New... are we crazy?? Anyone ever relocated having never visited?

Foxes

Hi,

I am new to this site, we have an opportunity to move to Australia via my partners company and my company also have offices over there too, anybody decided tomoved their whole family across without actually having been there first? We know a few people and have extended family members already there in various places but not sure if we should take the bull by the horns and go for it, the kids are young enough, 7, 4 and 13 weeks old. Are we totally crazy???????

Nothing wrong with that, mate. Over half a million families came over without seeing Australia beforehand. There were about 300 families on the ship I came out on and I don't think they saw this wonderful country before.

Cheers,Bobj.

Who knows?! Looks like you will be coming on a temporary visa which could make things financially tricky - depends on the state you will be going to (school fees, child care fees with no support etc). If the offer on the table leaves you significantly better off than your current situation then your kids are young enough that you could do it for a few years and return at the end of the visa if necessary or stay if you have the chance (not guaranteed). Don't burn any bridges - get a commitment from the company that your UK position will still be there is it goes pear shaped, don't sell your home etc.

Our migration agent told us not to bother visiting, he said those people that find it hardest to settle are those that decide to migrate after a holiday because living there is nothing like visiting and they go with expectations.

Sounds like a great opportunity for an adventure but as @Quoll said make sure he has a UK job to return to. I worked for a British company in Australia, I got the job out there but a colleague had moved across on a 457 visa. He had to resign from his UK job to take up the Australian one (technically a different company), unfortunately he was diagnosed with a serious illness, was unable to pass a medical for PR and his family had to return, without a job to return to and with a serious illness :(

It has worked out okay but it left a very bitter taste, he had worked for the company for 20 years!

Thanks, we will know more tomorrow when he has a telephone call scheduled with his boss, will depend on a few important things coming together for us to move to the next level. If it goes well I will do more looking into things. Fingers all crossed!!!! I have my mum's blessing so that's me fully on board with the idea.

Not mad to move without visiting. Australia is a big place and the states are all different, so if you don't like one you might like another. Adelaide could be in a different country to Cairns climate wise for example.

You are mad ( in my opinion) to move family without research though, especially on a temp visa like a 457. So do spend some time checking the finances and routes to PR. Oh and don't just use the current exchange rate, costs vary from city to city as do wages but if your earnings will be 2.2 times in dollars what you earn in pounds it will give you a rough parity. Of course if you are living in London and move to Adelaide with 2.2 times earnings then you would be better off.

I don't think you're mad. We had a similar situation and would probably have come without a visit, but in the end we had one (a visit) anyway, and it was very useful to us in terms of narrowing down where we might want to live.

If you are coming over with an existing employer then you're even safer, probably. But I would consider:

a) What they are actually offering you in terms of $. If it's just converted at the exchange rate, then don't do it - you need more here as costs are not equivalent

b) Whether or not there is any real likelihood of you working or will you be reliant on one salary. It can be hard for spouses of those on temporary visas to get work (even though they have the right) so the safe option is to do your sums based on the one salary only

c) Whereabouts are we talking about? This makes a massive difference to the affordability of the move, and it's primarily a housing cost issue.

d) The location also matters for schooling, and whether or not you get charged for it on a temporary visa. You pay in NSW, ACT and now WA, and I believe SA is bringing in charges. QLD and VIC I don't think so but the tide is against you and it's a significant cost. No matter if the company pick up the bill of course (as mine did)

e) Definitely if it's an in-company move try to ensure you are able to pull out and come back if it doesn't work out

f) As Quoll suggests, consider renting your house out rather than selling. We did sell ours in a similar situation, but primarily because it was very very old and would have been a maintenance liability from the other side of the world. A more modern house we'd have kept

g) Try and work out yourselves if you are making the move because you really want to live somewhere else, or if it's just a case of opportunity knocking. What you decide to do can depend on this - for example if the latter then doing the move on a "suck it and see" basis on a temporary visa is fine, if you go back then no harm done. On the flipside if you are taking an opportunity because you are certain you want to permanently live in Aus then you might want to think about routes to permanent residency a bit harder

Don't let us put you off too much, just keep your eyes open. With young kids you can move much more freely and are risking less by doing so - moving with teenagers brings a whole host of issues with friends, education systems, higher education fees, etc etc etc do you don't have to contend with all that

For many people it works just fine. Did for us - we moved here with a 4 year old, he's now 9 and his baby sister is 3. We gave ourselves a window of not having to decide if it was "for good" until he was approaching 13 as you have to start making choices about exam/education systems. But I bet we don't go back

Don't worry about it. Oz is so easy. It's hardly a foreign country - you will feel at home in no time.

Er..I can't quite tell if this is sarcasm, it not it's the worst possible advice - Australia is a very different country to the UK, if it wasn't there would be little point moving there, if it wasn't most people would be better staying in the UK.

Going there expecting it to be 'Britain in the sun' is a sure way to end up very unhappy! Unless of course you live in a suburb surrounded by other poms, work in one of the trades/professions with a lot of poms and have BBQ's at the weekend with other poms congratulating one another on how fortunate you are because you have a pool in your garden. My idea of hell but each to their own.

Hi,

I am new to this site, we have an opportunity to move to Australia via my partners company and my company also have offices over there too, anybody decided tomoved their whole family across without actually having been there first? We know a few people and have extended family members already there in various places but not sure if we should take the bull by the horns and go for it, the kids are young enough, 7, 4 and 13 weeks old. Are we totally crazy???????

What you worried about?

we came out with nothing and not knowing anybody in 2008 with a 18 month year old a five year old and 8 year old. No jobs lined up,no extended family ,no friends. Count yourself as lucky to have that if/ when you arrive.go for it :wubclub:

What you worried about?

we came out with nothing and not knowing anybody in 2008 with a 18 month year old a five year old and 8 year old. No jobs lined up,no extended family ,no friends. Count yourself as lucky to have that if/ when you arrive.go for it :wubclub:

Just never thought we would be in a position to even look at it. We have a very comfortable life here so I guess it's the uncertainty of somewhere new and very expensive with a temp visa. I think not fully understanding the processes creates fear.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Er..I can't quite tell if this is sarcasm, it not it's the worst possible advice - Australia is a very different country to the UK, if it wasn't there would be little point moving there, if it wasn't most people would be better staying in the UK.

Going there expecting it to be 'Britain in the sun' is a sure way to end up very unhappy! Unless of course you live in a suburb surrounded by other poms, work in one of the trades/professions with a lot of poms and have BBQ's at the weekend with other poms congratulating one another on how fortunate you are because you have a pool in your garden. My idea of hell but each to their own.

I don't know why you think I would be sarcastic. I'm totally sincere. Anyone thinking of coming here should give it a go - there's nothing scary about Oz.

Apart from the Snakes, the Spiders, the Crocodiles .... (Not that I've seen any of them in the 4 years I've been here, but just saying)

Lol, I don't mind them it's my other half that would cry like a baby!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk