What do you enjoy about life in the UK ?

bristolman

I have been back 6 months and i have 'fresh eyes' and a whole lotta love for things which I once didn't take note of, namely:

A sense of belonging

Humour

Stimulation- everywhere there are things to look at, things going on, even the buildings and whatnot

walking- i walk everywhere, as much as i can- and it's normal to see others walking too

shopping- I'm not a fan of the supermarket takeover but at the same time, i love the wide selection of food and the prices

local shops- i absolutely despised the 'mall' culture in Australia

the natural surroundings- it all feels right and normal- i could appreciate the aussie bush but i love brown soil, the sound of birds and oak trees and green grass

TV- i don't watch much but when i do, at least there's something palatable on

Proximity to things of interest- i was never a beach person deep down, but enjoy all the stuff i can do here

The weather- yes! THE WEATHER!!!!! not having to worry about flies, sunburn, heat exhaustion- whatever. This winter has been mild, but, overall, after a long absence from the UK, i have appreciated ALL of the seasons, it's been amazing!!! I have found it LESS limiting than the constant heat- there's been very few days that I have not been able to go for a long walk.

People- they get me, i get them, end of.

If you had asked me that 10 years ago, i would probably have cited that list as reasons i didn't like the UK. As we change, so does our perception of what we need and what makes a happy life. I loved Australia when I was younger, but now, with a family and enjoyment of simple things, I love the UK for what it offers. Who knows, when i'm retiring, I may be ready to bake myself alive in the southern sun again.....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wages are not better for all occupations these days. Also the cost of housing in most places will be higher than Cornwall, so even if you get a better wage, you may not get a better house. Not saying you shouldn't do it, just make sure your research is up to date.

Don't worry. We are at least a year off applying, lots of research to be done in that time. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wages are not better for all occupations these days. Also the cost of housing in most places will be higher than Cornwall, so even if you get a better wage, you may not get a better house. Not saying you shouldn't do it, just make sure your research is up to date.

Yes I have to agree, wages especially in real terms often aren't any better and it's an expensive place to live. Having said that I would never try to put people off just be aware.

A sunny day, sat in our "Locals" beer garden, watching the local cricket team play under the 300 year old oak tree ( where we had our wedding pics taken) Could not beat it, just wish itcouldhave happened more than 2 days a year.

I'm sure you could have made it to the local more than 2 days a year :)

Well yes we could all write a list of things we don't like whatever country we live in.

Iam just keeping it real Bristol .....avoiding all the bs .

Iam not trying to make out England is perfect ,and all in the garden is rosy.

But the previous post ,is just a few of the things I love

Iam just keeping it real Bristol .....avoiding all the bs .

Iam not trying to make out England is perfect ,and all in the garden is rosy.

But the previous post ,is just a few of the things I love

That's fair enough, as I said we could all list things we don't like about whichever country we are in but this is about the good things.

Absolutely, it's not perfect here but nowhere is but it's close enough for us.

For me there are many varied things.

The friendly people.

The countryside

The food

The diversity

The pubs of course

The multicultural society

The ease of travel to other places

I will add more later.

We are planning a European train journey next year during the summer. We haven't made much use of Europe with the kids up until now, but it's time to explore.

I've also started riding my mountain bike on the south downs. I haven't really been well enough the past few years, but I really enjoyed it last summer.

We also don't make use of all the free stuff in London. Trains are cheap as chips on the weekend. Pack lunch in a park.

But I hate the winter. Tend to hibernate.

I enjoyed just about everything the UK had to offer us

We spent lots of time in Europe loved driving and jumping on the ferry which was so easy to do even from Yorkshire (Its grim up north you know)

France, Belgium, Germany and Holland so many great times and memories

I loved the east coast in the UK Bridlington, Scarborough and so many more places but too many to mention

Now I'm on the east coast of Australia

Both perfect for me

I enjoyed just about everything the UK had to offer us

We spent lots of time in Europe loved driving and jumping on the ferry which was so easy to do even from Yorkshire (Its grim up north you know)

France, Belgium, Germany and Holland so many great times and memories

I loved the east coast in the UK Bridlington, Scarborough and so many more places but too many to mention

Now I'm on the east coast of Australia

Both perfect for me

Arent we lucky being able to enjoy both countries:cool:

we can flit between the two to our hearts content:wubclub:

Sadly these days I'm limited solely to holidays in the UK instead of actually living there, but it's always the same aspects of life there that make those trips so enjoyable;

1. Being able to spend meaningful face to face time with family and friends. SKYPE and Facetime are great, but nothing compares to watching the football with my Dad, a day at the cricket with the lads or just whiling away an evening with old friends over a few slow pints.

2. Having a sense of belonging. Of being able to pick up the paper and see football not AFL on the back page, of knowing who people are referring to without having to ask and then Google the answer! Of not feeling always like an outsider.

