I'm so stressed... to go back, right or wrong decision?

Rainman

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bus and tube fares are very low especially if you have an oyster card. you do not catch a train to move within london.

You don't need an Oyster card. Within Zone 1 (iirc) you can scan your contactless card on public transport and TFL will cap your spend once it gets to £6.50 per day no matter how many journeys you take.

The same can't be said for travel from outside that area which is very expensive. You can't use railcards until 10am, or any peak services, so they're useless for commuters/students.

No one on £40k could afford a mortgage for anything within zone 1. Our income is a lot higher and we couldn't afford anything worth living in there either. I do know people who have bought in Islington, but they have private income on top of very high six figure salaries, and we're talking about tiny flats, not family homes.

To be fair though the OP isn't looking at buying in London but plan on looking at the area we are in some years down the track. As you say though buying on 40k would be a dream at best.

I agree. I know he's not looking at buying in central London - I was pointing out that the low fares that PB suggests are only within a small area, so much higher fares must be considered if you're looking at commuting any distance.

I should have mentioned I wouldn't be working in the centre of London, but in West London, close to Greenford and I would be driving, not getting the train.

This is the plan that I'm hoping could work without totally ruining our quality of life (please point out the holes). We buy a house as soon as we can either somewhere in Dorset, Gloucestershire or Hereford and Worcester. All areas that we love and great places to live. The location is obviously very dependant on house price and hopefully we can get a house where our mortgage is around 800 pounds a month MAX. I would rent a room 4 days a week, close to my work (my mate's sister in law rents rooms out at around 80 pounds a week). Then I would drive home on a Friday night to our beautiful house in the country (wishful thinking). As long as our outgoings for mortgage and rent don't exceed 1200 pound s a month and keep fuel costs to the minimum, I think that is workable?

I'm not under any illusions it wouldn't be difficult at times but I believe the quality time would outweigh the crap times. In many ways it wouldn't be that different if we had to relocate to Sydney and I know where I'd rather be.

After 5 years, we would assess the situation and if financially it stacked up, I'd get a job working locally though right now I've no idea what I'd do...though I'd love to run a B&B!

I wake up at night thinking what the hell am I doing, it's total madness what I'm persuading my family to do and they're loyally agreeing to my plans because they're relying on me having done the homework and I know what I'm doing but do I? But, in the cold light of day when I think about our life here, although we do have a good standard of living and yes, the weather's great a lot of the time, we don't do anything exciting or interesting. We've got a couple of acquaintances that we have over for dinner from time to time but that doesn't happen often. We could go on like that until suddenly we find we're in our Seventies and then it's too late.

I do miss the days when the kids were younger when we had a large group of friends because all our kids went to the same Primary school. Often in the summer because we lived closest to their school, the parents and kids came over to ours for a swim at the end of the day. Sometimes we'd end up having pool parties or impromptu BBQ's on a Friday, going late into the night while the kids all played in the pool. Good times. That's all finished now, unfortunately some of the friends moved interstate or the friendship's fizzled out because the kids aren't mates anymore and now we find ourselves just going from day to day, doing the same old mundane things with nothing much to look forward to. Ok, we have a decent amount of disposable income but when we talk about doing something like going on holiday, the options are limited without having to spend huge amounts of money. Unless it's to NZ to visit the wife's family or somewhere in Asia, which none of us are fussed about, we might decide to rent a house for a week close to the beach a few hours drive from Brissy, looking at pretty much the same view and doing the same things that we do at home, because we live close to beach here as well!

There is no diversity here compared to living in Europe and after 10 years of doing the same old things it's getting very dull. We have friends and family in Spain, Germany and Switzerland, we'd love to be able to just pop over to those places when the mood took us. It doesn't take as much planning as it does doing it from here. Plus because I want to see my family in the UK yearly, we seem to just save for the next trip to the UK and I have to use most of my annual leave. It doesn't make sense to me to have that sort of existence anymore. But at the same time I have to be very careful that I don't totally ruin our lives because I haven't thought it through enough.

