are we crazy to do not use a migration agent?!?

mummyoftwo

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dunno about this. Realised, (in horror) a day before I had my 189 issued to me, that I had actually lodged a few documents under the wife's maiden name (she'll never let me live that one down, if she finds out...).

DIBP either didn't pick up on it, didn't care, or realised I'm Scottish and (therefore) probably just fortunate to be literate...

I can understand people with medical conditions or criminal histories finding it useful to have an agent to support them. For the rest of us, if you're methodical and sensible, I cannot fathom spending the extra thousands on what is effectively very expensive proof-reading.

I expect a very large number of females will submit a number of documents in maiden name. I was the main applicant and submitted my birth certificate, degree certificate and several employer reference in my maiden name. You do not get these things reissued once married! I am sure DIBP are well aware that women sometimes change their name.

Here's where we've got to:

Age 32 - 30 points (assuming we are invited to and apply before next birthday in November)

Superior English - 20 points (IELTS 8.5, 8.5, 9, 9 taken in April)

CIMA qualified - 10 points (unless it is 15?)

6 years' post-qualified experience - 10 points

He does also have a relevant degree and 11 years' total post degree work experience but we wonder if it is worth trying to claim 80 points if he has a comfortable 70, which seems enough for everyone else.

It is 15 points for both CIMA and the degree, however I would keep it straightfirward and claim 15 points for the degree, it doesn't even have to be relevant. No need to claim more points than necessary, it is only more evidence to provide.

Thanks Verystormy. Since posting my first post on this thread we have decided we are going to use an agent for assisting us with submitting the visa application, we would hate for anything to be wrong that we hadn't picked up on and get refused, for us it's just not worth the risk..

Your case looks pretty straightforward and I cannot see what an agent is going to bring to the table. You need a skillls assessment that predates your EOI, an IELTS that predates EOI and you need to prove the degree and the work experience as an accountant with references. That is it. Then you fill a form in amd attach your documents. I am honestly not anti agent, I often recommend one, but it really is not that hard to lodge your own. Afterwards I think you will realise that you could easily have done it yourself, considering you have got this far already.

The general rule of thumb seems to be check, check and double check again that any points applied for are valid, safe and risk-free. Anything that's risky could result in a knock back.

As I recall the system isn't perfect - so in my wife's case, the time she'd had off or worked under 20 hours a week wasn't counted as experience. So even though she'd had tons of senior experience, the combination of being off on maternity leave 3 times over 10 years, and only working 22 hours a week the rest of the time meant that officially none of her experience could be counted, as it averaged under 20 hours a week.

To me that seemed to be a flawed system that didn't favour women (mothers) - but we were still able to get 60 safe points through other means. We only had 60, but 60 is all that required, so as long as you can get a very solid 60, you should be basically ok. But it's making sure that those 60 points are clear, and that you applied for on your EOI can be verified and backup up. This is the really important part. And completing all those other steps required to get you to the position where you can lodge the EOI in the first place...

Whether you use an agent or not, these are the fundamental things that need to be done properly.

Apologies for lack of clarity, Bungo: to clarify, when I say I lodged them under her maiden name, I mean I put her maiden name in the online form -> the documents themselves had her married name. Poor old CO would be opening files under her maiden name and wondering who this married woman would be... Hey ho, all academic now.

Apologies for lack of clarity, Bungo: to clarify, when I say I lodged them under her maiden name, I mean I put her maiden name in the online form -> the documents themselves had her married name. Poor old CO would be opening files under her maiden name and wondering who this married woman would be... Hey ho, all academic now.

Oh dear. Still wouldn't have led to a visa refusal, maybe a request for clarity at worst.

Still reading some of this thread and one could be left thinking a spelling mistake would be an outright decline.

This thread is worrying me! We weren't intending to use an agent, but I'm thinking that might be a mistake now. Especially the part about how much experience can be claimed when taking into consideration part time working and maternity leave

This thread is worrying me! We weren't intending to use an agent, but I'm thinking that might be a mistake now. Especially the part about how much experience can be claimed when taking into consideration part time working and maternity leave

No need to worry! The information will be out there. Just will just need to check, double check and triple check the requirements, go over it with a fine tooth-comb. Anything that looks a bit iffy, don't use it in your application (it seems like experience and time since graduation can trip some up). You only claim for stuff you know is super solid. Age, qualifications, whatever it might be. You don't need any more points than 60. So get the solid 60 nailed down and it's good to go.