3. British sense of humour. Which is probably strongly linked to #2. That's not to say that Australians aren't funny. I'm sure they are, but I do think that the two nations have different types of humour. If you share a history and a cultural frame of reference with the people around you then you're a lot more likely to get the joke. :smile:

4. British weather. Yep, you read it correctly! I must be the one person in the world who enjoys frosty, foggy and snowy weather and will take low cloud over blazing sun any day of the week. Total weirdo I know! :wink:

5. British countryside. Australia's countryside is often striking and dramatic, but the softer contours of the Old Dart have a comforting familiarity that you only realise how much you've missed when you're reacquainted with them after time away.

6. Pubs. Often gets a mention I know, but the better ones are great, even if the less said about most city centre pubs the better. Low ceilings, log-fires, decent grub and (non-chilled) Ales and Bitters are wonderful things. If that describes your local then consider yourself blessed!

British weather. Yep, you read it correctly! I must be the one person in the world who enjoys frosty, foggy and snowy weather

.......I love this weather too..!

.......it was one of my must do's.......enjoy a frosty walk and ....see....my breath lol....!

.......I love the early morning frost.....the patterns on Windows and leaves....

......the fog.......swirling around and you can't see in front of you.....lovely to experience on a walk you know the way...

........watching out the windows with a toasty fire and cup of hot chocolate....

........it's this weather my best memories are made of....

Sadly these days I'm limited solely to holidays in the UK instead of actually living there, but it's always the same aspects of life there that make those trips so enjoyable;

1. Being able to spend meaningful face to face time with family and friends. SKYPE and Facetime are great, but nothing compares to watching the football with my Dad, a day at the cricket with the lads or just whiling away an evening with old friends over a few slow pints.

2. Having a sense of belonging. Of being able to pick up the paper and see football not AFL on the back page, of knowing who people are referring to without having to ask and then Google the answer! Of not feeling always like an outsider.

3. British sense of humour. Which is probably strongly linked to #2. That's not to say that Australians aren't funny. I'm sure they are, but I do think that the two nations have different types of humour. If you share a history and a cultural frame of reference with the people around you then you're a lot more likely to get the joke. :smile:

4. British weather. Yep, you read it correctly! I must be the one person in the world who enjoys frosty, foggy and snowy weather and will take low cloud over blazing sun any day of the week. Total weirdo I know! :wink:

5. British countryside. Australia's countryside is often striking and dramatic, but the softer contours of the Old Dart have a comforting familiarity that you only realise how much you've missed when you're reacquainted with them after time away.

6. Pubs. Often gets a mention I know, but the better ones are great, even if the less said about most city centre pubs the better. Low ceilings, log-fires, decent grub and (non-chilled) Ales and Bitters are wonderful things. If that describes your local then consider yourself blessed!

You above all other are living in the wrong place EW ....sorry but you are .

I mean ,I love England ,but not all of it

Iam about to get on the m6 ,on a Friday afternoon,in the rain ,enough said

Sadly these days I'm limited solely to holidays in the UK instead of actually living there, but it's always the same aspects of life there that make those trips so enjoyable;...........

4. British weather. Yep, you read it correctly! I must be the one person in the world who enjoys frosty, foggy and snowy weather and will take low cloud over blazing sun any day of the week. Total weirdo I know! :wink:!

British weather. Yep, you read it correctly! I must be the one person in the world who enjoys frosty, foggy and snowy weather

.......it was one of my must do's.......enjoy a frosty walk and ....see....my breath lol....!

.......I love the early morning frost.....the patterns on Windows and leaves....

......the fog.......swirling around and you can't see in front of you.....lovely to experience on a walk you know the way...

........watching out the windows with a toasty fire and cup of hot chocolate....

Maybe there’s a few of us in this discreet weather group then :cute:

I grew up in England but live in Wales and the place has stolen my heart, even the Welsh climate isn't a problem because it is part and parcel of the landscape. With a population the size of Birmingham and covering something like 8,000 square miles, Wales has three National Parks, a coastal path of more than 850 miles, amazing beaches including world renowned Rhossili Bay, around 100 castles, a passion for music, choirs and sport, a heart stirring national anthem, its own lyrical language (and for those not in the know, a cuddle is not a patch on a cwtch), and St David’s Day when all things Welsh are celebrated and the school run is full of children in national costume. Wales is home, and I'm glad it is. T x

I grew up in England but live in Wales and the place has stolen my heart, even the Welsh climate isn't a problem because it is part and parcel of the landscape. With a population the size of Birmingham and covering something like 8,000 square miles, Wales has three National Parks, a coastal path of more than 850 miles, amazing beaches including world renowned Rhossili Bay, around 100 castles, a passion for music, choirs and sport, a heart stirring national anthem, its own lyrical language (and for those not in the know, a cuddle is not a patch on a cwtch), and St David’s Day when all things Welsh are celebrated and the school run is full of children in national costume. Wales is home, and I'm glad it is. T x

Yep iam in the pro wales group ...driven most of it ....117 miles ...4 and a half hours ..mountains ...narrow roads..through the middle

..nth wales to Chepstow ...top to bottom in the snow ...clear blue sky ...not a cloud...beautiful country

I hope that you made an effort to learn to speak the language. :wink:

You above all other are living in the wrong place EW ....sorry but you are .

