Why do UK supermarkets need uniformed security guard?

Peach

17 hours ago, Peach said:

I often wondered why they're much less common in Australia?  Quite threatening to see a security desk in ASDA IMHO, but I guess I got used to it.

Also, I was also shocked by the number of cities in the UK where people put bars on their windows.  Here in Canberra, my windows don't even need locks. 

A different world indeed.

When you have massive divisions in society there must of course be repercussions. It'll come to Australia, already in stages and house breaking is high in certain Australian burbs.

At least neither country has shop doors locked, requiring person to ring a bell to gain entry, as is the case in a number of South African businesses.

One of the good things about living in a no through road- you know most people and recognise strange vehicles. We don't have to lock up either ( but usually do, though sometimes forget). We haven't had any probs with parcels left at the front door when we are out unlike some in other suburbs. Our last house which we left in 1992 we hardly ever bothered to lock unless we were away on hols.

11 hours ago, starlight7 said:

One of the good things about living in a no through road- you know most people and recognise strange vehicles. We don't have to lock up either ( but usually do, though sometimes forget). We haven't had any probs with parcels left at the front door when we are out unlike some in other suburbs. Our last house which we left in 1992 we hardly ever bothered to lock unless we were away on hols.

My dad lives on a no through road in an no through estate and he got hit by a walk in burglary.  The street he lives on only has 8 houses and everyone knows each other but it still happened and know one noticed anyone strange around.  It only takes a few minutes for someone to slip in, take anything left laying around and leave again.  Our area is pretty safe but we still latch our front door when we are inside just in case.  Even with a dog in the house.

On 11/18/2017 at 17:29, VERYSTORMY said:

Here in Scotland I couldn't even tell you where my front door key is as I have never used it. Doors are just kept unlocked. Some of my neighbours not only don't lock their car doors, but leave the keys in the ignition over night. 

In Oz, a huge number of houses where we lived were not only kept locked but with steel shutters over the windows. 

None of the supermarkets I have visited in Scotland, even in central Glasgow have a uniformed security. Only time I have was in Newcastle. 

Stores close to you with that i know have uniformed security; Asda - Motherwell, Blantyre and Hamilton, Sainsurys - Hamilton,  Morrisons - Hamilton, Bellshill, Easterhouse, Tesco - Bellshill, Uddingston, Wishaw. In fact I can't think of any of the major stores I've been into in Lanarkshire or Glasgow that doesn't have uniformed security.

On 18/11/2017 at 20:01, Peach said:

This tickled me too.. http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/23/sainsburys-accused-of-racism-for-security-tagging-cans-of-jamaican-ackee-6799450/

Imagine having to lock away items costing less than a fiver?  Even in rural Wiltshire, my local corner shop kept the instant coffee behind the counter.  Too many shoplifters needing a caffeine fix, I guess.

Peach I worked in retail security for years n Australia and coffee was a high risk commodity in the supermarkets along with razor blades - but both were often stolen by the trolley load on a regular basis 

Theft from shops is a huge problem both in the UK and Australia some of the large departmental stores loose millions each year

I live and worked in SA and we had gangs drive from interstate in rental cars , hire motel rooms and try to wipe the stores clean its was like a buisnes to them 

Uniformed security is put in as a deterrent to try to stop an offence before it happens Does not always work unfortunately 

• Like 1

I have never seen security guards in the shops except when they are collecting cash. Guess I must be lucky .Surptised what you say about South Australia as I thought it was really safe, safer than Victoria where we have had some problems lately because of new immigrants who haven't learned how to live here yet.

I personally would rather see a uniformed security guard than have a random member of staff insist on seeing the contents of my shopping bag before I leave the store ...  this used to enrage me.  I could not understand how a company  (K Mart in particular) would rather search a customer than attach security tags onto clothing and install cctv.  Maybe the security screens/bars issue just occurs in inner cities ??  I've never noticed them where I live but did in inner Sydney, however, although I have accidentally forgotten to lock the car or front door at times I wouldn't make a habit of it ... it's lovely where I live with a great community but, as with other lovely communities, the grotty people will drive to 'work', they keep the most strange  hours ... Normally 2 - 5 am :) 

34 minutes ago, blondie said:

I personally would rather see a uniformed security guard than have a random member of staff insist on seeing the contents of my shopping bag before I leave the store ...  this used to enrage me.  I could not understand how a company  (K Mart in particular) would rather search a customer than attach security tags onto clothing and install cctv.  Maybe the security screens/bars issue just occurs in inner cities ??  I've never noticed them where I live but did in inner Sydney, however, although I have accidentally forgotten to lock the car or front door at times I wouldn't make a habit of it ... it's lovely where I live with a great community but, as with other lovely communities, the grotty people will drive to 'work', they keep the most strange  hours ... Normally 2 - 5 am :) 

We live on the Sunshine Coast a reasonably safe area and have security screens, no bars, on our windows and doors.