To be honest, when we said 'we never used an agent' that wasn't entirely true. A couple of times we paid a smaller consulting fee just to verify a couple of things. We were plenty stressed to be frank...

There is nothing wrong with either way. Ultimately it's about getting your Visa. If you can afford an agent, why not? Just get a good one that's been endorsed and recommended by others.

No need to worry! The information will be out there. Just will just need to check, double check and triple check the requirements, go over it with a fine tooth-comb. Anything that looks a bit iffy, don't use it in your application (it seems like experience and time since graduation can trip some up). You only claim for stuff you know is super solid. Age, qualifications, whatever it might be. You don't need any more points than 60. So get the solid 60 nailed down and it's good to go.

To be honest, when we said 'we never used an agent' that wasn't entirely true. A couple of times we paid a smaller consulting fee just to verify a couple of things. We were plenty stressed to be frank...

There is nothing wrong with either way. Ultimately it's about getting your Visa. If you can afford an agent, why not? Just get a good one that's been endorsed and recommended by others.

Ah that's what I wanted to do - just pay the agent for the bits I really needed. Without my experience counting I would not have enough points to get a 189 or 190, as I am applying under General Accountant and it's very much oversubscribed.

Well, you can only ask. I don't think they generally 'consult' but we were literally just about to lodge our EOI when we did it. We'd done everything, and just wanted to check we were right. If I recall it was more fraught at that point, because that's when you put all your stuff down - your points stuff. The actual application is then a fleshed out version of your EOI with all the proof, medicals etc.

I might be wrong, but when we were doing ours, I only heard of one person who applied and got KB'd. I think others might have been dissuaded and not applied, but other than that I only knew of one. He'd made an error - he'd counted all the time in work before he'd got his degree as experience.

When you are paying that kind of money you need to be really pedantic, as the system is entirely pedantic. Fit the criteria and it's on. There will be lists on here about the process. It's like cramming for an important exam.

Even if you use an agent you should also be aware of the process as much as possible. Otherwise how would you know they are doing a good job?

(apologies in advance for being a =gobsh*te :)

Sounds to me like you should get an agent! You wont remember is 2 years time if it was a good move or not... it'll just be thing you did one. In the past...

Ah that's what I wanted to do - just pay the agent for the bits I really needed. Without my experience counting I would not have enough points to get a 189 or 190, as I am applying under General Accountant and it's very much oversubscribed.

I can't really comment as to whether an agent would be an appropriate choice for you or not, but it is worth noting that the CPA also assess your relevant experience claim as well as the actual skills assessment, for no additional fee. Personally we haven't gone with an agent ourselves, but the CPA's verification provided me some reassurance that my experience was relevant and should count in their opinion. They also rejected part of my experience, so I think they do go through it in detail. It stopped me over-claiming for my experience on the EOI (it was the difference between crossing the 5 year threshold or not).

It's not a guarantee by any means, because the DIBP could always disagree with the CPA's assessment, but I'd say it probably helps that you have a letter from the assessing authority confirming that in their qualified opinion x number of years of your experience is relevant and should be claimed for.

As I mentioned earlier today, this thread might lead some to believe a spelling mistake would lead to a visa refusal! Still getting work experience points wrong could be a costly mistake, if you are trying to cobble it together through part time work and maternity leave then that is an area of potential mistakes.

Play it safe, don't include more than you have to. Paid maternity leave counts, but if you take half pay for double the length of time off then don't count the double time. Unpaid never counts. Part time work doesn't count, unless you have two part time jobs at same time amounting to sufficient weekly hours, but I still would be nervous about cobbling this type of evidence together. I wouldn't do that without a migration agent no.

But of course many people do not have such complications hence my other comments on this thread that many people manage the application perfectly well by themselves.

As I mentioned earlier today, this thread might lead some to believe a spelling mistake would lead to a visa refusal! Still getting work experience points wrong could be a costly mistake, if you are trying to cobble it together through part time work and maternity leave then that is an area of potential mistakes.

Play it safe, don't include more than you have to. Paid maternity leave counts, but if you take half pay for double the length of time off then don't count the double time. Unpaid never counts. Part time work doesn't count, unless you have two part time jobs at same time amounting to sufficient weekly hours, but I still would be nervous about cobbling this type of evidence together. I wouldn't do that without a migration agent no.

But of course many people do not have such complications hence my other comments on this thread that many people manage the application perfectly well by themselves.

