I'm so stressed... to go back, right or wrong decision?

Rainman

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair it was one of their first reasons.

I would go back if I felt like you though, especially with the anemic pound. May be better off.

They aren't staying in Brisbane, I know your brain probably can't compute why someone would leave but they do lol

Maybe read my first post. You got touchy again and have made yourself look foolish.

What if the OP cannot achieve 30k/year salary in the areas you recommend?

And the train would cost 10k+ and be a major grind from there. There's a reason why the houses are cheap there many would require huge commutes to the work in the big cities.

i cant help wondering how long the joy of being back in the uk will last if the family moves back with the current plan. especially as the majority of the family is happy in oz. perhaps the op should go back on there own to start with & see how the reality of a reduced standard of living feels before burning bridges in oz. i wish we had tried it out before we threw away our lives in oz. it would have saved us a lot of money & heartache.

i cant help wondering how long the joy of being back in the uk will last if the family moves back with the current plan. especially as the majority of the family is happy in oz. perhaps the op should go back on there own to start with & see how the reality of a reduced standard of living feels before burning bridges in oz. i wish we had tried it out before we threw away our lives in oz. it would have saved us a lot of money & heartache.

My thoughts, exactly.

And the train would cost 10k+ and be a major grind from there. There's a reason why the houses are cheap there many would require huge commutes to the work in the big cities.

Maybe you should read what is being said, NOT work in London. Why would the train cost 10k if you work in the area, that makes no sense.

How many people in London survive well of the national average of 25k or even less, I should think many 1000s

In a city of how many millions?

London housing wasn't always that expensive. If they bought twenty years ago they would be laughing.

But now, prices are high, and train fares are high. If they lived in the country they would be laughing. But London is not great for a family on that money.

Do the maths.

London housing wasn't always that expensive. If they bought twenty years ago they would be laughing.

But now, prices are high, and train fares are high. If they lived in the country they would be laughing. But London is not great for a family on that money.

Do the maths.

You could do it but it wouldn't be comfortable, bear in mind there is another unknown wage to take into account as well so it's not just the 40k. Having said that I would still move directly to their area of choice.

Bear in mind there are many many families that do it and find it is everything we hoped for and more. We were also happy enough in Brisbane so it's not as if we were escaping somewhere we didn't like, we just wanted, and got, more. The fact that it didn't work for you is unfortunate for you but not really relevant as every situation is different.

Bear in mind there are many many families that do it and find it is everything we hoped for and more. We were also happy enough in Brisbane so it's not as if we were escaping somewhere we didn't like, we just wanted, and got, more. The fact that it didn't work for you is unfortunate for you but not really relevant as every situation is different.

stop being so damn defensive all the time. this isnt about you & its no reflection on your life choices if not everyone is in a perpetual state of rapture over all things british the way you are. pretending everything will be roses for the op would be terribly wrong on the current plan so just take a chill pill & allow other people to offer there experiences for once.

I actually think the life experiences of others are invaluable on this thread: Pro or against returning to the UK.

stop being so damn defensive all the time. this isnt about you & its no reflection on your life choices if not everyone is in a perpetual state of rapture over all things british the way you are. pretending everything will be roses for the op would be terribly wrong on the current plan so just take a chill pill & allow other people to offer there experiences for once.

Oh I'm sorry so you can offer your view but I can't offer mine, OK as long as I know lol. Nothing at all to do with being defensive, just offering an alternate view, just as you did.

You could do it but it wouldn't be comfortable, bear in mind there is another unknown wage to take into account as well so it's not just the 40k. Having said that I would still move directly to their area of choice.

True, but he seemed to be suggesting minimum wage for the second wage. I just think it would be tight with the commute expenses.

True, but he seemed to be suggesting minimum wage for the second wage. I just think it would be tight with the commute expenses.

To be fair he wrongly assumed his wife would have to take a zero hours contract which seems unlikely. I absolutely agree it would be tight and not something I would choose to do myself especially when there seems to be a much more practical solution available.

Do the maths.

Bus and tube fares are very low especially if you have an oyster card. you do not catch a train to move within london.

PB you obviously have never lived in London, or at least this decade.

Would love to see where you would buy in London on 25k? You might be surprised by the costs of a monthly travelcard too.