It's a total nightmare and I wish I'd never set foot in this bloody country (damn, there's no emoticon for stamping foot on the ground and sucking thumb :jiggy:).

i cant help wondering how long the joy of being back in the uk will last if the family moves back with the current plan. especially as the majority of the family is happy in oz. perhaps the op should go back on there own to start with & see how the reality of a reduced standard of living feels before burning bridges in oz. i wish we had tried it out before we threw away our lives in oz. it would have saved us a lot of money & heartache.

I did look at the option of doing that. Unfortunately I don't think it would work in our case and I wouldn't be able to get my job back in Oz if I went to the UK, even temporarily. It's either stay or go.

In any case, as much as Australia is a lovely place to live, my Wife and I can't see ourselves wanting to be here for the rest of our lives, regardless of where the kids end up living.

I should have mentioned I wouldn't be working in the centre of London, but in West London, close to Greenford and I would be driving, not getting the train.

This is the plan that I'm hoping could work without totally ruining our quality of life (please point out the holes). We buy a house as soon as we can either somewhere in Dorset, Gloucestershire or Hereford and Worcester. All areas that we love and great places to live. The location is obviously very dependant on house price and hopefully we can get a house where our mortgage is around 800 pounds a month MAX. I would rent a room 4 days a week, close to my work (my mate's sister in law rents rooms out at around 80 pounds a week). Then I would drive home on a Friday night to our beautiful house in the country (wishful thinking). As long as our outgoings for mortgage and rent don't exceed 1200 pound s a month and keep fuel costs to the minimum, I think that is workable?

I'm not under any illusions it wouldn't be difficult at times but I believe the quality time would outweigh the crap times. In many ways it wouldn't be that different if we had to relocate to Sydney and I know where I'd rather be.

After 5 years, we would assess the situation and if financially it stacked up, I'd get a job working locally though right now I've no idea what I'd do...though I'd love to run a B&B!

I wake up at night thinking what the hell am I doing, it's total madness what I'm persuading my family to do and they're loyally agreeing to my plans because they're relying on me having done the homework and I know what I'm doing but do I? But, in the cold light of day when I think about our life here, although we do have a good standard of living and yes, the weather's great a lot of the time, we don't do anything exciting or interesting. We've got a couple of acquaintances that we have over for dinner from time to time but that doesn't happen often. We could go on like that until suddenly we find we're in our Seventies and then it's too late.

I do miss the days when the kids were younger when we had a large group of friends because all our kids went to the same Primary school. Often in the summer because we lived closest to their school, the parents and kids came over to ours for a swim at the end of the day. Sometimes we'd end up having pool parties or impromptu BBQ's on a Friday, going late into the night while the kids all played in the pool. Good times. That's all finished now, unfortunately some of the friends moved interstate or the friendship's fizzled out because the kids aren't mates anymore and now we find ourselves just going from day to day, doing the same old mundane things with nothing much to look forward to. Ok, we have a decent amount of disposable income but when we talk about doing something like going on holiday, the options are limited without having to spend huge amounts of money. Unless it's to NZ to visit the wife's family or somewhere in Asia, which none of us are fussed about, we might decide to rent a house for a week close to the beach a few hours drive from Brissy, looking at pretty much the same view and doing the same things that we do at home, because we live close to beach here as well!

There is no diversity here compared to living in Europe and after 10 years of doing the same old things it's getting very dull. We have friends and family in Spain, Germany and Switzerland, we'd love to be able to just pop over to those places when the mood took us. It doesn't take as much planning as it does doing it from here. Plus because I want to see my family in the UK yearly, we seem to just save for the next trip to the UK and I have to use most of my annual leave. It doesn't make sense to me to have that sort of existence anymore. But at the same time I have to be very careful that I don't totally ruin our lives because I haven't thought it through enough.

It's a total nightmare and I wish I'd never set foot in this bloody country (damn, there's no emoticon for stamping foot on the ground and sucking thumb :jiggy:).

I would recommend that you contact a UK mortgage broker for some guidance. You have a large deposit which is good but you mention that you are in your 50s and I know that with most lenders that can reduce your mortgage term considerably and therefore the monthly costs. You will have issues due to a lack of credit rating too so a broker will be beneficial I feel.

