And so it begins...again!

ScottishMatilda

Hi all,

My husband and I have been together now for nearly 10 years. We have 'talked' about a move to Australia for 9 years! In the interim I have been competing my qualifications which are now thankfully over! We have also had a daughter in this time and now a set of identical twin boys!! Life is busy!

A few years ago we started the visa process then got cold feet and stopped. Now my husband is pretty adamant that we should go. His work situation here in Scotland is pretty dire and there is no doubt there would be more opportunities for him. Australia would also hopefully give us a more outdoor family life. It's just so hard when I think about leaving family and friends.

I want to do this for our family but any advice on how to broach with parents and not back out again as a result of negative reactions?!

Matilda

I think if you really struggle with the thought of leaving loved ones and have been put off in the past by things, that perhaps you are not really cut out for migrating.

It will require a firm mindset, a large dollop of selfishness and probably a very thick skin when it comes to coping with how your loved ones will react. If you really want it, you'll plough on regardless.

Keep in mind the outdoors lifestyle isn't a certainty. If you are outdoors types now, chances are you will be in Aus also. If you are not that way inclined, I doubt a move to another country will change that much. Also in summer and middle of the day you tend to seek shade and cool here in Aus and so the outdoors thing may not happen. We spend a lot of time out and about but we already did this in England regardless of the weather. The really hot days here (35C plus) usually sees us inside doing something rather than outside baking.

Hi all,

My husband and I have been together now for nearly 10 years. We have 'talked' about a move to Australia for 9 years! In the interim I have been competing my qualifications which are now thankfully over! We have also had a daughter in this time and now a set of identical twin boys!! Life is busy!

A few years ago we started the visa process then got cold feet and stopped. Now my husband is pretty adamant that we should go. His work situation here in Scotland is pretty dire and there is no doubt there would be more opportunities for him. Australia would also hopefully give us a more outdoor family life. It's just so hard when I think about leaving family and friends.

I want to do this for our family but any advice on how to broach with parents and not back out again as a result of negative reactions?!

Matilda

Investigate employment opportunities here carefully before you come. In a lot of areas it is very difficult to secure work.

Times have certainly changed from when you first started the process. Without known the line of work you and/or hubby will be seeking, it is hard to comment. Although increasing numbers being put on shorter hours and worse conditions. Do not labour under the assumption that life in Australia is necessary better than Scotland.

Hi all,

Matilda

I understand your husband is a player / boilermaker. A wonderful occupation - my fathers and what I initially started.

However, I would severely doubt there was a lot of opportunity in oz at the moment. Most engineering trades have major unemployment issues at the moment due to the collapse in the mining industry. I know boilermakers in Perth who are citizens and out of work for months at the moment.

Hi all,

Matilda

I think your concerns about leaving family amd friends are far more well founded, fact based concerns than notions of better opportunities and an outdoor lifestyle. These things are not facts, UK has a far bigger economy than Australia and naturally it has more opportunities in the work sense, it also currently has lower unemployment. Outdoorsy people are outdoorsy wherever they live, it has nothing to do with the country. I am not a naturally outdoorsy person so am not found outdoors excessively but I am most definitely more inclined to go outdoors now I am back in the UK where the climate is less extreme.

Hi all,

Matilda

Presume you are an independent adult so you don't need permission to do anything!

My advice is no need to broach anything, I would just say nothing, apply for the Visa.

Once granted then tell people.

You have a year to activate it.

You have the right to live how and where you want within the limits of the law. Rise above any negativity (which you will no doubt get) and enjoy your new life!

B

Hi all,

Matilda

Did your parents consult you and listen to your wishes on every major decision they made when you were kids? Or did they, as many do, shunt you from town to town, from school to school, or even from country to country?

If your parents decided to emigrate now, and finish their lives in another land, following their own dreams, would they consult you?

Its YOUR life. Just remember that.

Hi, SM,

What I would consider the best advice is for both of you to explore the REALITY of employment here. Before I left the RAF in 1983, I took a month's leave and came here to assess work possibilities in my field, Flight Simulator Engineering. I was sure that, after 22 years experience, I would be an attractive proposition for Qantas, Australian Airlines, etc., etc. Not a chance, QF simply refused to talk to me, it was a bucket of cold water, perhaps at least partially deserved!

I was offered a job immediately in a different field but, when the employer inquired about the process, he was told to make no offer, if he had a job vacancy then it should go to an Australian. I realise that you may not be able to do as I did, my point is you must be as sure as you can that you want to make the commitment.

Oz has changed greatly since I arrived and, although I have had the best working life imaginable, (in the airline industry), it has not been easy until the last 15 or so years. It is VERY hard work, so be prepared.

Socially, you will have to be somewhat selfish and hard-hearted to leave families behind and, despite being told that the world is small nowadays, NO, it is NOT!! It is difficult at times, and the phone bills to Mum and Dad will be horrendous!

Basically, it all comes down to preparation, planning and single-mindedness if you are to succeed.

Good luck, if you have more queries, please post them, I am willing to help all I can.

Cheers,

TNO. (ex-pat Aberdonian).

Is there really no doubt there would be more opportunities for your husband in Australia? Ten years ago that was true - but does he realise that unemployment in Australia is actually higher than in the UK these days?

Maybe he thinks that because his occupation is on the list of eligible occupations to migrate, Australia is crying out for his skills? It's not the case. The lists are slow to respond to the reality of the job market. Look at accountants, for instance - Australia has a glut of accountants already, but it probably won't be taken off the list till next year.

Please take VeryStormy's warning seriously - many skilled tradesmen are being laid off now, and a lot are returning to the UK after being unemployed for months. Having spent thousands on emigrating and thousands more on living expenses while job-hunting, they arrive back in the UK with their savings gone and having to start again from scratch. So while some might say, you've got an itch just do it, when you have a family you can't afford to be that irresponsible. He needs to find out more about his job prospects before you decide.

You say your husband is adamant that you should go - does that mean you'd be quite happy to stay in the UK? If that's the case then I'd say, don't go. If it's going to succeed, you've both got to be keen. You're going to move thousands of miles away to a foreign country (and it's just as foreign as Spain or France, we just happen to speak English but everything else will feel strange!), umpteen things will go wrong and you'll have no one to help you - it's tough even when you're looking forward to it. If you came just to please someone else and your heart's not in it, it'll be horrific.

If he's really set on going and you're determined to make that sacrifice for him, you could get the visa and then let him go on ahead to make sure he's able to find work. The ideal is to migrate together and support each other through the experience, but if you have reservations, then I'd say it's best to let him follow his dream and see how it works out first - it might not live up to his expectations and he'll be back, but at least he'll have got it out of his system!

First things first. See if you can get a visa and what the chances are of a job that's going to keep you and the family happy. Then when that's in place worry about telling the family. It's not easy to get in and harder to settle if you struggle to get a job that will bring in enough.

Hi all you lovely PIO'sers,

Thanks for all your responses (both the positive and the cautionary). There certainly is much to consider and it is great to hear all your experiences and points of view.

My husband is a welder and I am a clinical psychologist. I take the point regarding Australia and the current unemployment rate. However, we are in a similar position here, as husband is currently working to a 6 month contract in a job thats not exactly alligned to his trade. However, we are grateful that he even has that. As one poster said, we have three kids to consider now and that is part of our reasoning for looking into emigration, as we had thought (perhaps wrongly) that opportunities would be better. My husband has seen many colleagues leave Scotland (as a result of the oil and gas downturn) for Aussie shores, land a job and never look back.

If we decide to proceed, it would be our intention that I would be the main visa applicant and that we wouldn't be going anywhere without at least one solid job offer.

Thanks for those who point out that its our life and we should make choices for ourselves, not others...

Thanks for all your responses (both the positive and the cautionary). There certainly is much to consider and it is great to hear all your experiences and points of view.

My husband is a welder and I am a clinical psychologist. I take the point regarding Australia and the current unemployment rate. However, we are in a similar position here, as husband is currently working to a 6 month contract in a job thats not exactly alligned to his trade. However, we are grateful that he even has that. As one poster said, we have three kids to consider now and that is part of our reasoning for looking into emigration, as we had thought (perhaps wrongly) that opportunities would be better. My husband has seen many colleagues leave Scotland (as a result of the oil and gas downturn) for Aussie shores, land a job and never look back.

If we decide to proceed, it would be our intention that I would be the main visa applicant and that we wouldn't be going anywhere without at least one solid job offer.

Thanks for those who point out that its our life and we should make choices for ourselves, not others...

