Support for free movement between OZ, UK, NZ and Canada

Lambethlad

Yes EW. You are a genius.

India has a population over 1 Billion people, many living in poverty.

Let's let them all move over here.

Do you ever think about the consequences of those brain farts that you and Harpo have ?

Don't be a dickhead Parley, neither Harpo or myself are proposing that this hair-brained scheme go ahead. Quite the opposite in fact. But, if the UK, New Zealand, Canada and Australia were to try and get something like this off the ground, then you can imagine the outrage it would cause amongst the rest of the Commonwealth and a country like India would immediately ask this question. Unless of course those four countries were effectively gearing up to jettison the rest of the Commonwealth and didn't give a damn about the wider consequences?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone of any significance in those countries has suggested it.

Quite the opposite actually Britain is making it harder for Australians.

The Commonwealth is a bit of an anacronism these days.

The only good thing about it is the Commonwealth Games.

Othewise it has no practical purpose.

Don't be a dickhead Parley, neither Harpo or myself are proposing that this hair-brained scheme go ahead. Quite the opposite in fact. But, if the UK, New Zealand, Canada and Australia were to try and get something like this off the ground, then you can imagine the outrage it would cause amongst the rest of the Commonwealth and a country like India would immediately ask this question. Unless of course those four countries were effectively gearing up to jettison the rest of the Commonwealth and didn't give a damn about the wider consequences?

I'm not the one saying we should throw open the doors and let millions of people flood in from 3rd world countries because they happen to be in the Commonwealth.

I suspect you secretly wish there were no country borders anywhere and we all lived as one big happy family of man, moving around as we like.

A John Lennon fantasy.

............What we need is a great big melting pot

Big enough to take

The world and all it's got

Remove all borders barricades and more.....

Let the people wander freely by the score.......

.............it may be a fantasy......

.............but the bigroty....selfishness and total lack of awareness of those less fortunate than ourselves....

.............is abysmal......IMO.....

..............keep out the......undesirables....the poor people.....the countries that don't quite make the mark...

..............and pull up the ladder.....

..............I realise open borders won't work.......but selective segregation.....only widens the gap....

..............the few 'desirables 'banding together......can only emphasise this...,!

I don't think anyone of any significance in those countries has suggested it.

Quite the opposite actually Britain is making it harder for Australians.

Othewise it has no practical purpose.

From memory I think BoJo has advocated such a policy

I'm not the one saying we should throw open the doors and let millions of people flood in from 3rd world countries because they happen to be in the Commonwealth.

I suspect you secretly wish there were no country borders anywhere and we all lived as one big happy family of man, moving around as we like.

A John Lennon fantasy.

Parley use your brain son. No one is saying that. I actually agree with you for once that this is a bad idea.

The British pub industry is in a bad enough state as it is without tonnes of Australian bar-staff coming over and driving wages down further.

Parley use your brain son. No one is saying that. I actually agree with you for once that this is a bad idea.

The British pub industry is in a bad enough state as it is without tonnes of Australian bar-staff coming over and driving wages down further.

:laugh: A friend's granddaughter is working in a pub in Edinburgh for 6 months. Loves it there.

Interestingly, the Commonwealth Games has no official link with the Commonwealth. It is owned by a private organisation called The Commonwealth Games Federation.

Interestingly, the Commonwealth Games has no official link with the Commonwealth. It is owned by a private organisation called The Commonwealth Games Federation.

Does that mean that countries with no connection can crowbar themselves in like Aus did with Eurovision?

Does that mean that countries with no connection can crowbar themselves in like Aus did with Eurovision?

It would need the CGF constitution to be amended, but that could be voted on by member organisations. So - yes it is possible but it is very unlikely as it would jeopardise its niche market.

I know a Australian guy who wants to swap citizenships with me, he would do it in 2 seconds if he could. I'd only want it for a few years then mine back lol

Both of you could have Dual citizenship couldn't you ? or is Scotland different rules to England?

Cal x

Looks like things are really changing.

Its in the news that skilled workers will be able to go and live between these countries to work visa free.

Basically anyone should be able to migrate to live and work in any of these places, if this is true.

So you could have your mates from back home joining you down under !!

Guest The Pom Queen
It has been rumoured for years. I cant see it ever happening. In fact, in the current climate, I think we are further from it than ever

It seems all the countries were for it apart from the UK.

Wouldn't rely on it. I understand this is one of Boris Johnson's flash in the pan initiatives which we'll probably hear nothing more of again. Set this vague possibility up against the current reality that non-EU citizens will be forced out of the UK soon if they earn less then GBP35K a year. See http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/mar/12/eu-workers-deported-earning-less-35000-employees-americans-australians

Will never happen. There should be no completely "free movement" between any countries.

Ah...... memories of passport control at every border in Europe. It kind-of made the journey more of an epic event. Always interesting to see the different ways that the process was handled. Some polite immigration officers; some not so much.

And the military checkpoints between Norn Irn and the South! Sometimes quite intimidating for the uninitiated!

USA into Canada at Niagara, just walk across the bridge, then panic in case you have left the passport in the car on the USA side! :embarrassed:

• 6 months later...