Also I would suggest a long fixed rate mortgage as interest rates can only go up and if interest rates doubled in 5 years the mortgage would be unaffordable.

Your wife would need to be able to get a local job and do all the Mon-Fri taxiing, while you are on your own 4 nights a week in a squalid room watching TV. Only you can say whether the prospect of a European holiday every year and weekends in the English countryside are sufficient compensation for this. I know I couldn't live like that (I am 55, could have done it 20-30 years ago).

To the OP, I have not being on the forum over the weekend and have not trawled through all the posts however from my take it seems like 75/25 split in the family group with you being the 25 in being the one wanting to return, from your point 4 and below I do wonder if that same 75/25 split will remain but this time the 75 wanting to return. It could be possible that the children may want to return and both will soon be of the age to make there own choices and then your immediate, and not just your greater family is separated.

Though we have no children at home now and we are closer at retirement than you we are currently purchasing a home in UK so that we can, when we retire, spend more time with family in both countries, one son here and one daughter married (grandchild in the future?) we have one son in UK with wife and our two grandchildren. Linda was the main driver behind this as she would always have gone back tomorrow but came to accept that we were more comfortably and financially better off here in Aus hence our ability, with determined effort, to be able to buy in the UK now.

I wish you well in whatever you decide.

Keith.

Have you explained to your family that your plans when you move back only involve seeing them 2 days a week?

Yes, I have. I've tried to be as candid as possible, so they are totally aware of the risks (and benefits) of moving over there. I have asked them not to keep any reservations they have to themselves. We all need to know how everyone is feeling over this massive decision. Anyway, who says it always needs to be two days a week? Ok, I might have a long drive home and back to work again but there will be times in the summer when I could leave work early in the middle of the week and go home. I'd rather a 2-3 hour drive than a 24 hour flight. Then there's public holidays and annual leave when I'll be at home or we'll all be together on holiday. My kids will be 19 and 16 when we move over there, the days of reading them a bedtime story are long gone. As long as we can talk during the day and I can get home if I need to, everyone will be ok with that.

Bear in mind it's not my intention that this will be how it is for the rest of my working life. This is just the plan to get us back to the UK, into a decent home we can afford on one wage if necessary, take a breather then take it from there.

I would recommend that you contact a UK mortgage broker for some guidance. You have a large deposit which is good but you mention that you are in your 50s and I know that with most lenders that can reduce your mortgage term considerably and therefore the monthly costs. You will have issues due to a lack of credit rating too so a broker will be beneficial I feel.

Also I would suggest a long fixed rate mortgage as interest rates can only go up and if interest rates doubled in 5 years the mortgage would be unaffordable.

My next step was to get in touch with a mortgage broker in the UK to discuss our situation. If anyone has a contact they could give me I would appreciate it. The long fixed interest rate was something I was considering.

Your wife would need to be able to get a local job and do all the Mon-Fri taxiing, while you are on your own 4 nights a week in a squalid room watching TV. Only you can say whether the prospect of a European holiday every year and weekends in the English countryside are sufficient compensation for this. I know I couldn't live like that (I am 55, could have done it 20-30 years ago).

My wife has been doing all the taxiing around Mon-Fri since our kids were young while I've been at work, so no change there, plus my daughter will be doing her own driving anyway. I am concerned about the job prospects locally though...

If we were only going back for European holidays and having the odd pint in a village pub we wouldn't be going. I have my Dad, Brother and Sister there plus my nieces and nephews living there. I think I said at the start of this thread my primary reasons for going back were for family.

I appreciate yours and everyone's concerns and advice. You are certainly helping me weigh up the pros and cons of moving back.

I did look at the option of doing that. Unfortunately I don't think it would work in our case and I wouldn't be able to get my job back in Oz if I went to the UK, even temporarily. It's either stay or go.

In any case, as much as Australia is a lovely place to live, my Wife and I can't see ourselves wanting to be here for the rest of our lives, regardless of where the kids end up living.

sometimes you just got to do what you got to do. good luck with it all.

I would ask if you are experienced in working away from home for regular periods? If so. Then I would say your plan might work. If not, then I would have some large reservations. I have spent a lot of my career working away and it becomes harder and harder on the whole family. It was one of the reasons I was keen on returning to the UK and moving my career sideways.

