are we crazy to do not use a migration agent?!?

mummyoftwo

All of which is a more risky approach than instructing a professional advisor from the start.

How are you going to assess the position without sight of documents (eg employment related paperwork)?

It is indeed more risky. I advised them to post their info as it less risky than not doing so :)

It is up to the OP to put the work in and determine the requirements for the VISA and ask any pertinent questions.

I went through a lot of searches and threads to determine that I was eligible :) I had some helpful advice along the way.

The OP can cut all of that out and go for the platinum service of a decent agent if required (better than going half assed and getting a dodgy agent which is neither here nor there).

The OP asked for our experiences which is what I am trying to do :)

An agents rebuttal no doubt advises about the people who go it alone and fail. It does happen but it doesn't have to.

Good luck either way OP :D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me put it like this. I have been on the forum for a while - look under my name to the left of this post and you will see the date I joined and how many posts I have made. In that time I have seen thousands of people refused visas on here. Everyone of them "thought" they were fine and had no issue. Pretty much everyone of them could have saved the refusal by appointing an agent.

Don't forget, a refusal is not just a refusal. It is loss of the fee - expensive and a potential ban on re-applying

Let me put it like this. I have been on the forum for a while - look under my name to the left of this post and you will see the date I joined and how many posts I have made. In that time I have seen thousands of people refused visas on here. Everyone of them "thought" they were fine and had no issue. Pretty much everyone of them could have saved the refusal by appointing an agent.

Don't forget, a refusal is not just a refusal. It is loss of the fee - expensive and a potential ban on re-applying

You joined 3000 days ago. Have you genuinely seen an average of circa 1 refusal per day or is "thousands" exaggerated?

We used an agent and if i had my time again i would do exactly the same. Just having someone there to double check everything and help us if we got 'stuck' with anything was invaluable. The visa process is a stressful time and having it refused as many do would have been horrendous not to mention a big loss of money, hence id recommend anyone use their services even if only slightly unsure about anything.

Cal x

Nothing wrong with a poster asking the occasional question, but I really don't think the forum is here be used to steer potential immigrants through their applications. How many really have that sort of expertise, the wrong advice could be disastrous.

Like other long term posters I have read many posts of applications being refused, not advising anyone to use an agent to go it alone, it's personal, but think it's safer to run an application past an agent rather than take advice here.

Edited by ramot

You joined 3000 days ago. Have you genuinely seen an average of circa 1 refusal per day or is "thousands" exaggerated?

Ok, an exaggeration, but certainly hundreds.

I have also just been chatting to an agent today by email. This is a section of it:

Sometimes I really wonder why I do this job, seems to be a constant uphill struggle with people who have go themselves in a mess! Just had a Dr call me who had lodged his own visa, put an incorrect date on it and is about to get refused! He has just lost $8100 in visa charges! A very small but fatal mistake! I am hearing of a lot more refusals these days, Immigration are getting very tough since they changed their name to Border Protection!"

I have also just been chatting to an agent today by email. This is a section of it:

Just had a Dr call me who had lodged his own visa, put an incorrect date on it and is about to get refused! He has just lost $8100 in visa charges!

That's exactly it. When I applied for a visa thirty years ago, a petty mistake like that would've got you a phone call from Immigration and it would've been fixed. It's ludicrous that they'd reject a perfectly good candidate based on a single tiny error, but that's what they seem to do these days. So ifyou're not going to use an agent, you at least need to proof read everything five times!

Ok, an exaggeration, but certainly hundreds.

Sometimes I really wonder why I do this job, seems to be a constant uphill struggle with people who have go themselves in a mess! Just had a Dr call me who had lodged his own visa, put an incorrect date on it and is about to get refused! He has just lost $8100 in visa charges! A very small but fatal mistake! I am hearing of a lot more refusals these days, Immigration are getting very tough since they changed their name to Border Protection!"

There can be very good reasons to use an agent. A more complicated case or even just being unwilling to spend the time on it or having little attention to detail. But to the question "is it crazy" to not use an agent, I have to maintain that the answer is no it is not crazy at all. It can make sense for a lot of people.

I have been on this and other forums for seven years now and have seen some applications declined, sometimes for silly mistakes yes. But the successful applications outnumber the declines by many many multiples. It isn't crazy to not use an agent, but I wouldn't rule it out either, it is soneting that needs careful thought.

