I'm so stressed... to go back, right or wrong decision?

Rainman

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the CTP element of the car Rego is an absolute con.

It's absolutely ridiculous and just keeps going up and up. Not strictly related but I was watching a cop show the other day and someone was pulled over and it made me realise that in Australia there is no offense of driving uninsured, I don't mean CTP but actual property damage. It's always amazed me that insurance isn't compulsory. Sorry off on a tangent.

When I was over last month, I was taking note at how much things cost. I was surprised how much more expensive some things were (Wine!! and petrol) and others that were on a par with Australian prices, allowing for the exchange rate. Not sure about utility bills but the lack of competition and regulation over here I'd say the UK is cheaper. On the whole I'd say there's not much in it. In Queensland we're used to not having to pay for parking at the beach-going to struggle with that one. We went to Durdle Door in Dorset and had to pay 4 quid for the car park for a couple of hours!

We find things considerably cheaper in the UK - except for the rent we paid in Windsor. Utility bills are a fair bit cheaper as central heating is a lot cheaper than rc aircon and elec is about a third cheaper. Petrol is a lot more expensive, but I find I don't actually spend any more as I don't need to drive as much as more things are in walking distance. In WA, suburbs often don't have shops and it is a drive for anything. Wine at the cheaper end is more expensive by about double, but we find wine at the more mid range is cheaper and particularly for European and other countries such as SA also slightly cheaper and much more choice. Beer and spirits are a lot cheaper.

With things like parking it is worth investigating local council offers as a number do things for residents. For example, in Windsor, residents could get a card that gave either free or very cheap parking along with other things such as unlimited free entry to the castle.

Food we find a lot cheaper and the quality far better - the first roast dinner I made my wifes eyes nearly popped out when she tried a parsnip.

Housing away from the South East is a LOT cheaper. Internet and mobile phones are also a lot cheaper and the plans a lot better. I have just had BT internet put in at unlimited broadband for £5 a month and if we lived in the city I could get a far better deal, but we don't have a lot of providers where we live due to being very rural. But my dad for example has cable TV - like foxtel, telephone, unlimited broadband, all phone calls for £14 a month

We find things considerably cheaper in the UK - except for the rent we paid in Windsor. Utility bills are a fair bit cheaper as central heating is a lot cheaper than rc aircon and elec is about a third cheaper. Petrol is a lot more expensive, but I find I don't actually spend any more as I don't need to drive as much as more things are in walking distance. In WA, suburbs often don't have shops and it is a drive for anything. Wine at the cheaper end is more expensive by about double, but we find wine at the more mid range is cheaper and particularly for European and other countries such as SA also slightly cheaper and much more choice. Beer and spirits are a lot cheaper.

With things like parking it is worth investigating local council offers as a number do things for residents. For example, in Windsor, residents could get a card that gave either free or very cheap parking along with other things such as unlimited free entry to the castle.

Food we find a lot cheaper and the quality far better - the first roast dinner I made my wifes eyes nearly popped out when she tried a parsnip.

Housing away from the South East is a LOT cheaper. Internet and mobile phones are also a lot cheaper and the plans a lot better. I have just had BT internet put in at unlimited broadband for £5 a month and if we lived in the city I could get a far better deal, but we don't have a lot of providers where we live due to being very rural. But my dad for example has cable TV - like foxtel, telephone, unlimited broadband, all phone calls for £14 a month

I know people living in Australia tend to say when they came to the UK on holiday they found things to be pretty much on a par but like you we find most things cheaper. There is no way I would or could have said that 20 years ago as the gulf between the 2 could tries was vast, in the favour of Australia. We pay more council tax/rates but the house is apples and oranges compared to our old place in Brisbane.

We pay, I think from memory, £14 a month for unlimited fibre broadband and a fIver for unlimited calls. Mobiles as you say are also cheaper.

Story of my life. We had a nice little house in the UK, which we wouldn't be able to afford now. We had a lovely house in Auckland which is double the value of our house here now. We live in the Redlands, south of Brisbane and the market has been very disappointing in our particular spot. I would have liked to hang on to it just in case we came back but the market here is so slow. I've suggested to the wife we buy in the UK, which is performing much better in most areas. Even if we sold in the UK in 5 or 10 years, to return here or NZ, I'm hoping it would have performed better than if we kept our house here, giving us enough to maybe buy somewhere mortgage free.

Knowing my luck though, Brisbane's market will really take off now we're selling!!

I imagine there here is a fair chance the story could continue along the same vein.

Story of my life. We had a nice little house in the UK, which we wouldn't be able to afford now. We had a lovely house in Auckland which is double the value of our house here now. We live in the Redlands, south of Brisbane and the market has been very disappointing in our particular spot. I would have liked to hang on to it just in case we came back but the market here is so slow. I've suggested to the wife we buy in the UK, which is performing much better in most areas. Even if we sold in the UK in 5 or 10 years, to return here or NZ, I'm hoping it would have performed better than if we kept our house here, giving us enough to maybe buy somewhere mortgage free.

Knowing my luck though, Brisbane's market will really take off now we're selling!!

At the end of the day we should all just be buying a home, not an investment. Chances are that if you buy a property in a cheaper area (cutting your cloth to your means) it is likely to stay cheap. There are exceptions and outside events can make an area more desirable while you happen to be living there.

We bought in the Redlands too last year. Got more house for less, but then again we are not expecting it to appreciate much either.

The mind boggles:wink:

So why is it any different to what is included in normal fully comprehensive insurance ? Why is CTP so expensive ?