I mean ,I love England ,but not all of it

Iam about to get on the m6 ,on a Friday afternoon,in the rain ,enough said ?

Australia isn't so bad Bunbury, but it'll never be home to me. Being away from the UK has given me a greater appreciation of where I come from though. Hoping to book flights this afternoon for my next trip. :smile:

Wonderful evocative stuff Tink, you really do have a gift with words.

Australia isn't so bad Bunbury, but it'll never be home to me. Being away from the UK has given me a greater appreciation of where I come from though. Hoping to book flights this afternoon for my next trip. :smile:

Australia is a fantastic country ,no whinges or complaints from me ...loved it .

I miss it ...i miss my Aussie mates....hopefully catch up with them someday ...some of the best laughs I ever had ...mad

And I was FREE ,no responsibility,young ,and I didn't give a monkeys .

Now iam older and loaded with responsibilities

Who knows ,when my responsibilities lessen ?

Obviously this was specific to my circumstances but this is one thing I really liked.

I loved waking up on a Saturday morning ready for a quiet crisp walk down the quaintly cobbled Pink Lane:

Clayton_Pink_Lane.jpg

Source: http://www.timarchive.freeuk.com

And into the lovely neoclassical Newcastle Central station:

148.1.jpg

My excitement for places visited and places yet to come mixed well with the easy bustle of the familiar Newcastle concourse:

JS43388739.jpg

Source: http://i3.chroniclelive.co.uk/

Strolling aboard and revelling in the civility of food, drink and scenery brought directly to our table:

PRESS_GNER_Image1.jpg

433345_538f4a6e.jpg

Source: http://s0.geograph.org.uk

Pulling into another lovingly tended little station near the centre of the destination of the day:

ff5225a0de67c59c521ada27f472a085.jpg

Source: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com

And then a pleasant stroll up to the 900+ year old star attraction:

durham-cathedral-history.jpg

Source: http://www.destination360.com/contents/pictures/uk/durham-cathedral-history.jpg

Later home with maybe a quick debrief in Newcastle stations modest little attached bar:

Unknown-5.jpeg

Source: http://2.bp.blogspot.com

Back up a now more lively Pink Lane, past the town walls with a stop in at my local:

Bodega_1.jpg

And contentedly to bed with plans for the next day brewing....

Things that have become more important to me after visits back and I now miss and look forward to:

The weather. I am very much over the heat and really miss real winters and snow.

The countryside. I have always been a big outdoors person and find you can't beat the British countryside for walking and exploring.

Pubs.

Architecture. The feeling of old buildings and interesting buildings.

The access to Europe

the ability to pop to other cities for a day out.

The food.

Friends

I chose to return to Oz purely for my kids future, however that's the only reason.....I absolutely love being British,love everything about the place,even shitty weather I still finished the day happy.

I do miss everything you all do but I must crack on here.

I only wish I could bottle up and sell the British humour,should fly off the shelves here ?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I miss waking up, dragging my fatty out of bed, working hard for minimum pay, stopping off at asda's on the way home for milk and reduced bread, getting home, wrestling out of my wet clothes, slobbing on the sofa, watching eastenders, listening to the rain outside, drinking british tea and ordering a decent indian.

I miss the humour too. I'm gonna lose the plot if i see another "Barbie pic with shrimps on it" with the caption, "Only people in Oz will understand this"

God do I miss, "An englishman, irishman and scotsman walk into a bar" joke....

Primark!

Boots!

Charity shops!

I even miss the shitty customer service at McDonalds. :)

I miss waking up, dragging my fatty out of bed, working hard for minimum pay, stopping off at asda's on the way home for milk and reduced bread, getting home, wrestling out of my wet clothes, slobbing on the sofa, watching eastenders, listening to the rain outside, drinking british tea and ordering a decent indian.

I miss the humour too. I'm gonna lose the plot if i see another "Barbie pic with shrimps on it" with the caption, "Only people in Oz will understand this"

God do I miss, "An englishman, irishman and scotsman walk into a bar" joke....

Primark!

Boots!

Charity shops!

I even miss the shitty customer service at McDonalds. :)

That sounded pretty depressing!

Archived