Why do UK supermarkets need uniformed security guard?

Peach

Just now, ScottieGirl said:

Come to think of of it it's an insurance requirement.  If you were burgled and there was no sign of a break in because the window was open you would not be covered

Maybe if you left the house unoccupied with the windows open?  Besides, even if you lock the windows it's trivial to slide a few tiles out the way and get in through the roof.

2 minutes ago, Peach said:

There's that google outrage again. :)

Good report:

Historically, crime has been cut by more than 13 per cent since 2012, when it reached a five-year peak of 49,986 reported incidents.

No Google never outrages me ?

Yet violent assault has risen by close to 40%. Seems to a worldwide trend. 

32 minutes ago, bristolman said:

Yes you certainly see them in Australian supermarkets and you most certainly see security grilles, not such a different world at all lol. We don't even have locks on our windows and our cars are never locked either. 

Tasmania - well the part where we live is safe enough too.  No locks on windows.  

Have to say though that in all the years we lived in Sydney we were never burgled. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peach said:

Maybe if you left the house unoccupied with the windows open?  Besides, even if you lock the windows it's trivial to slide a few tiles out the way and get in through the roof.

Since I wasn't  burgled in the 20 years I lived there I can't  be certain of the claims policy. Trying to break in in by climbing through the roof would be noticed in Sydney, i imagine it would draw quite a crowd

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Toots said:

Tasmania - well the part where we live is safe enough too.  No locks on windows.  

Have to say though that in all the years we lived in Sydney we were never burgled. 

Yes exactly. I would lock everything in Geelong, same in Brisbane as the house opposite was broken into. Here I wouldnt bother but in any of the towns I would certainly lock up. 

37 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

In Oz, a huge number of houses where we lived were not only kept locked but with steel shutters over the windows. 

We have steel shutters -  for insulation.  In our case it's for cold....in West Australia it would be for heat.

16 minutes ago, Peach said:

No.  If you have locks on your windows - for which you get an insurance premium discount - but your windows are closed but not locked at the time of a burglary, insurance companies will try to wriggle out of paying.  

Besides, even if you lock the windows it's trivial to slide a few tiles out the way and get in through the roof.

Yes, I can just see burglars lifting off the steel roofs of (most of) the houses here.  :S     And even if they're tiled - getting up on a roof and "sliding a few tiles out of the way" is a sure fire way of attracting attention.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skani said:

No.  If you have locks on your windows - for which you get an insurance premium discount - but your windows are closed but not locked at the time of a burglary, insurance companies will try to wriggle out of paying.  

Yes, I can just see burglars lifting off the steel roofs of (most of) the houses here.  :S     And even if they're tiled - getting up on a roof and "sliding a few tiles out of the way" is a sure fire way of attracting attention.

Yes I think most burglars will just move on to the next property, all you can do is minimise risk and make your own property as unattractive to them as possible. 

1 minute ago, bristolman said:

Yes I think most burglars will just move on to the next property, all you can do is minimise risk and make your own property as unattractive to them as possible. 

Those outside lights that go on when someone moves near the property are handy (at night) - also a dog is one of the best burglar deterrents.  Just the barking would put a burglar off.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Toots said:

Those outside lights that go on when someone moves near the property are handy (at night) - also a dog is one of the best burglar deterrents.  Just the barking would put a burglar off.  

Yes, as I say it's a matter of making your property less attractive than your neighbours house as bad as that sounds. We had a high fence all around our house in Brisbane, the house opposite had nothing at all just straight off the footpath, they were burgled. 

I confess I am responsible for a theft at the apartments near my house. The ground floor units had sliding doors that opened on to the patios which had a small gate that led to a lawn and then the public footpath on the waterfront. It was a dog friendly complex and off leash area. Many people left their doors open but one chap also left his gate open. Dog number 1 disappeared. About 5  minutes later he shot out of said apartment followed by a very irate Frenchman yelling something about a missing brie....

Edited by ScottieGirl
  • Haha 3

We have strayed from the original post but to answer the question I suppose UK supermarkets have uniformed guards for exactly the same reason Australian supermarkets have them, security. 

As for the second part of the question I suppose some UK house have bars on the windows for the same reason some Australian houses have them, security. 

I hope that has cleared thing up. 

3 hours ago, bristolman said:

Yes you certainly see them in Australian supermarkets and you most certainly see security grilles, not such a different world at all lol. We don't even have locks on our windows and our cars are never locked either. 

generally the rural areas in the u.k are absolutely fine ....its when you get semi rural close to urban - they are the poor buggers that get their houses and property robbed

3 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Here in Scotland I couldn't even tell you where my front door key is as I have never used it. Doors are just kept unlocked. Some of my neighbours not only don't lock their car doors, but leave the keys in the ignition over night. 

In Oz, a huge number of houses where we lived were not only kept locked but with steel shutters over the windows. 

None of the supermarkets I have visited in Scotland, even in central Glasgow have a uniformed security. Only time I have was in Newcastle. 

on the other hand ...walk into an off license in inner city brum ( and liverpool ) ...i know foe sure ...and you walk into a cubicle , and the shop and cashier are behind a plastic screen ....you ask ...they fetch your order ....you pay ...they give you the stuff

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

on the other hand ...walk into an off license in inner city brum ( and liverpool ) ...i know foe sure ...and you walk into a cubicle , and the shop and cashier are behind a plastic screen ....you ask ...they fetch your order ....you pay ...they give you the stuff

Wow, I've never seen anything like that. Now that is a different world. 

It's all very subjective. There are parts of Australia (inner city and outback) where security is a necessity and probably some areas I wouldn't go, exactly the same as in the UK. 

One of the aspects we loved living in the Middle East was the safety, we could leave our door unlocked, car unlocked, phones and wallets left on the table whilst having a coffee without fear of theft. Muscat was the safest place we ever left, made the West look like an uncivilised shambles. 

• Like 1