As as for house price budget and areas, your money will go a long way in some of the areas you mention, but not very far in others. My advice as someone going back onto the housing ladder in my mid 40's is to not be extravagant in the house and consider if you would be happy still paying a mortgage when a pensioner.

I would ask if you are experienced in working away from home for regular periods? If so. Then I would say your plan might work. If not, then I would have some large reservations. I have spent a lot of my career working away and it becomes harder and harder on the whole family. It was one of the reasons I was keen on returning to the UK and moving my career sideways.

I echo what VS says. My husband has spent most of his working life working away from home, and we have had to work very hard to stay married. Just had our 46th year anniversary!!! but we have seen so many friends marriages not surviving the distances and the loneliness. When the chidren were small we all slightly resented the intrusion back into our organised life, with me in charge, then husband changing the rules. I know that sounds mean, but that is the truth.

Then when older you spend a lot of time on your own, for some reason hardly any one asks you round when you are on on your own, might meet up with girl friends in the day, but evening invitations are rare, so you become very independent, and a bit selfish.

It sometimes seemed to me that my husband would no sooner be home, say on Friday, washing had to be done, household things needed doing, and it was already Sunday with a long drive again.

Then there is the occasional panic or family emergency with no husband around, some of us wives use to laugh when he was in the forces and say the washing machine would always break down just after your husband went out of the door.

I wish you well whatever you decide.

Did I see a post which said you're already in your fifties? If so, there's another factor to consider - pensions.

You'll be able to get your superannuation wherever you go - BUT if you leave before retirement age, you won't be able to claim the Australian age pension. If the idea of staying past retirement age (which will probably be 70 by then!) fills you with dread, then you need to get back to the UK soon and start earning again, so you can get the full British pension instead.

Did I see a post which said you're already in your fifties? If so, there's another factor to consider - pensions.

You'll be able to get your superannuation wherever you go - BUT if you leave before retirement age, you won't be able to claim the Australian age pension. If the idea of staying past retirement age (which will probably be 70 by then!) fills you with dread, then you need to get back to the UK soon and start earning again, so you can get the full British pension instead.

I'm 51 next Feb. My wife and I don't qualify for the Australian pension anyway as we're living here as New Zealand citizens. I think we do qualify for the NZ pension as I think I read somewhere NZer's can work in Australia and still be eligible for the NZ pension. Though I may have got it wrong.

Being eligible for the full UK pension is another reason why I feel it's important to return in the next year. I began paying UK Tax & NI when I was 17, and left the UK when I was 35. I believe if I start working and paying tax and NI contributions for the next 16/17 years or until I retire, I will qualify for the full UK pension. Again I may have read it wrong. I'll also top it up when I get there.

I understand I'll need to suspend my Australian Super, making sure I cancel the insurances.

age 67 from 1st July 2023 and possibly 70 by 2035. I think the super would be taxed as well if you are not resident in Aus.

I know they say money isn't every thing but it sure helps you do the things you like to do.

Renting a room for 80 pounds per week is not very realistic unless you are prepared to entertain a very basic existence in Greater London.

Been there done it and got the T shirt. It was awful for a number of reasons! I chucked it in within 3 months!

My next step was to get in touch with a mortgage broker in the UK to discuss our situation. If anyone has a contact they could give me I would appreciate it. The long fixed interest rate was something I was considering.

My wife has been doing all the taxiing around Mon-Fri since our kids were young while I've been at work, so no change there, plus my daughter will be doing her own driving anyway. I am concerned about the job prospects locally though...

If we were only going back for European holidays and having the odd pint in a village pub we wouldn't be going. I have my Dad, Brother and Sister there plus my nieces and nephews living there. I think I said at the start of this thread my primary reasons for going back were for family.

I appreciate yours and everyone's concerns and advice. You are certainly helping me weigh up the pros and cons of moving back.

I shouldn't have added the last bit to my post. Whether or not I could handle that is completely irrelevant.

