Why do UK supermarkets need uniformed security guard?

Peach

18 hours ago, Skani said:

So all those UK firms advertising security grilles for homeowners do it just for fun?   xD

You must have looked particularly dodgy .    In all my many decades in Oz I have never once had my shopping checked -  either in a supermarket or department store.

To be honest I am not aware of houses with security grilles either. We have family in various parts of the UK and I think it's something I would have noticed, but I really haven't. 

And while I have only visited Aus a handful of times,  I too have been asked to open my bag when out shopping. I was a bit taken aback the first time and asked why, which seemed to fluster the member of staff a little but she eventually replied that it was store policy. It seemed a bit random and I got the impression that it had less to do with any suspected theft and more to do with a quota for bag checks, so it would be interesting to know just how successful it is as a strategy to combat shoplifting. T x 

• Like 1

Bag checks are a supposed deterrent to a would-be shoplifter but in my experience, it only makes the shoplifter aware that they need to conceal the item they are stealing

Believe me I have seen the most unlikely things stolen I often said we should have written a book

TV and shock absorbers under long skirts and other items in places you would not want to search!

As for rich and poor I learned never to judge a book by the cover people often steal just because they can

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, simmo said:

I was shocked to see all the stop and searching by security guards in Aussie supermarkets.. ours are very friendly in comparison.

The supermarkets tend to have a staff member on the door who sometimes checks bags, i have been checked twice in 11 years and always in Kmart, once you show the receipt they normally smile and wave you on. Both times they didnt check in depth and if i had wanted to steal something it would have been pretty easy too.

Cal x

15 hours ago, tea4too said:

To be honest I am not aware of houses with security grilles either. We have family in various parts of the UK and I think it's something I would have noticed, but I really haven't. 

And while I have only visited Aus a handful of times,  I too have been asked to open my bag when out shopping. I was a bit taken aback the first time and asked why, which seemed to fluster the member of staff a little but she eventually replied that it was store policy. It seemed a bit random and I got the impression that it had less to do with any suspected theft and more to do with a quota for bag checks, so it would be interesting to know just how successful it is as a strategy to combat shoplifting. T x 

Im not sure i have seen houses in the UK with security grills, here you have that plastic criss cross stuff because windows are left open much more, it is only this last year i have heard Crimsafe Screens being 'pushed on the radio here.

Shops and shopping precincts are a different story, where ive seen in the UK they seem to have steel shutters on all windows and even some doors, here, even in the city lots of shops are still left bare glass with just doors locked,.

Cal x

I feel it's a bit unnerving / unwelcoming to have suited and booted security staff. The people who check bags in the shops here are also "greeters". It's nice to have a friendly smile and "hello/good morning". Not sure why but the pace of shopping for me feels less rushed here. Really enjoying the friendly check out staff too. Still trying to get used to the way they pack bags for you! I find it much easier with my young child.

29 minutes ago, simmo said:

I was shocked to see all the stop and searching by security guards in Aussie supermarkets.. 

Glad I don't live  in Queensland then.  I have NEVER seen a security guard in a supermarket.  I have seen security personnel in stores like K Mart and Big W - but never had a bag checked.  But hey...I've only lived here for most of the last 7 decades...so I'd obviously know a lot less than those who don't live here.  :S

4 minutes ago, Skani said:

Glad I don't live  in Queensland then.  I have NEVER seen a security guard in a supermarket.  I have seen security personnel in stores like K Mart and Big W - but never had a bag checked.  But hey...I've only lived here for most of the last 7 decades...so I'd obviously know a lot less than those who don't live here.  :S

Don't worry i have lived in QLD 11 years and never seen them in Woolys, Coles or Aldis, only in Kmart or Big w shopping plaza type stores, even then they are staff in normal uniform but you do see security guys randomly walking around the corridors in the Plaza's sometimes.

Cal x

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Skani said:

yes..  apparently it's getting really bad. Supermarkets all over aus are having to put security tags on the meat!!  Cameras everywhere.  Maybe you don't notice it because you are old. 

From last year.

Number of Coles shoplifting apprehensions this year:

New South Wales:

• Total: 6,743
  • Self-serve: 2,697

Queensland:

• Total: 3,173
  • Self-serve: 1,714

South Australia:

• Total: 3,667
  • Self-serve: 1,687

Victoria:

• Total: 5,057
  • Self-serve: 2,174

Western Australia:

• Total: 3,800
  • Self-serve: 1,292

Australia:

• Total: 22,440
  • Self-serve: 9,564

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, calNgary said:

Don't worry i have lived in QLD 11 years and never seen them in Woolys, Coles or Aldis, only in Kmart or Big w shopping plaza type stores, even then they are staff in normal uniform but you do see security guys randomly walking around the corridors in the Plaza's sometimes.

Cal x

When I lived in queensland it was quite common to see bag checkers in supermarkets. By the time i left last year they were less  of a thing though. I do know someone who was asked to remove all her upper clothing before they would let her through a supermarket checkout - she was ill, shivering, and trying to cope with the cold from the air con, so had her jacket wrapped round her while the guy with her paid for their shopping. I'm not kidding, they wouldn't let her through unless she stripped off, in public, to show she had no concealed goods. She took the husband's shopping, threw it at the cashier, and walked out. That supermarket lost a lot of customers once the locals got to hear about it. 