Be sure to ready the threads about the pathways of clinical psychologists! It's a tortuous pathway and one, thank heavens, I am now retired from!!!If you have a good job with good practice in UK it is something I would think long and hard about leaving! I'd think your chances of employment will be significantly worse in Australia unfortunately. I'm not even sure that his opportunities would be trust great either these days. Perhaps you could improve things just by moving South.

Quoll, thanks for directing me to the clinical psychology threads. I have had a scan read of these in the last few weeks and it does now seem a long frustrating process (with the new national psychology exam thrown in for good measure at the other end!!!). Such useful information in these threads.

However, maybe you can explain more about why the opportunities in psychology are currently so bad? If you look at seek or indeed, it would seem that psychology jobs are plentiful (albeit perhaps more in private practice). What am I missing? Is it that there is a bottleneck of graduates and more than there are jobs? How many train up to clinical psychology level, as I understand that there are various grades? I am not currently in private practice, having worked in the NHS for approximately 9 years (including my training). I have my first psych degree, a MSc in forensic psych and my doctorate in clinical psychology. Surely with that behind me, I might compete for the jobs out there? More than happy to hear your honest views as its all info. gathering towards making a decision.

Its not a bad idea to move elsewhere for better opportunities, but as far as the NHS goes, things are not looking good and South of the border colleagues seem far worse off with regards to jobs, resources etc.

Final question, whats your experience of salaries in Australia compared to the UK?

You get 1 life! Go for it and if it doesn't work come back and start again you will deal with what ever is thrown at you! Think of your life and your kids life that's what I do. Am not saying it will be easy, I believe it will be hard, but if you focus on your time as a family it will be worth it.

Its only a plane ride away.

Dont have regrets have memorys.

You get 1 life! Go for it and if it doesn't work come back and start again you will deal with what ever is thrown at you! Think of your life and your kids life that's what I do. Am not saying it will be easy, I believe it will be hard, but if you focus on your time as a family it will be worth it.

That's exactly the right attitude IF you're young and single. If it all goes pear-shaped, all you've lost is the price of an air fare.

Once you have a family, it's a different story. It's only a plane ride away but the air fares for a whole family aren't cheap. Plus the cost of shipping stuff or replacing it all, and feeding and clothing the whole family while you look for work. Then if it all goes pear-shaped, you have to do it all again - and that means "all you've lost" is probably in the region of 50,000 pounds. For families who are rich enough to throw that away, that's fine - but for some people, losing that much money would be a disaster.

Quoll, thanks for directing me to the clinical psychology threads. I have had a scan read of these in the last few weeks and it does now seem a long frustrating process (with the new national psychology exam thrown in for good measure at the other end!!!). Such useful information in these threads.

However, maybe you can explain more about why the opportunities in psychology are currently so bad? If you look at seek or indeed, it would seem that psychology jobs are plentiful (albeit perhaps more in private practice). What am I missing? Is it that there is a bottleneck of graduates and more than there are jobs? How many train up to clinical psychology level, as I understand that there are various grades? I am not currently in private practice, having worked in the NHS for approximately 9 years (including my training). I have my first psych degree, a MSc in forensic psych and my doctorate in clinical psychology. Surely with that behind me, I might compete for the jobs out there? More than happy to hear your honest views as its all info. gathering towards making a decision.

Its not a bad idea to move elsewhere for better opportunities, but as far as the NHS goes, things are not looking good and South of the border colleagues seem far worse off with regards to jobs, resources etc.

Final question, whats your experience of salaries in Australia compared to the UK?

There are clinical psychologists coming out of the wood work here. Not to say to won't get work, as know folk from Argentina/Brazil/Ireland/South Africa/NZ/ Malaysia/Singapore and of course UK working as such. Very competitive though as seems to have been a trend of the past decade or two to study. Most are naturally want to set themselves up in practice to earn the real money but few get enough hours to avoid working for an agency or related place of employment. Rather quite stressful and competitive are two words that come to mind.

That's exactly the right attitude IF you're young and single. If it all goes pear-shaped, all you've lost is the price of an air fare.

Once you have a family, it's a different story. It's only a plane ride away but the air fares for a whole family aren't cheap. Plus the cost of shipping stuff or replacing it all, and feeding and clothing the whole family while you look for work. Then if it all goes pear-shaped, you have to do it all again - and that means "all you've lost" is probably in the region of 50,000 pounds. For families who are rich enough to throw that away, that's fine - but for some people, losing that much money would be a disaster.