As I said earlier you seem to have a pretty good handle on the main potential downsides or worst case scenarios. This is so clearly something you have to do and whilst it may not be now or never you are right that this may be your best opportunity to make a success of the move. Good luck.

I'm 51 next Feb. My wife and I don't qualify for the Australian pension anyway as we're living here as New Zealand citizens. I think we do qualify for the NZ pension as I think I read somewhere NZer's can work in Australia and still be eligible for the NZ pension. Though I may have got it wrong.

Being eligible for the full UK pension is another reason why I feel it's important to return... I believe if I start working and paying tax and NI contributions for the next 16/17 years or until I retire, I will qualify for the full UK pension. Again I may have read it wrong. I'll also top it up when I get there.

I understand I'll need to suspend my Australian Super, making sure I cancel the insurances.

I'm pretty sure you've read it right (about the British pension). As you say, you can also enquire about topping up.

You don't need to (in fact you can't) "suspend" your Australian super. It just sits there and goes on earning. You simply advise them of your UK address and tell them to cancel all insurances (since they're not valid when you're overseas anyway). I'd make sure your money is in a low-fee fund (e.g. one of the industry funds) so that it goes on accumulating.

The thing is I think you have thought it through and you know what you want to do! the tone of your posts are more to the when rather than if and what you are going to do when you get there.

If our head ruled in everything and not let our hearts have a turn then humanity is destined to die out.

Good luck with the move.

PS. there are some nice places closer to London too.........Wilshire, Berkshire and not all expensive and possibly commute each day.

The job I do has required me to work away from home for varying periods of time including overseas, sometimes at short notice. I haven't had to do it for a few years but there's a good chance when we return I'll be doing that again. I used to hate it when the kids were young. Fortunately it wasn't too often but eventually my wife and kids got used to me going away. In fact as they got older the kids liked it when I told them I had to go away for work because they knew I'd come back bearing lots of pressies! Now they're older it won't be a problem, if it means earning more money than I would in Herefordshire or Dorset, they'll understand it is a sacrifice I have to make, in the short to medium term anyway.

As long as I'll see my family at the end of the week or I know I can get to them relatively quickly, we'll all be ok with that.

As as for house price budget and areas, your money will go a long way in some of the areas you mention, but not very far in others. My advice as someone going back onto the housing ladder in my mid 40's is to not be extravagant in the house and consider if you would be happy still paying a mortgage when a pensioner.

I've been looking at houses from 240,000 to 290,000 pounds, ranging from Dorset up to Herefordshire. If we could get a mortgage that allowed us to buy a place for up to 290,000 with 50% deposit I'd be happy, there are some decent places around in those areas for that price. I'm calculating my repayments based on a 19 or 20 year term, which seems affordable on a 150,000 pound mortgage at current rates. I don't like the thought of paying a mortgage after 70.

I'm pretty sure you've read it right (about the British pension). As you say, you can also enquire about topping up.

You don't need to (in fact you can't) "suspend" your Australian super. It just sits there and goes on earning. You simply advise them of your UK address and tell them to cancel all insurances (since they're not valid when you're overseas anyway). I'd make sure your money is in a low-fee fund (e.g. one of the industry funds) so that it goes on accumulating.

That's good to know, thanks. It makes sense that my Super would just keep earning, not sure why I thought I'd have to suspend it. I'll have to remember to transfer it into a low risk fund when the time comes.

That's good to know, thanks. It makes sense that my Super would just keep earning, not sure why I thought I'd have to suspend it. I'll have to remember to transfer it into a low risk fund when the time comes.

I didn't say low risk. I said low fees. Which is something you should consider now anyway.

Renting a room for 80 pounds per week is not very realistic unless you are prepared to entertain a very basic existence in Greater London.

Been there done it and got the T shirt. It was awful for a number of reasons! I chucked it in within 3 months!

Yeah, I'm not too enthralled with the prospect of having to do it myself! But hopefully I'll find somewhere half decent. I know someone else who lives in Dorset but works in London during the week. For a while he was renting a room in a house on an island in the middle of the Thames for 20 quid a night, very quirky. If I could find something like that I'd be happy, as long as it's clean...

I'll give myself a range of up to an hours drive from work and see what's out there.