Should the UK cut ties with the EU?

starlight7

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can any British Citizen vote ?

From the Beeb

[h=2]Who will be able to vote?[/h]British, Irish and Commonwealth citizens over 18 who are resident in the UK, along with UK nationals who have lived overseas for less than 15 years. Members of the House of Lords and Commonwealth citizens in Gibraltar will also be eligible, unlike in a general election. Citizens from EU countries - apart from Ireland, Malta and Cyprus - will not get a vote.

the place is a wash with eastern Europeans..even the beggers on the streets of london are foriegn now

God Almighty - first they take our jobs, then they claim our benefits and now they take our begging pitches. Whatever next?

Edited by Quinkla

I want UK to stay in the EU.

I'm not that close to the issues affecting the UK but UK is part of Europe so she should be in it.

Like David Cameron is doing he needs to influence the EU to make sure UK's interests are protected.

Better to be inside the tent and be able to influence things than be outside and ending up a small insignificant player in Europe and the world.

With all due respect parley ,if I said well " oz is part of Asia ".

Not only that we are setting a common market ( ) ...so china ,India,Malaysia,Indonesia ,Australia and new Zealand can all trade together ...GREAT ..

10 years on ....we are taking down the borders ,and you all have freedom of movement and one passport .

Not so great now is it .....australia population would be about 200 million within 10 years .

I want out , keep our currency ...imagine London without sterling ,if the headquarters moved to Frankfurt .

They can keep the euro ...put the borders back up .....you cannot amalgamate European countries into a European soup ...i mean austroa borders Italy ,but they are nothing alike ...the Dutch and the Germans ..

Vive la difference

With all due respect parley ,if I said well " oz is part of Asia ".

Not only that we are setting a common market ( ) ...so china ,India,Malaysia,Indonesia ,Australia and new Zealand can all trade together ...GREAT ..

10 years on ....we are taking down the borders ,and you all have freedom of movement and one passport .

Not so great now is it .....australia population would be about 200 million within 10 years

You need to try to equalise economies before you completely open borders but that's a reasonable aspiration. And when borders are opened, you will probably see people migrating to successful areas - a bit like people in Australia tend to have gravitated towards capital cities rather than the Alburys and Kalgoorlies. I wouldn't presume it would be all one way traffic to Australia, though. I could imagine people wanting to go to Beijing, Shanghai, Singapore, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur and who knows where else. Maybe in 10 years time and with free trade, Delhi might be the boom city, or maybe Ha Noi, or maybe Pyongyang. Right now with free movement across the Tasman we're not seeing the depopulation of New Zealand. Free trade is good for building economies and that's good for everyone.

You need to try to equalise economies before you completely open borders but that's a reasonable aspiration. And when borders are opened, you will probably see people migrating to successful areas - a bit like people in Australia tend to have gravitated towards capital cities rather than the Alburys and Kalgoorlies. I wouldn't presume it would be all one way traffic to Australia, though. I could imagine people wanting to go to Beijing, Shanghai, Singapore, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur and who knows where else. Maybe in 10 years time and with free trade, Delhi might be the boom city, or maybe Ha Noi, or maybe Pyongyang. Right now with free movement across the Tasman we're not seeing the depopulation of New Zealand. Free trade is good for building economies and that's good for everyone.

Well look what the open borders is doing for Europe !

And equaliise economies , Germany and Greece ..northern and southern Europe ....its bonkers,absolute madness.

There will be riots on the streets ,come the summer.

In fact there was trouble in Athens yesterday ....its going to end in tears.

Its not preventing war ,its going to start one .

I love the theory ,so how many people from Brisbane for example ,would go to live in Delhi or shanghai or an other Asian city ?.....and how many would you have coming the other way ....you do the maths

What about the Aussie from Brisbane who goes to Delhi .

Will his family get the same range of schooling ,job conditions ,and healthcare ?...i don't think so .

That's why it don't work .

That's why Cameron is trying to stop the arse being ripped out of our social security system .

Its Tha stupid ,a man can come in from rumania for example ,and send all the social security benefits at u.k rates ,back to his family in rumania ...dear me .

That's just one of the things that goes on .

The e.u was set up as a common trading market ...period ...look at it now .

..... Yes I am aware the 'Great' part of Britain was not considered so great anymore and living conditions were torrid for many.

The 'Great' part of Britain is of course England, Scotland and Wales (although parts of each country - such as the Isle of Wight - are not actually part of the island). While I have to agree in the post war years it wasn't so great anymore why are you excluding the non 'Great' part of Britain (Northern Ireland) from your argument? Surely Northern Ireland wasn't so great either?

The 'Great' part of Britain is of course England, Scotland and Wales (although parts of each country - such as the Isle of Wight - are not actually part of the island). While I have to agree in the post war years it wasn't so great anymore why are you excluding the non 'Great' part of Britain (Northern Ireland) from your argument? Surely Northern Ireland wasn't so great either?

It doesn't really matter the countries. Just that collectively it wasn't very Great. Nor seen as such. I excluded nothing. Not sure why you mentioned NI at all. Unless to let us know you are aware of that countries position in the Union as well.

Well look what the open borders is doing for Europe !

And equaliise economies , Germany and Greece ..northern and southern Europe ....its bonkers,absolute madness.

There will be riots on the streets ,come the summer.

In fact there was trouble in Athens yesterday ....its going to end in tears.

Its not preventing war ,its going to start one .

Don't exaggerate. Nor believe too much the UK tabloids wish to convince you. If there are riots in the streets of Athens, they are a long time in coming, considering their economic meltdown. It was dumb to open the borders, but some late in the day policy changes are in force. Greece will receive I believe extra funding to cope and everything stumbles along somehow.

It doesn't really matter the countries. Just that collectively it wasn't very Great. Nor seen as such. I excluded nothing. Not sure why you mentioned NI at all. Unless to let us know you are aware of that countries position in the Union as well.

You remind of one time I was travelling in the US. A hotel clerk couldn't grasp how I was English when the only country name he recognised in my passport was 'Ireland'. I don't think your grasp of the geographical meaning of Great Britain is any better than his.

Don't exaggerate. Nor believe too much the UK tabloids wish to convince you. If there are riots in the streets of Athens, they are a long time in coming, considering their economic meltdown. It was dumb to open the borders, but some late in the day policy changes are in force. Greece will receive I believe extra funding to cope and everything stumbles along somehow.

Great solution ...greece receives extra funding ,on top of what it already cant pay back ....and then sometime in the future ...THEY HAVE TO PAY IT BACK

Greece is currently running a debt of something like 202% of gdp ...throwing even more debt at it ,wont solve it .

The thing that was really dumb ,was to allow Greece to join the euro in the first place .

Its like giving someone on 45k a million dollar home and unlimited credit .

The Greeks would have been much better off out of the euro .

Great solution ...greece receives extra funding ,on top of what it already cant pay back ....and then sometime in the future ...THEY HAVE TO PAY IT BACK

Greece is currently running a debt of something like 202% of gdp ...throwing even more debt at it ,wont solve it .

The thing that was really dumb ,was to allow Greece to join the euro in the first place .

The out campaign is currently leading on 45% ...with 19% undecided ....

Yeah ,but big business hasn't got in to gear for the "in" campaign yet ....all that cheap labour they require .

For some real deep reasons ,we have to vote OUT .

The **** in the middle east will kick off ,and we have to be allied with the u.s ,oz ,Canada ,n.z ...and not the European union .

To do that we have to be out of the e.u

You remind of one time I was travelling in the US. A hotel clerk couldn't grasp how I was English when the only country name he recognised in my passport was 'Ireland'. I don't think your grasp of the geographical meaning of Great Britain is any better than his.

I think (know) was grasp of geography and anything even slightly related, would far out score yours, going of previous ramblings.

Well no not exactly. At some point a lot of the creditors will be forced to take a hair cut. Just a question of what magnitude. Meanwhile the ordinary people that played little part in the excesses will continue to pay dearly, as the nation slides ever further into 'third world' type status and suffering that never should have been.

It appears a two edged sword if the Greeks would have been better off outside the Euro. At what value would a return to the drachma have been traded? The ability to entice money into Greece outside of cheap real estate would likely be limited. Greeks would be sitting on a currency so weak it would prove very expensive to exit the nation.

Of course there are positives with the Bank of Greece able to exert control over their economy, or what's left of it, once again, but at a considerable price.

Greece was by far not the only country unready for membership. The cooking of the books to enable this to happen should have resulted in severe penalties for the international banksters involved. Again they get off scot free.

Yeah ,but big business hasn't got in to gear for the "in" campaign yet ....all that cheap labour they require .

For some real deep reasons ,we have to vote OUT .

The **** in the middle east will kick off ,and we have to be allied with the u.s ,oz ,Canada ,n.z ...and not the European union .

To do that we have to be out of the e.u

Switzerland still has hundreds of thousands of foreign workers living/ driving in that country regardless that they are not part of EU.

No idea why you consider leaving EU and becoming 'allied' with the Anglophone countries will amount to anything. Britain is already aligned with USA what would change? May prove better to stay within EU if that is your major concern.

Sorry ,but I have to correct you lastonealive.

The in and out opinion crosses party lines .

We have just had labour mp Kate hoey ,who is very much "out ",and a tory mp who is very much "in".

William Hague ,and Jeremy corbyn are politically poles apart ,but are both eurosceptic .

I will be voting out ....not because of some rose tinted past memories of Britain ,but because .

1 - we are the worlds fifth largest economy

2- we export more to Europe,than we import ( they need us ,as much as we need them ).

3 - we need our indepence back to once again sit on the top table

4- this one size fits all set up.doesnt work ,lumping the likes of Greece and Germany together ,just doesn't work .

5- the meddling by Europe in everyone's affairs .

Its like buying your own house ,in a street and being told you have to paint your walls blue,and have white ceramic tiles on the floor ,because those are the rules ...?

Madness ...and it ain't working

OUT FOR ME

It would make sense to stay in, and split Europe into three different EU's.

Switzerland still has hundreds of thousands of foreign workers living/ driving in that country regardless that they are not part of EU.

No idea why you consider leaving EU and becoming 'allied' with the Anglophone countries will amount to anything. Britain is already aligned with USA what would change? May prove better to stay within EU if that is your major concern.

Yes ,and the people in Switzerland are on a rolling 1 year visa ...not permanent ...no work ..no visa

Can I just point out a couple of things, first The "Great" in the name simply refers to the larger land mass. it NEVER refers to any political, economic or military greatness" and second, if the U.K does leave the EU it doesn't mean trade or immigration from Europe or cooperation with the E.U will just end.

Can I just point out a couple of things, first The "Great" in the name simply refers to the larger land mass. it NEVER refers to any political, economic or military greatness" and second, if the U.K does leave the EU it doesn't mean trade or immigration from Europe or cooperation with the E.U will just end.

As in 'greater London'