I saw another post recently, it wasnt this one and might not have been on here, but somebody was saying that they were on a budget and wanted to cut out the migration agent because they were trying to save money. I didn't respond to it, but I was thinking that this was the wrong reason to cut out an agent. The cost of one is a drop in the ocean compared to the overall cost of moving and I was thinking if you can't afford an agent you probably can't afford to migrate at all!

Edited by Bungo

I dunno about this. Realised, (in horror) a day before I had my 189 issued to me, that I had actually lodged a few documents under the wife's maiden name (she'll never let me live that one down, if she finds out...).

DIBP either didn't pick up on it, didn't care, or realised I'm Scottish and (therefore) probably just fortunate to be literate...

I can understand people with medical conditions or criminal histories finding it useful to have an agent to support them. For the rest of us, if you're methodical and sensible, I cannot fathom spending the extra thousands on what is effectively very expensive proof-reading.

Edited by CiderDrinkingCoder

I would suggest that you post how you have calculated your points as others will let you know if anything looks incorrect :)

Here's where we've got to:

Age 32 - 30 points (assuming we are invited to and apply before next birthday in November)

Superior English - 20 points (IELTS 8.5, 8.5, 9, 9 taken in April)

CIMA qualified - 10 points (unless it is 15?)

6 years' post-qualified experience - 10 points

He does also have a relevant degree and 11 years' total post degree work experience but we wonder if it is worth trying to claim 80 points if he has a comfortable 70, which seems enough for everyone else.

Age 32 - 30 points (assuming we are invited to and apply before next birthday in November)

He does also have a relevant degree and 11 years' total post degree work experience but we wonder if it is worth trying to claim 80 points if he has a comfortable 70, which seems enough for everyone else.

The Accountants skill assessment is very straightforward. They should tell you that your CIMA is equivalent to bachelor degree meaning 15 points. My ACCA was. CPA have reciprocal agreement with CIMA which should make things even simpler.

They will also assess skilled employment at the same time giving you confidence any points claimed for employment are accurate before submitting your EOI, therefore reducing the chance of a problem when DIBP assess the points claimed further in the process.

I would never tell someone not to use an agent. There are a lot of unpublished aspects to the immigration process, there are errors on the DIBP website, and there are the human factors of the CO's assessment of your application to take into consideration. A migration agent will have the training to know the legislation and the policy that applies, and the experience to deal with preparing the strongest application possible.

I did do my own application, but I was very careful to do a lot of research and mine was a fairly "straight forward" application. But I still stressed whether I'd missed something, and using a migration agent could have eliminated that stress. Unfortunately I just didn't have the budget, so had to take the gamble that I was ok with my application.

But I shake my head at numerous posts I've read on forums (more so on others than on PIO), where people say "No, you don't need to waste your money, we can give you all the help you need..." Unless you are sharing all your documents on the forum, the other posters have no way of knowing your situation. And they certainly don't have any experience other than their own particular application. Often posters will give incorrect information because they only know what they did (maybe they still don't have an approved visa, or their approval was several months/years ago when the rules were different, etc.).

So it's certainly a minefield and only you can decide whether you want to try to navigate it on your own or with some professional help.

Thanks for both of your replies Pommie, I really appreciate it. That's exactly what we said we'd do, get everything ready to upload for when we submit the application. We are getting moving quickly with it so we can submit our EOI asap and we are aware it was halved last year.. we've talked about moving for years so have finally said enough talking, lets just do it.

Do you mind me asking whereabouts you are now based seeing as you are a management accountant? We have found ourselves going round in a full circle with the destination..firstly it was Brisbane, then Perth for a short while before thinking my husband would probably struggle to find a decent job. We then thought Sydney, but started to go off the idea due to the cost of buying a property, so we have found ourselves back to square one and set our sights on Brisbane..

Hi MummyofTwo

I've lived in Oz for 5 years previously and so I've got a fairly good feel for a few cities. Sydney clearly has the most job opportunities, however you need to be prepared to commute (like London) to go from an affordable town into the city. Its also too big a city for me if I am honest...

I lived in Perth and because of the family (we have 4 children) then they are all set to return (in fact they want to go straight back to our old suburb)... Your husband is correct, the job's market is very tough over there - I know a very competent CFO with a strong CV who has been out of work for over a year now...

Brisbane is a good choice, its a bit bigger than Perth but also benefits from a lot more going on over East... and if work was hard to find, your relatively not that far away from other East coast cities.

