Is it time?

Scousers1

........family commitment has a way of holding us...!

.......but to be unhappy while only seeing others needs 

.........won’t help the situation

.........perhaps by going and trying to see if your happier in the uk

........your daughter will accept the situation and either make her own life here

........or find returning to be with you is what she needs

.........life passes quickly who knows what’s ahead

.........be happy with your decisions 

..........good luck with whatever you decide

• Like 1

On 4/16/2017 at 17:02, Scousers1 said:

I think i have just realised after 29 years here that it just doesnt work without family and friends. I have fought off feelings for most of this time and i have exhausted myself with what about this and what about that. Well finally i have realised i need my family my friends and my home. How do i tell hubby and daughter?

I'm in a similar boat after 10 years. That said, I just went back recently and moving back to the NW wouldn't work for the wife and me, it's just too depressing. There's nothing going on and the weather's always shite. We've looked at other areas to move to but that might not alleviate the homesickness as every person I know never ventures outside their postcode. So, bit stumped.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Scousers1 said:

I just could not leave her behind, we fight but we are very close too. I am scared to force her to go incase it turns out to be the wrong thing

Its ok for you to be happy you know?

You don't need to force anyone to do anything, just go on your own, It's her choice.

Looking ahead with it all, you could get back to the uk and set yourself up in a nice place, then your daughter may come over and stay with you for a few months and get a proper feel for it and decide she will give it a go after all.

On the other hand you may not enjoy it yourself quite as much as you thought and decide to return to Aus but atleast you did it instead of thinking " what if ".

Its a horrible situation to be in but you really do need to get some closure on it for your own good. X

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Wa7 said:

Its ok for you to be happy you know?

You don't need to force anyone to do anything, just go on your own, It's her choice.

Looking ahead with it all, you could get back to the uk and set yourself up in a nice place, then your daughter may come over and stay with you for a few months and get a proper feel for it and decide she will give it a go after all.

On the other hand you may not enjoy it yourself quite as much as you thought and decide to return to Aus but atleast you did it instead of thinking " what if ".

Its a horrible situation to be in but you really do need to get some closure on it for your own good. X

I think you are right, i need to take some action on this or it will drive me crazy. I have also thought about a house swap for a while to see how we feel. Thanks for your input

• Like 1

Friends have come and gone that many times. I have mostly had Aussie friends but some poms too, plus sri lankans, malays etc and they never stay in Melbourne. I was talking to another girl from Liverpool yesterday about it and thinking of all the ones who have been friends here that have left, either interstste or overseas and it has been alot. So, friends wise only a couple left! Family, of course hubby and daughter are my family but back home i have cousins, aunties etc who i would spend alot of time with. Interestingly, no one has moved away back home except me!

1 hour ago, ScottieGirl said:

That is very much a Scouse thing. My inlaws are scousers and when my husband moved to London and people asked his mum what he did for a living she spat our 'he's  in dat London'. Not a word about his successful  career. 

My mother in law was part of a large Irish/Liverpudlian family.  She never settled in Australia after migrating and when her husband died (in his early 40s) she didn't think twice about moving back to the UK.  My OH was 17 at the time and his little sister was a few years younger.  They were instantly absorbed back into the family in Liverpool though mother in law moved to London and had a good job there until she retired.  We lived in Wallasey for a few years and had some good times with my OH's extended family.  They are a great bunch of people. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scousers1 said:

Ha... I am from Wallasey and mum is from Liverpool so alot of family on both sides of the Mersey!

I used to walk down to the train station at New Brighton to catch the  train to work in the city centre.  Used to work in an office above Marks & Spencer.

5 hours ago, Scousers1 said:

Friends have come and gone that many times. I have mostly had Aussie friends but some poms too, plus sri lankans, malays etc and they never stay in Melbourne. I was talking to another girl from Liverpool yesterday about it and thinking of all the ones who have been friends here that have left, either interstste or overseas and it has been alot. So, friends wise only a couple left! Family, of course hubby and daughter are my family but back home i have cousins, aunties etc who i would spend alot of time with. Interestingly, no one has moved away back home except me!

We have found the same in Perth. I don't think a single person remains here from late 90's. Loads moved overseas, but also to Melbourne and Sydney. Almost all were foreign born. I thought that was a Perth thing? Looks from your experience, the same thing in Melbourne. But London the same as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toots said:

I used to walk down to the train station at New Brighton to catch the  train to work in the city centre.  Used to work in an office above Marks & Spencer.

Wow.. We could have been neighbours!! How long ago was this? New Brighton is looking fab now, they have really brought it back to life.

19 minutes ago, Scousers1 said:

Wow.. We could have been neighbours!! How long ago was this? New Brighton is looking fab now, they have really brought it back to life.

36 years ago.  Where we lived was so handy for everything.  Shops, bank, post office, fish 'n chip shop, Chinese, all just round the corner.  Great neighbours too.  Glad to know New Brighton is looking good.  It was a bit run down when we lived there.  Used to enjoy the ferry trip from Birkenhead to Pier Head.  

• Like 1

On 23/11/2017 at 22:53, Scousers1 said:

No, nothing said at all. It is driving me mad but i know if i bring it up we will end up fighting. We are back in OZ and all as depressed as ever! I find it way to hard to function here, it doesnt help when there is no talk about the holiday. I have been trying for way too many years to make this work for us, but now i have finally realised i have been trying for way too long. It was easier in the past but most people we know have either moved on or back to UK or even family have passed on. When we first came here there was so much to do and so many people around. Now there is just us and its not enough. Honestly do not know what to do 

What made you move to Aus in the first place?

On 11/23/2017 at 17:46, Scousers1 said:

She says she will not move though.

You seem very dependent on your daughter's decision.  She  is 19 and will be transitioning into an independent life.  There is no guarantee she won't obtain employment or  a partner  in the future which requires a move far away from wherever you live - either in Australia or the UK.

However, what is the attitude of your husband?  Won't he consider a return to the UK if you are really miserable?  If you are convinced you will be much happier there  and he's not prepared to compromise,  you may have to make a hard call.  There's no point living your life in misery and blaming others for it.

• Like 3

I have a 17 and 19 year old and we are going back next year and at the moment both my boys are looking forward to the move but I’m like you I’ve already said we all go together or we stay here I couldn’t bare leaving one or both here on the other side of the world.  If they decide later in life to come back here then I’ll deal with it but at the moment thankfully they are onboard   What state do you live in

• Like 2

I was born in the Uk and my parents emigrated to NSW when i was 7..i was never interested in going back to the uk. 2 of my kids are now living there and i have just returned to Australia after a 6 week visit to all the family including a sister still living  in the uk. I am feeling very lost since i got back, my husband who is aussie loved it over there and wants to move there...im kinda feeling the same but not sure so much to think about. I loved being back and seeing all my extended family and my kids especially. I still have a sister and a brother and one daughter in Australia and of course friends....I have really been struggling since i came home.

• Like 1