Can't even remember how much that component is. Wouldn't worry yourself about it! I doubt you will be returning with the state of the pound.

You say housing is a lot cheaper outside of the SE but that is relative to prices in London, 50% of 600,000 is still 300,000 and you have to be in the midlands or northwest outside a city before you see those kinds of falls, so heads up check carefully what prices are like in areas you would want to live in, I looked at a 60k terraced house in Derby as a investment a few weeks back and the houses either side were occupied with holes in the roofs.

Rainman, do what I just did and do a Rightmove search for houses in Herefordshire, for a laugh I did minimum 3 bed from 150-200k and it bought up loads of really nice places in good areas. It's an advantage really knowing the area so I have some idea of where is nice and where isnt. 200k gets you a nice house, believe me lol

Rainman

Do your own research on 'rightmove' about house prices here, we are looking in Shropshire and Hereford/Staffs, as we aim to move next year, and were discouraged by house prices, reckoned £300K was lowest for something in decent area and 400K for something in country.

a 2 second search gave:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54390679.html for a new type place

more my style http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56280580.html

I like this one http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59343455.html

and this http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59086790.html

You say housing is a lot cheaper outside of the SE but that is relative to prices in London, 50% of 600,000 is still 300,000 and you have to be in the midlands or northwest outside a city before you see those kinds of falls, so heads up check carefully what prices are like in areas you would want to live in, I looked at a 60k terraced house in Derby as a investment a few weeks back and the houses either side were occupied with holes in the roofs.

My best friend has just bought a 4 bedroom new build in Leicestershire, about 15 minutes from the city for £240k. I am looking at houses in the village we are in where I can get a very nice though small cottage for under £130k, though keeping an eye out for a bigger one that a neighbor owns which is a 3/4 bed detached with all the usual's including views and is hoping to put on the market next year for £160k. We are in a very rural location amazing countryside - think rolling hills and valleys with waterfalls - but, only 18 miles to Glasgow straight up the motorway. The village itself is stunning - it is a designated conservation village and lots of charm and immaculate. Most are traditional whitewashed with dry stone walls as garden walls. The nearby town is a very sought after place as well with a little town center that is around a square with mainly all independent shops such as the baker that has been there since 1820, a butcher, a fish monger and things. We have a few more little quirky cafes than normal as we do get tourists.

Prices out of London and the SE are not 50% cheaper, they are a LOT more than that cheaper and £600k in London would not get you much. More like a million minimum. For example, we looked in Windsor which is similar in price, though a bit cheaper than London except for the very cheapest roughest areas and a small terrace is about £750k. These are pretty much identical to the house I sold in Leicester which I could pick up again today for under £100k. Rents are equivalent. My brother in law lives outskirt of London and pays £2300 a month for a 3 bed terrace, I have a 2/3 bedroom cottage for just over £400

Exactly, as I said around 200k gets you a nice place. Double that amount gets you an incredible house.

I would stay personally if I were if your situation. I mean from a parents point of view, you answered if yourself in the reasons. Your 19y/o loves it here, Your sons 16 (difficult age as it is without moving and starting again) and i presume loves it. The opportunities here are awesome!

I would go back but my children love it here. I know when i go back next year, it will be the last time i see my nan alive. She's a feisty old git but even she's starting to slow down at 70. All that smoking weed and playing tomb raider games....yes, seriously! Like you with your dad, you don't know how long he has.

Are you maybe feeling like you HAVE to go back because your old job post is closing and thats almost like "If i don't go back now, i won't have a good enough job and have to start again?"

Hopefully you'll get where I'm coming from but my family is my husband and kids, yours in your kids and wife. What they what matter and my happiness, to go back, its out the window. I wouldn't risk my kids future if I'm being honest. Ive heard its crap back home, my mums a qualified nurse with letters behind her name and she's having to work part time in a petrol garage for £6.50 an hour!

I would stay. For your kids.

Good luck in what you do thou! :D

'I've heard it's crap back home' lol Well I can tell you you heard wrong, very wrong. Our Aussie kids love it here and it's in no way risking their futures. Why is your Mum working for less than minimum wage ? I'm happy you have resigned yourself to the fact that you have to stay but many aren't in your situation.

I would stay personally if I were if your situation. I mean from a parents point of view, you answered if yourself in the reasons. Your 19y/o loves it here, Your sons 16 (difficult age as it is without moving and starting again) and i presume loves it. The opportunities here are awesome!

............................(edit)....Hopefully you'll get where I'm coming from but my family is my husband and kids, yours in your kids and wife. What they what matter and my happiness, to go back, its out the window. I wouldn't risk my kids future if I'm being honest. Ive heard its crap back home, my mums a qualified nurse with letters behind her name and she's having to work part time in a petrol garage for £6.50 an hour!

I would stay. For your kids.

Good luck in what you do thou! :D

I’m sure for some people in both the UK and Aus life is cr*p. I know there are places I would not choose to live and I suspect it would make little difference where I found myself if I was homeless, unemployed, or living on a low wage. But both are first world democracies where children can and do thrive, and people can and do live happily.

@Rainman - Your 16 year old has the option of 6th form college, a gap year and then university if that’s that path he wants to take. But very soon your children will off making their own way in the world and tbh I doubt that a few years in the UK will scupper their life prospects whichever path they ultimately choose to take.

Sometimes no matter how carefully you weigh and balance the options you just have to grit your teeth and make a leap of faith. Only you can decide whether this is one of those times…but I hope it works out, whichever way you jump! T x