We will give Perth a go and if nothing materialises, heading over East...

Hi Laura

The good thing about the system is so long as you can provide evidence to support your claim, then you will get the points. So if it is just as easy for your Husband to support a claim of 80 points, then clealry that will get you an invite faster (on the next invitation round I would guess). But clearly you need to be able to verify all of the experience claimed (whether that be for years of work experience or education).

On your qualifications, from memory your husbands CIMA will be a degree equivalent so you may have more points in the bag...

GOOD LUCK

Hi Laura

The good thing about the system is so long as you can provide evidence to support your claim, then you will get the points. So if it is just as easy for your Husband to support a claim of 80 points, then clealry that will get you an invite faster (on the next invitation round I would guess). But clearly you need to be able to verify all of the experience claimed (whether that be for years of work experience or education).

On your qualifications, from memory your husbands CIMA will be a degree equivalent so you may have more points in the bag...

GOOD LUCK

Hi Pommie, thanks for your helpful replies. We are hoping to get the EOI submitted before the end of the month so hopefully the 80 points would give us a good chance of an invite before 1st July.

FWIW I think this shows why it's worth having a consultation. I'm 36 with "12 years" experience in Accounting and CIMA qualified. I hit 70 points when assessed.

I put my migration assessment application into CPA Australia in a fit of pique and then did my research afterwards. I would recommend having a initial assessment with a MARA agent to make sure you are on track for the points that you assume, and also any other appropriate strategies. I did my assessment late in the process but it was still worthwhile and frankly good value. It's an insurance against poor administration and worth checking you aren't double claiming points (i.e. CIMA and a Degree count for the same).

The CPA team at Australia House in London are also a fantastic support, and I would recommend engaging with them asap too.

Best of luck

Ferrets

Speaking with your assessing body to fully understand what EXACTLY they want to see as part of their skills assessment process is definitely good advice. I found CPA Australia VERY helpful. Rita Wang was my contact and she was brilliant....

If you actually do your homework, research what the process involves and requires then I would say the majority of people do not need an agent.

Ferrets - What you describe above is someone who didn't enquire or research what was required until you hit a stumbling block. It sounds like you managed once you did this.

There is definitely nothing wrong with using an agent as they do some of the thinking for you, however you still have to do all of the work in pulling together the supporting paperwork, employer references, obtain your international travel details for the last 10 years (form 80) and so on... an agent can't do this for you.

My advice is assuming your application is straight forward... if it isn't, then definitely consult a migration agent...

You would be surprised at how easy it is to get a refusal when doing it yourself. I personally know a couple of agents and was chatting to one this week who has just had a doctor refused for making a mistake on a date.

Thanks Verystormy. Since posting my first post on this thread we have decided we are going to use an agent for assisting us with submitting the visa application, we would hate for anything to be wrong that we hadn't picked up on and get refused, for us it's just not worth the risk..

I did it myself and my visa was granted today. ? I think if I went through an agent it may of been quicker as I had a couple of documents requested......if I had an agent they would of sent everything with my application......but when you think about it, a couple of months is nothing. What's the rush? Good luck peeps ?

About half of DIY applicants either stuff it up or give it up.

Many years of experience and by reviewing the information published by the DIBP.

I do not count as DIY applicants who consulted a RMA to be put on the right track, but did not have an application lodged by a RMA - the DIBP does.

It can be noted that the DIBP does publish the % of applicants represented by a RMA, but not the relative success rates.

I have had 4 enquires so far this month from applicant who did not get past the skills assessment and several from people who need to get their act together before applying for partner visas.

Many years of experience and by reviewing the information published by the DIBP.

I do not count as DIY applicants who consulted a RMA to be put on the right track, but did not have an application lodged by a RMA - the DIBP does.

It can be noted that the DIBP does publish the % of applicants represented by a RMA, but not the relative success rates.

I have had 4 enquires so far this month from applicant who did not get past the skills assessment and several from people who need to get their act together before applying for partner visas.

That's a huge percentage - had I known that before I may not have DIY'd myself !!

I did speak to an agent before DIYing (although an employee of a registered person I'm not sure wether they were registered themselves ?) and felt after a good chat that I was happy to go on my own.

Obviously having taken that decision I had to be happy that the risk of failure may increase but my main concern was being able to spend ALOT of time studying MY situation rather than having to rely on someone else doing so.

If someone doesn't have that time then I would definitely recommend using a registered agent.