Exactly that. Not to put a too finer point on strains to a relationship as well.

As one poster said, we have three kids to consider now and that is part of our reasoning for looking into emigration, as we had thought (perhaps wrongly) that opportunities would be better. My husband has seen many colleagues leave Scotland (as a result of the oil and gas downturn) for Aussie shores, land a job and never look back.

How long ago did those colleagues leave Scotland? Can he contact them and see how they're doing now and what they think his job prospects are?

The oil and gas downturn has now hit Australia too. Even five years ago, we would've been telling your husband there was heaps of work and he would've stood a chance of getting an employer to sponsor him. Now it's all changed.

I really don't know why people think their kids will have a better future in Australia. It's a great place for kids to grow up, but when it comes to further education there's a more limited choice (though the standard is equivalent), and career opportunities are more limited because it's a small population, and so many of our companies have their head offices overseas.

When I arrived in Australia 30 years ago, it was definitely the land of opportunity because there was such a shortage of skilled people - I was able to pick and choose my jobs, and I got promotion much faster than I would've in the UK. I think Brits imagine Australia is still like that. It's not. Australia has plenty of skilled workers of its own in most fields now - even some of the fields it's still advertising for, strangely enough (that's because the lists are slow to react to the reality of the job market). In most occupations, job prospects are the same as or worse than the UK. When I was back in the UK last year I was surprised how buoyant the job market was in the South of England, much more so than in Sydney where I used to live.

If you want to come to Australia, come for yourself but don't pretend you're doing it for your children! They will do just fine wherever they grow up.

Sure I agree with the sentiment, but best undertaken pre kids, especially in todays economic climate. Hardship is not necessary sound family bonding. Plenty of adventures around the world to be had than throwing all away to partake on something that as you admit yourself will likely be hard.

It's actually getting your foot in the door that's the problem - employers aren't keen to get interim psychs because their supervision and training requirements put extra cost and stress on the organisation and if they can pick up someone with full registration they are a more attractive proposition. I'm actually surprised that Psych is still on the list because Australia is well oversupplied with psychs - every man and his dog seems to be doing it at Uni then going through one of the myriad courses that sees them churned out with full registration. I'm not saying you wouldn't be attractive with your skills - once you have full registration - but jumping through that flaming hoop could be the big barrier. I think there are more psychologists to the square inch in Australia than anywhere else in the world, actually!

Can't comment on salaries comparatively, sorry but as an Ed Psych in Aus I was better paid than the Clinical psychs I knew because we were paid Education rather than Health rates.

The downturn in oil prices has hit Australia just as much as it has Scotland and the rest of the world. Australia can't escape that. At the same time there has been a major downturn in mining which has resulted in thousands of redundancies in Australia. This unfortunately includes a lot of welders.

You mention your children, you do realise that unemployment for young people is higher in Oz? In fact many move to the UK for careers.

There's heaps to consider Scottishmatilda for sure but the pants deal part of it is that only you can make the choice. The forum is an extremely valuable source of support, guidance and objectivity but in the end you've got to work out what's best for your family. The biggest risk of not going is the "what if ...".

We also have 3 kids all under six and are heading out on a 457. I'm lucky that in my profession there is almost guaranteed work, both in Aus as well as in the UK so the risk of unemployment is low plus if it doesn't work out resuming in the UK should be straight forward. The 457 route is much less secure than PR and many would advise against it, but for us it is the best option as it allows us to dip our toe in the water and see. We're letting our UK home and will be renting in Oz. If we love it (which having been before we're sure we will) then we'll move to PR and stay, if we don't then we'll have had a nice long holiday and the knowledge that we've tried it. Yes the kids are a massive consideration. I am not sure how old yours are, but ours are of the age that they can enjoy the experience, without it screwing up their education if we end up returning in a couple of years.

if you choose not to proceed with it and can then put it out of your mind then the safer option would be to stick in the UK. If the itch is not likely to go away and you'll spend the next few years looking back and wishing, then you're best off taking the plunge, building in as many safety nets as possible and having the experience. Life is for living, where possible without regrets. Good luck with the decision making.

Edited by drstu