after that I am sure I am not bad then them.
But I have improved alot and still improving. Thanks :)

19 hours ago, Booma said:

Thats the thing though. not everyone driving around has to pass a test in oz. i learned in uk so could just drive in oz even though I didnt follow all the proper oz road rules. My husband made me to some driver lessons in oz cause he said I were going to kill someone. I wasn't happy to do it but it did show me how different some things are.

Good advise, Thanks for it. :)

On 1/17/2018 at 17:28, Quoll said:

Instead of opining that you think you see worse drivers on the roads, how about taking an advanced driving course or such so that you can a) become a more responsible driver b) show that you are taking responsibility for your actions in case your character in citizenship ever does get called into question and c) hopefully reduce the likelihood of you ever having to go to court in case of an accident which could, potentially, risk your citizenship.

Yup, already doing advance course for myself.
But that is true, there are many worse drivers on the road. This was the comment for those who were here to troll only. Thanks