Why do UK supermarkets need uniformed security guard?

Peach

7 hours ago, bristolman said:

In our village we used to get on average of one crime a month, the chimney sweep moved to the next town and now no crimes, coincidence ?

7 hours ago, bristolman said:

In our village we used to get on average of one crime a month, the chimney sweep moved to the next town and now no crimes, coincidence ?

yes , I can imagine you have no issue where you are either Bristol .....where iam is a different matter though

• Haha 1

When I was growing up in Scotland our nearest village had a small police station and 1 policeman on duty.  The nearest town had a larger police station and 4 policemen on duty.  Now both police stations have closed.  The nearest police station is in a town 14 miles away.  Eight other smaller police stations in the county have also closed.  Is this a common thing all over the UK?

13 minutes ago, Toots said:

When I was growing up in Scotland our nearest village had a small police station and 1 policeman on duty.  The nearest town had a larger police station and 4 policemen on duty.  Now both police stations have closed.  The nearest police station is in a town 14 miles away.  Eight other smaller police stations in the county have also closed.  Is this a common thing all over the UK?

The police have more important priorities 

Image result for pride police car

Related image

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Toots said:

Our nearest Police station is about 6 miles away.

On 24/11/2017 at 09:21, Ozzie said:

It definitely is different.  I and many others have said we personally haven't seen security guards uniformed wondering around stores or at the front looking through a screen like they do in the UK and Ireland.  It doesn't mean Australia doesn't have security, of course they must! It's just interesting Australia has adopted a different approach.  I did a shop yesterday in two large stores (big supermarket chains) and made sure I opened my eyes properly looking around for uniformed security guards. There weren't any. They must be plain clothed or have other methods (cctv, etc). There were a few guards in the large shopping centre however. Genuinely wondering why Australia has adopted a different approach. It's been an interesting thread! 

Just to add,  I just remembered I have a friend who is quite senior in marketing for a big supermarket. I sent him a message asking whether he knows if the greeters are actually security guards or not. Will respond once I hear back....

In SA the greeters are not security guards -all security guards including coverts (plain clothed )  are licensed Store staff are not allowed to apprehend -apprehensions must be done by someone with a license 

CCTV is used but not on open display 

Australian stores do have a huge theft problem I worked for one retailer -wont name them - who in one year in one store alone had over 1 million in stock loss 

I think the normal man in the street just does not see or know of the problem An earlier poster said she saw a guy take an item off the rack and walk away - I have seen them take the whole bloody rack LOL 

• Like 1