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

When I lived in queensland it was quite common to see bag checkers in supermarkets. By the time i left last year they were less  of a thing though. I do know someone who was asked to remove all her upper clothing before they would let her through a supermarket checkout - she was ill, shivering, and trying to cope with the cold from the air con, so had her jacket wrapped round her while the guy with her paid for their shopping. I'm not kidding, they wouldn't let her through unless she stripped off, in public, to show she had no concealed goods. She took the husband's shopping, threw it at the cashier, and walked out. That supermarket lost a lot of customers once the locals got to hear about it. 

I think they have learned that the bag searches where a bit of an invasion of privacy and stopped them.  Much more reliance on cctv and plain clothes store dicks now

6 hours ago, simmo said:

I think they have learned that the bag searches where a bit of an invasion of privacy and stopped them.  Much more reliance on cctv and plain clothes store dicks now

They were still doing them when we left, we would have our bags checked probably 50% of the time leaving Kmart or BigW.

I'm really not sure why someone would feel in anyway intimidated by a security guard in a supermarket, it' not as if they follow you around the shop, besides the only supermarket I have seen one is Sainsbury's.

The checkout staff are friendly and chatty and always offer to pack your bags, it's actually quicker and better to do it ourselves so we can separate stuff. 

10 hours ago, calNgary said:

Im not sure i have seen houses in the UK with security grills, here you have that plastic criss cross stuff because windows are left open much more, it is only this last year i have heard Crimsafe Screens being 'pushed on the radio here.

Shops and shopping precincts are a different story, where ive seen in the UK they seem to have steel shutters on all windows and even some doors, here, even in the city lots of shops are still left bare glass with just doors locked,.

Cal x

It really is pretty unusual to see shops with steel shutters on Windows and doors, like in Oz it would only be in the rough areas, we used to see them in Woodridge and surrounding suburbs. Those familiar with the area will understand what I mean.

We must be lucky our bags are beautifully packed and sorted into cold / dry etc. Not too many items in each bag/just enough to fill it without being too heavy. Bit of an art form lol!   It's so refreshing for them to just pack/not have to ask them whilst I'm  trying to keep a toddler amused at the end of a big shop. They're so friendly and chatty, takes a bit to get used to this change, albeit a lovely change. My only grumble, I take my own bags as QLD doesn't have the "pay for bags" yet. Bring it in pronto please! It's great to see no security guards, makes a pleasant shopping experience to me met with smile and welcome rather than a uniformed security guard hunched over a security screen. Although maybe they're still around and as they're not uniformed I don't see them!  Need four sets of eyes with a toddler and a big shop!

13 hours ago, simmo said:

yes..  apparently it's getting really bad. Supermarkets all over aus are having to put security tags on the meat!!  Cameras everywhere.  Maybe you don't notice it because you are old. 

From last year.

Number of Coles shoplifting apprehensions this year:

New South Wales:

• Total: 6,743
  • Self-serve: 2,697

Queensland:

• Total: 3,173
  • Self-serve: 1,714

South Australia:

• Total: 3,667
  • Self-serve: 1,687

Victoria:

• Total: 5,057
  • Self-serve: 2,174

Western Australia:

• Total: 3,800
  • Self-serve: 1,292

Australia:

• Total: 22,440
  • Self-serve: 9,564

Truth is its not getting really bad -its been ad for years

10 hours ago, simmo said:

Staff are supposed to ask to inspect and not say check - check is an implication that something is in your bag

Staff are not supposed to put their hands in your bag -if they want something moved so they can see into the bag they ask you to do it 

Most large retailers went to uniformed security a long time ago in an attempt to deter would be shop lifters 

CCTV is a minefield as there is a criteria for apprehension the same as coverts - I was a Store D (covert ) for years trust me its a tough job

7 hours ago, bristolman said:

I'm really not sure why someone would feel in anyway intimidated by a security guard in a supermarket, it' not as if they follow you around the shop, besides the only supermarket I have seen one is Sainsbury's.

The checkout staff are friendly and chatty and always offer to pack your bags, it's actually quicker and better to do it ourselves so we can separate stuff. 

most supermarkets around here have them but as you say hardly intimidating.  They chat to the regulars, help the old girls with bags and occasionally catch a shoplifter.

What's all the fuss about?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, simmo said:

most supermarkets around here have them but as you say hardly intimidating.  They chat to the regulars, help the old girls with bags and occasionally catch a shoplifter.

What's all the fuss about?

I don't know what all the fuss is about either.  I haven't come across security guards or bag checkers here but definitely in Sydney.  Didn't bother me at all.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toots said:

I don't know what all the fuss is about either.  I haven't come across security guards or bag checkers here but definitely in Sydney.  Didn't bother me at all.  

I didn't even realise there was a fuss. Maybe I am getting old!

3 minutes ago, Toots said:

I have no probs with security guards until they want to start rummaging around in my handbag  

15 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Doesn't sound like that was at all legal.  I would have been furious too.  :mad: