Don't ever self doubt, you post here for a reason, you want to leave australia, go for it!

kiwiathome

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chortlepuss I wish we had not sold our house in the UK 10 years ago when we moved out to aussie. We could not decide whethere to sell it or rent it out, we chose to sell it and commit to life in Australia. After 10 years here we are going home to the UK. We have just sold our house here which we bought 8 years ago. We managed to sell for $40,000 more than we paid. We actually put in a pool which cost $50,00 so i guess we lost money. The housing market where we live in Aus is dire and will be returning home to the uk looking at the first time buyer housing market, especially with the weak aussie dollar. I guess at least we did not loose too much on our house and managed to sell in about 5 months. Houses around here are often in the market for a year plus...

It is always a gamble and such a shame houses in the UK have gone up so much in so many areas. It's not easy when the exchange rate works against you. The plus side is that you got to enjoy your time here in your own home which must have made a big difference to your time here.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy for those who are happy here, not disputing that it's a beautiful country, but it will never be 'home' for me. Several reasons I can't go home, spouse being Oz is one of them. I need a plan, I cannot live here forever for my sanity, which is already hanging by a thread after 5 years here.

Oh Sarah, I don't think it is about disputing the country by the time you come on here and state true feelings. I have never joined a forum in my life before this, still am actually not that interested in computers/technology.

I think we all agree by now, there are those here who "get Australia" and are happy. So that is great and we are all pleased for them. For some of us, this has not been the case.

It may all seem lost, but it is not. There are ways, and plans. And coming on this thread I think you get a lot of support from many individuals with different ideas, or different opinions, but I think there is always support.

You are not hanging on by a thread. Everything can be worked out. Many will come out to support you, and maybe others.

I felt similar to you a while ago, been here nearly 8 years. Lots of hurdles, many times felt alone and exhausted.

There is a solution and a happy ending in sight. I am on my way back to NZ, then eventually England. I am finally getting the best for me and my daughters, and my hubby is also getting on board and seeing a bigger picture.

For the first time in a long time, I don't put Australia down. And I get if it works for you, and you have all you need here and working, the rest of us should not put it down. For some it is the lucky place.

For me to now be able to say that, I know I am moving on to a better future, and strong in my own right. Did not work for me, but I get why it works for others.

Please talk to others around you, or if not possible, come back on and seek help. x :wubclub:

Happy for those who are happy here, not disputing that it's a beautiful country, but it will never be 'home' for me. Several reasons I can't go home, spouse being Oz is one of them. I need a plan, I cannot live here forever for my sanity, which is already hanging by a thread after 5 years here.

I'm so sorry to hear that @Sarahelle - most people would never think a "mixed marriage" between an Aussie and a Brit would cause problems, but it so often does. Is your oh open to the idea of moving to the UK or not?

Cheers NickyNook, you brought a smile to my face. Marissa, I am sorry if I caused any upset.

I never mean no harm, but I am all out to bring support to the underdog.

Maybe (very probably) I am tactless in this undertaking.

I never ever mean to bring hurt to anyone.

This is the only forum I belong to, and the only people I speak to. And yes, I know I am a blabbermouth.

I am going now to read Christmas stories to my 10 year old, her dad is in USA.

So forget my "wrong doings" can we all go off to spend extra time and love towards our kids. Maybe a better place.

Thanks Nicky, you made me feel better. :wink:

I am sorry Marissa, I still don't understand when I was rude or aggresive. I guess I don't belong on a forum.

Kiwi, if you can turn on the messaging system, I would be happy to discuss this off the forum. I have already explained several times, I DID NOT SAY YOU WERE RUDE OR AGGRESSIVE.

What you said was that OTHER people were rude or aggressive to you in their posts. So I removed those posts and your replies.

Edited by Marisawright

Thank you Marisa and Quoll. I appreciate the above.

I have been struggling here, my hubby goes away, my youngest (10) plays up and hassells me all the time, and I have to admit, only 3 to 4 nights a week I drink wine.

Then I come on here, and I get sad and angry. I know wine is not the answer, but I understand how some slip into the habit. I am from a health conscious, nutrition background,

so, I will never fully succumb. But I am lonely, and I fight against it.

I know I will be OK, because of my health/nutrition background and knowledge, and my dad was deemed as an alcoholic, kind of sad for me, because he was a national tennis player for NZ,

went to Wanganui Collegiate, (one of the best post schools in NZ) and was good looking, bright and charming. But my mum and him, not happy,and she kept him from us. Know matter what a

person does, we are all still people. Please stand by and help.