Very valid point. But given the cost of migration, and the very low cost (if any) of an initial consultation, I would still recommend that.

I used wrussell, and to this day believe that it was exceptional value for the service that I received.

Was it essential? Perhaps not, but at the same time it was advice bespoke to me that I would not expect to be given for free by any agent on a forum. We are spoilt on this site by the quality of contributions a wee bit ;-)

For the OP it might not be needed, but I still see accountants who are going for assessment with potentially the wrong body (causes issues with syllabi, etc.)

Just my thoughts, but in the wider scheme of the expenses we went through a professional consultation was very low down the list.

daddylauraoftwo here (the main applicant), thanks all for the responses and helpful comments. Quick bit of background. Initially we had assumed we would go with an agent to make sure everything was all done correctly, contacted one and got an initial response saying we should be eligible for a 189, a breakdown of the costs at the various stages and an invitation to a free discussion. The cost breakdown included an initial eligibility assessment, skills assessment preparation, EOI submission and visa application.

With the breakdown of my situation I had no concern of being eligible and seeing how prescriptive the CPA (which seemed logical given the reciprocal agreement with CIMA) requirements were I didn't really have too many concerns with being able to do the first stages of their cost breakdown ourselves. The EOI I understand is a relatively straightforward form so would imagine we could do that fine, which left the actual visa submission. The suggested cost here was the same as preparing the skills assessment, which led us to think it was probably about the same amount of work and if we can submit a skills assessment ok then maybe we can do the whole thing. That led us to the original post.

Where we are now, I have not yet had that initial free eligibility call (although intend to book it early next week) and am gathering the documents to submit for skills assessment. Waiting for university to come back with whether they can provide any syllabus information back that far, if they can then we're in good shape, if not then to my mum's loft it is to see what I might still have. All subject to what the CPA think but best case we have a relevant degree and 10 years' experience to get 80 points (along with age and ielts), worst case if recreating my own syllabus seems like too much hard work we only submit the CIMA and 5 years' experience and get 75 points. Once university come back I will contact CPA as recommended above to get any guidance.

Assuming the CPA have no issues and our own submitted EOI gets us an invite we would then consider paying a much smaller cost for an agent to make the final application on our behalf to make sure everything was ok and they caught anything we might have missed. Sure we could do it ourselves but a small cost in the grand scheme of the whole thing for that added peace of mind.

daddylauraoftwo here (the main applicant), thanks all for the responses and helpful comments. Quick bit of background. Initially we had assumed we would go with an agent to make sure everything was all done correctly, contacted one and got an initial response saying we should be eligible for a 189, a breakdown of the costs at the various stages and an invitation to a free discussion. The cost breakdown included an initial eligibility assessment, skills assessment preparation, EOI submission and visa application.

With the breakdown of my situation I had no concern of being eligible and seeing how prescriptive the CPA (which seemed logical given the reciprocal agreement with CIMA) requirements were I didn't really have too many concerns with being able to do the first stages of their cost breakdown ourselves. The EOI I understand is a relatively straightforward form so would imagine we could do that fine, which left the actual visa submission. The suggested cost here was the same as preparing the skills assessment, which led us to think it was probably about the same amount of work and if we can submit a skills assessment ok then maybe we can do the whole thing. That led us to the original post.

Where we are now, I have not yet had that initial free eligibility call (although intend to book it early next week) and am gathering the documents to submit for skills assessment. Waiting for university to come back with whether they can provide any syllabus information back that far, if they can then we're in good shape, if not then to my mum's loft it is to see what I might still have. All subject to what the CPA think but best case we have a relevant degree and 10 years' experience to get 80 points (along with age and ielts), worst case if recreating my own syllabus seems like too much hard work we only submit the CIMA and 5 years' experience and get 75 points. Once university come back I will contact CPA as recommended above to get any guidance.

Assuming the CPA have no issues and our own submitted EOI gets us an invite we would then consider paying a much smaller cost for an agent to make the final application on our behalf to make sure everything was ok and they caught anything we might have missed. Sure we could do it ourselves but a small cost in the grand scheme of the whole thing for that added peace of mind.

Hey Daddy,

Once you are clear of the CPA assessment I don't think that you would require an agent help. The help comes in making sure you have the best strategy, use the right body for your qualification, get your JDs aligned, etc.

For me my initial feel was that I was going to get 80 points. It turned out to be 70 via CPA (turned out a lot of my experience didn't hit experience description). I was also unsure about what experience counted and in hindsight could have done it better.