Why? well the obvious reason is security as it is very hot and humid in summer, beautiful for most of the rest of the year, so most of us leave our windows open day and night and doors open in the daytime,  for the cooling breezes and fresh air. Also keeps the flying insects, and snakes out. 

41 minutes ago, blondie said:

Tags get taken off , cameras there are legal requirements mean there are strict criteria for detection and apprehension hence bag inspections 

Kmart do not search they inspect bags ( or thats what they are supposed to do ) I never mind my bag being inspected it does not bother me 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, starlight7 said:

I have never seen security guards in the shops except when they are collecting cash. Guess I must be lucky .Surptised what you say about South Australia as I thought it was really safe, safer than Victoria where we have had some problems lately because of new immigrants who haven't learned how to live here yet.

SA has had bad problems for years - probably no better or no worse than other states 

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 02:35, Pura Vida said:

When you have massive divisions in society there must of course be repercussions. It'll come to Australia, already in stages and house breaking is high in certain Australian burbs.

At least neither country has shop doors locked, requiring person to ring a bell to gain entry, as is the case in a number of South African businesses.

Britain is 20 years behind the u .s , and oz is 20 years behind Britain .

the poverty and division I saw in the u.s was frightening ...you just don't see that in Europe ,not on that scale anyway .

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 08:58, Peach said:

I often wondered why they're much less common in Australia?  Quite threatening to see a security desk in ASDA IMHO, but I guess I got used to it.

Also, I was also shocked by the number of cities in the UK where people put bars on their windows.  Here in Canberra, my windows don't even need locks. 

A different world indeed.

peach - I understand your post ...but , I work in areas of the u.k where most of the people on this board wouldn't get out of the car ( I think simmo does as well ).

but , of all the crap I see , I cant recall seeing bars on peoples windows ., even in inner city brum ...where did you get that from.?

if I had seen it on a regular basis , I would agree with you , I just haven't seen it

you don't need to tell me how rough places are ...i know ?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

peach - I understand your post ...but , I work in areas of the u.k where most of the people on this board wouldn't get out of the car ( I think simmo does as well ).

but , of all the crap I see , I cant recall seeing bars on peoples windows ., even in inner city brum ...where did you get that from.?

if I had seen it on a regular basis , I would agree with you , I just haven't seen it

you don't need to tell me how rough places are ...i know ?

I don't think you need to understand Peachs post, the reason behind the post seems quite clear but it's probably fair to say it backfired somewhat. I don't recall ever seeing bars on people's windows either and the uniformed guards are in both countries so maybe there was an agenda at work ?

28 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

the poverty and division I saw in the u.s was frightening ...you just don't see that in Europe ,not on that scale anyway .

I certainly agree about the situation in the US, it was a real eye opener and unlike anything I had seen anywhere. I see little difference between here and Australia and I don' don't see either getting like the US because we have an effective safety net in both countries. 

1 hour ago, bristolman said:

I don't think you need to understand Peachs post, the reason behind the post seems quite clear but it's probably fair to say it backfired somewhat. I don't recall ever seeing bars on people's windows either and the uniformed guards are in both countries so maybe there was an agenda at work ?

yes I gathered that ....a dig at the u.k dressed in a post ...it happens on both sides .of the debate though .

• Like 4

5 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Maybe that's why we love it so much.

And why Melbourne is the world's most liveable city 7 years in a row.

I hope we don't "catch up"to Britain or the US.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

yes I gathered that ....a dig at the u.k dressed in a post ...it happens on both sides .of the debate though .

Some would argue that a certain side of the debate is tireless at the digging up of negative stories, my team won, everything is so cheap... Every post from some is a dig at someone else.  It's just grinding. Yeah, this was post was a dig on my part -- but I don't see the back fire.  Go to any ground floor office or residence in central London, Bath, Gloucester, Cheltenham etc 'Grilles' are a common site.

window-grille-muswell-hill-kitchen-2.jpg

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bristolman said:

We were in Cheltenham today actually, 'grilles' were conspicuous by their absence ?

So what?  My experience is different to yours?  Maybe they've removed them all in the six years I've been away -- I'm happy to acknowledge that.  But it doesn't make me a liar for saying that they were something I saw a lot of. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Parley said:

Maybe that's why we love it so much.

And why Melbourne is the world's most liveable city 7 years in a row.

I hope we don't "catch up"to Britain or the US.

I think that ,sadly its inevitable that elements of Australia have already caught up ...there are virtual no go areas in Sydney and Melbourne , and I take no pleasure in saying that , because I see it here .

in relation to Melbourne ...it takes all sorts , because as you know ,Melbourne does nothing for me ., and that was way before the 7 years in a row

there is almost a defence mechanism that goes up , when there is a hint of parity or criticism of anything Australian .

I think it must be some form of insecurity .

• Thanks 1