I am guess I am saying this now because I am going home to NZ. I am careful with alcohol, please all do so, never have touched drugs or smokes in my life. I am not quite sure why I am going

here, just please if this forum is your only help and outlet ask for help. We are all human, and lets ask for help or support.

If you please need help or someone to talk too, come on and seek. Oh, and I have only ever touched alcholol in the last 3 years. After our friend took quarter a million dollars from us. But, people, health

matter more.

I am sorry If I am blabbing to some. But Quoll kindly made me feel important. I don't get that a lot. But yes I am important. And so are many who want to post on here. Please come on, and ask these

many kind souls for help, or just simply share your story. Marisa, Sorry for the previous night. My hubby had been in USA for 5 days, 10 year old playing up, guess my patience had run out. There is always

a human side. I never intended to appear rude. Sorry. You moderators give up your time, and allow others to seek advice. So thank you.

Kiwi, I think it's perfectly understandable if you feel the need of a glass of wine now and then! The difficulty, as you are finding, is that when you're unhappy it can be difficult to stop at a glass or two! Just keep fixing your eyes on the light at the end of that tunnel, this will pass, you know you are on the right path now.

Thank you Marisa, yes I am fine. It actually makes me feel good to come on here and hopefully help someone. I am so looking forward to going back to work part time in a hospital in NZ, part time. Still supporting my airline hubby, and my

kids getting older.

I think the world has got tougher, with technology and terroisim, and as a mum, main care giver, it does scare me at times. Just wondering what any others think. x Kiwi.:yes:

Thank you Marisa, yes I am fine. It actually makes me feel good to come on here and hopefully help someone. I am so looking forward to going back to work part time in a hospital in NZ, part time. Still supporting my airline hubby, and my

kids getting older.

I think the world has got tougher, with technology and terroisim, and as a mum, main care giver, it does scare me at times. Just wondering what any others think. x Kiwi.:yes:

I don't think the world has got tougher or more scarey. I think back to when I lived in the UK during the time when the IRA was active, the chances of getting killed were actually far higher then! It's just that these days, every single terrorist act or crime is plastered all over the television and newspapers and internet, and they all make money by sensationalizing everything and deliberately exaggerating the danger.

Do you know, for instance, that child abuse has actually gone DOWN since we were kids - it's just that we never heard anything about it in the old days? The world is actually a much safer place than when we were young, it's just that the media didn't report things as much then.

Are you sure Marisa? I hope so. that is nice to hear. As my eldest daughter plans to go back to England in two years time. I love England, but for the first time I feel doubtful and worried for my kids. Yes media can be too much, but I am now doubting letting her go back to her home country. I don't know, was parenting easier in the past? Is terroissm our new battle? NZ seems very safe and far away at this stage. But a best parent supports, encourages, never clips wings, and I guesss hopes. I still feel very young, but hate the thought at soon I have to let my eldest daughter go home. :rolleyes:

Are you sure Marisa? I hope so. that is nice to hear. As my eldest daughter plans to go back to England in two years time. I love England, but for the first time I feel doubtful and worried for my kids. Yes media can be too much, but I am now doubting letting her go back to her home country. I don't know, was parenting easier in the past? Is terroissm our new battle? NZ seems very safe and far away at this stage. But a best parent supports, encourages, never clips wings, and I guesss hopes. I still feel very young, but hate the thought at soon I have to let my eldest daughter go home. :rolleyes:

I think it's natural to worry when all these events are so "in your face" these days - especially when you are far away from it, and can only judge by what you see on the TV.

As I'm living in the UK these days, it's easier for me to keep a sense of proportion. I would not go to Paris right now, and I will feel a little anxious when I go up to inner London next week - but if you look at where these terrorist events happen, they are all in the big capital cities because the terrorists want maximum exposure. So I feel completely safe travelling anywhere else in the UK, it is no different than when you lived here in years gone by. If your daughter is going to be living outside London then I would feel completely safe letting her come.

What you need to remember is you are far more likely to be hit by lightning twice than you being a victim of terrorism.

I also don't think the world generally is tougher or scarier, 30 or more years ago we wouldn't hear about every incident in every corner of the globe. Now it is piped into our houses via immediate news or the internet.

I studied law and included criminology, things like child abuse, particularly via strangers, has gone down significantly.

As for terrorism, as Marisa says, it was much worse in the 1980's with the IRA - my wife had her flat blown up because it was next to an army careers office.

Personally, I would have no hesitation in visiting London or Paris. What has happened could happen anywhere and the chances of being affected are miniscule. There are more people killed by lightning than by terrorism.