At this point (with no other info) if you only count work post getting your letters what does that do to your points?

BTW Hoping we can have beers in Brissy soon!!!

Thanks Ferrets. As it stands I'm on 65 points without any experience (30 age, 20 English, 15 CIMA or degree) so as long as CPA think at least some of my experience is ok I'm pretty relaxed about how much. Post qualification is 6 years so assuming CPA don't take any issue with that then we should end up at 75 without having to bother about the degree syllabus. Might just go that way to save having to wait on the university and speed it up a little bit.

Beers sound good, when are you heading over?

Thanks Ferrets. As it stands I'm on 65 points without any experience (30 age, 20 English, 15 CIMA or degree) so as long as CPA think at least some of my experience is ok I'm pretty relaxed about how much. Post qualification is 6 years so assuming CPA don't take any issue with that then we should end up at 75 without having to bother about the degree syllabus. Might just go that way to save having to wait on the university and speed it up a little bit.

If I were you, I would push ahead ASAP with your CPA skills assessment.... Personally I believe Accountants will remain on the skills shortage list, however there is a clear risk that as at July 1st, your window to obtain a visa is lost. This gives you 6 weeks (it) to get CPA assessment and them submit an EOI AND get an invite. assuming the invite is around the 20th of the month, then you have just over 4 weeks.... It feels a stretch, but I would try...

I often tell people they need an agent, but I honestly cannot think of any reason why you need an agent based on what you have said so far. You don't even need an initial eligibility call, you know you are eligible as your occupation is on the list and you have enough points. That is all you will be told during such an assessment. You would be asked about health or character issues I expect too, if you don't have any issues then that would also be a pass.

Applying as an accountant is about as easy as it gets, it is certainly the easiest skills assessment by a mile. Although you will need to sit academic IELTS before you apply. Being CIMA qualified, you will pass CPA skills assessment almost by default as they have a reciprocal arrangement in place.

Do not go anywhere near the immigration system to start your EOI before you have your positive skills assessment in your hands and before you apply for that you would need IELTS which you can also use for points on the application. An EOI that predates the skills assessment is a visa denial. It is important to get information correct on the EOI, you would need to be careful with dates if you are claiming work experience points for example, but I don't think it requires an agent to ensure you type your dates in properly.

I am also an accountant. I stupidly used an agent at first because I also thought it was a sensible thing to do. It created more work for me, was slower, they got it wrong and my first skills assessment was refused (and I was a fully qualified accountant with 15 years experience and it would not have been refused had I dbe it myself because I would have followed the instructions properly). I sacked the agent after that and did the visa application myself. Although only after having to involve MARA as the agent refused to give me my skills assessment after I sacked them. It was far, far less stressful once I was in control and didn't have to deal with a third party. And it is really not that hard to fill a form in!

I wasted £1000 on an agent, I might as well have thrown it in the bin. It is indeed a small figure in the grand scheme, I am not a penny pincher, I moved three cats, a 40 foot container and flew out in business class. But I don't think that means I should waste money on something that is easily done by myself.

http://www.charteredaccountants.com.au/The-Institute/Migration-assessment/Fees-and-processing-times.aspx#a6

If you are time pressured - eg a key birthday is imminent, or you want to have an EoI lodged with a view to giving yourself a chance of a visa invitation being forthcoming before the new program year (when the regulations might change, improbable as that is with the Federal Government being in election mode) - a migration skills assessment application lodged by a registered migration agent with Chartered Accountants Australia & NZ can be turned around in 5 business days.

Best regards.

I often tell people they need an agent, but I honestly cannot think of any reason why you need an agent based on what you have said so far. You don't even need an initial eligibility call, you know you are eligible as your occupation is on the list and you have enough points. That is all you will be told during such an assessment. You would be asked about health or character issues I expect too, if you don't have any issues then that would also be a pass.

Applying as an accountant is about as easy as it gets, it is certainly the easiest skills assessment by a mile. Although you will need to sit academic IELTS before you apply. Being CIMA qualified, you will pass CPA skills assessment almost by default as they have a reciprocal arrangement in place.

Do not go anywhere near the immigration system to start your EOI before you have your positive skills assessment in your hands and before you apply for that you would need IELTS which you can also use for points on the application. An EOI that predates the skills assessment is a visa denial. It is important to get information correct on the EOI, you would need to be careful with dates if you are claiming work experience points for example, but I don't think it requires an agent to ensure you type your dates in properly.

I am also an accountant. I stupidly used an agent at first because I also thought it was a sensible thing to do. It created more work for me, was slower, they got it wrong and my first skills assessment was refused (and I was a fully qualified accountant with 15 years experience and it would not have been refused had I dbe it myself because I would have followed the instructions properly). I sacked the agent after that and did the visa application myself. Although only after having to involve MARA as the agent refused to give me my skills assessment after I sacked them. It was far, far less stressful once I was in control and didn't have to deal with a third party. And it is really not that hard to fill a form in!

I wasted £1000 on an agent, I might as well have thrown it in the bin. It is indeed a small figure in the grand scheme, I am not a penny pincher, I moved three cats, a 40 foot container and flew out in business class. But I don't think that means I should waste money on something that is easily done by myself.

Again, a fair point. However for me I spent a long time working through the information myself and then wanted to sense check where I was in the process, and the state of my CPA assessment prior to submission.

To me it was worthwhile and cost a fraction of the £1,000 you quote. For me that would also have been a totally unnecessary expense, but I think it's worth being aware that MARA agents, and in particular the ones that post here regularly, do offer more services and options than the "full package".

This could be as simple as an initial roadmap discussion without creating the additional work that you had, but I think we have a good lot of agents here :cute:

As Pommie says, you should move quickly to get your CPA Assessment completed. It should be straightforward because of the MRA, but the more time consuming piece is pulling together your record of skilled employment.

CPA Australia will recognise your ACMA as equivalent to an Australian bachelor degree (15 points), so if you are confident in your post qualification experience then push ahead quickly with the assessment. CPA took 10 working days for my assessment, so you should be assuming similar.

It's worth contacting your Uni in parallel, but for me whilst I managed to get a copy of my transcripts I needed to make a statutory declaration for the syllabi. This was sufficient to get my degree(s) recognised, and then skilled employment recognised from that date (I needed the points).

I knew I needed 5 years, and so focussed on the roles that covered this period. The Australian Bureau of Statistics has some excellent job descriptions that will allow you to tailor your skilled experience accordingly, which will also point you towards which ANZSCO code you should apply for your migration assessment under;

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Product+Lookup/1220.0~2006~Chapter~UNIT+GROUP+2211+Accountants

Good luck and get going with the paperwork. It should be possible to get an invite in June but you will need to move quickly. Theresa O'Reilly is massively helpful as well at the CPA Australia office at Australia House in London and is worth getting in touch with early.

Looks like we will land between October and December, TBC at the moment - looking forward to a Christmas Barbie already :wink:

As Pommie says, you should move quickly to get your CPA Assessment completed. It should be straightforward because of the MRA, but the more time consuming piece is pulling together your record of skilled employment.

CPA Australia will recognise your ACMA as equivalent to an Australian bachelor degree (15 points), so if you are confident in your post qualification experience then push ahead quickly with the assessment. CPA took 10 working days for my assessment, so you should be assuming similar.

It's worth contacting your Uni in parallel, but for me whilst I managed to get a copy of my transcripts I needed to make a statutory declaration for the syllabi. This was sufficient to get my degree(s) recognised, and then skilled employment recognised from that date (I needed the points).

I knew I needed 5 years, and so focussed on the roles that covered this period. The Australian Bureau of Statistics has some excellent job descriptions that will allow you to tailor your skilled experience accordingly, which will also point you towards which ANZSCO code you should apply for your migration assessment under;

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Product+Lookup/1220.0~2006~Chapter~UNIT+GROUP+2211+Accountants

Good luck and get going with the paperwork. It should be possible to get an invite in June but you will need to move quickly. Theresa O'Reilly is massively helpful as well at the CPA Australia office at Australia House in London and is worth getting in touch with early.

Looks like we will land between October and December, TBC at the moment - looking forward to a Christmas Barbie already :wink:

Thanks for the comments, and the link. I have my experience drafted up already and it seems to tick the boxes (I think my employer would be disappointed if I had been doing something else for the last 11 years!). Maybe a couple of tweaks to just give a little more emphasis on a few areas and can then get work to sign it off. Actions for tomorrow, call CPA to have a check up on a couple of things, get the experience finished off and under someone's nose to sign off and then hopefully by the middle of the week we should be in good shape to get all the docs over to the CPA.

If they can turnaround within the same sort of timescale as others have experienced, we can get the EOI in pretty quick when they come back and hopefully we get that invite in June.

Archived