My travel thread

Quokka2005

Ahh new laptop, hence not many pics. But this is Innamincka from above - a population of about 15, I think. But soo busy with tourists flying in and out, and people passing through :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31926[/ATTACH]

Wow, that's proper Aussie lol. Where are the people visiting coming from/ going to??

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually flying tours doing the Burke and Wills track, visiting the Dig Tree and other landmarks from the daft explorer's adventure - if you're not familiar with Burke and Wills, google them! Other groups sometimes just stopped in for lunch on way to Lake Eyre. There's a few charity races etc that pass through the Strezlecki track that would stop in too @fifi69

Usually flying tours doing the Burke and Wills track, visiting the Dig Tree and other landmarks from the daft explorer's adventure - if you're not familiar with Burke and Wills, google them! Other groups sometimes just stopped in for lunch on way to Lake Eyre. There's a few charity races etc that pass through the Strezlecki track that would stop in too @fifi69

@kyliedonut

Why do you say that?

Cheers, Bobj.

@Bobj The Burke and Willsarrow-10x10.png story is immense, so many twists and turns to it, a successarrow-10x10.png in many ways, but there is a lot of debate about the whole thing..travelling the desert in the height of summer, dwindling supplies. Their story attracted so many people to us in Innamincka!

Many thanks for your reply, @kyliedonut.

It was a bad decision by the organisers to appoint Robert O'hara Burke as leader in the first place.

http://www.davidreilly.com/australian_explorers/burke/robert.htm

Even so, their trek was a most splendid accomplishment.

Cheers, Bobj.

I'm still not sleeping very well. Had 4 hours sleep. We've got a jobs and travel talk at 9.30 and then we go out on the boat at 1. Why do they have to make the talk so early lol

Jet lag will take you a week, maybe more to get over. It's 7 15 pm in UK now. You are up when you would be preparing for bed.

I've never been to Sydney (except the airport) but you need to keep in mind,everyone's experiences of places might be different than your own!I'm sure Quokka can make up her own mind where she wants to go,and places she would like to see.

That is true. I have already said that!

Since people gave me their advice (their experiences), which were different to mine. And mine were different to theirs since; I loved the places they told me to avoid.

But Quokka does seem to be relying quite heavily on peoples advice on here. So I was just commenting on the error I made on the past on my own travels.

For instance, Sydney has nice beaches but then, Queensland beaches are even better (and just wait till you see the beaches on the Whitsundays....)

So working on your principle Marisa:

Stacey just skip the Whitsundays beaches because they are just beaches; they are not as awe-inspiring like the Maldives!

:laugh:

P.S. I am joking obviously

It's my third week and I'm only now properly getting over the jetlag, I haven't really had a quiet day / night since I got here though which probably hasn't helped...

One plus if you do stay here for a few weeks will definitely be NYE, was incredible last year...

which hostel are you in?

Never to old to gather up the swag and disappear into the sunset.

Did that as often as possible in teens and 20's. Like my comforts now but look back with many happy memories on these days of freedom and adventure. Back then I had no interest in marriage but met my OH when I was 25 and we did a lot of backpacking together round Europe, Scandinavia and Australia before finally coming here to live.

SOMETHING NO-ONE HAS YET MENTIONED:

You may have to make your plans around the weather Stacey.

Remember that from about November to April, it is the Wet Season in most of North Australia.

And this includes tourist areas in Western Australia (Broome), Northern Territory (Darwin) and Queensland (Cairns).

Sometimes areas are completely cut-off and are impassable for weeks or months on end. There is also the possibility of cyclones during the wet. Plus the heat and humidity can be unbearable if you are not use to it. I personally like the wet; but I suspect you may not.

For example, Kakadu National Park is worth seeing in my opinion. But most of it will be closed for road access in the wet. You can fly over it, but this is very expensive.

Perth is a bloody long way from anywhere. It is one of the most isolated cities on earth. The nearest city to Perth is Adelaide which is 2,104km away. So it is all very well saying you will go to Perth now, but then where will you go after Perth?

The most likely backpacker route is up the west coast from Perth to Darwin. But this may be extremely hard by road (if not impossible), from November onwards because of the wet.

The other option is Perth to Melbourne, but it is a lot of ground to cover with limited work opportunities in between.

I suppose you could fly, but then you are missing out on some beautiful scenery, locations and experiences; which really defeats the whole purpose of travelling and seeing the country.

I think it makes more sense to stay in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane or Perth working and saving money whilst the wet season is on.

Between now and the end of the wet season around April, you could really build on that $7000 and maybe save another $5000 plus, towards your travels.

Then head up north when the wet season ends. Most people travel up from either Sydney or Perth and get jobs when they arrive in Darwin.

Alternatively you could travel around now until you exhaust your $7000, and then get a job to replenish.

What you really need to do is get a map of Australia, get a guidebook and start forming a loose plan in your mind of what you want to do and see. That way you can minimize wasting money and unnecessary criss-crossing the country and back tracking.

Just my opinion - I am sure most will disagree :laugh:

SOMETHING NO-ONE HAS YET MENTIONED:

You may have to make your plans around the weather Stacey.

Remember that from about November to April, it is the Wet Season in most of North Australia.

And this includes tourist areas in Western Australia (Broome), Northern Territory (Darwin) and Queensland (Cairns).

Sometimes areas are completely cut-off and are impassable for weeks or months on end. There is also the possibility of cyclones during the wet. Plus the heat and humidity can be unbearable if you are not use to it. I personally like the wet; but I suspect you may not.

For example, Kakadu National Park is worth seeing in my opinion. But most of it will be closed for road access in the wet. You can fly over it, but this is very expensive.

Perth is a bloody long way from anywhere. It is one of the most isolated cities on earth. The nearest city to Perth is Adelaide which is 2,104km away. So it is all very well saying you will go to Perth now, but then where will you go after Perth?

The most likely backpacker route is up the west coast from Perth to Darwin. But this may be extremely hard by road (if not impossible), from November onwards because of the wet.

The other option is Perth to Melbourne, but it is a lot of ground to cover with limited work opportunities in between.

I suppose you could fly, but then you are missing out on some beautiful scenery, locations and experiences; which really defeats the whole purpose of travelling and seeing the country.

I think it makes more sense to stay in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane or Perth working and saving money whilst the wet season is on.

Between now and the end of the wet season around April, you could really build on that $7000 and maybe save another $5000 plus, towards your travels.

Then head up north when the wet season ends. Most people travel up from either Sydney or Perth and get jobs when they arrive in Darwin.

Alternatively you could travel around now until you exhaust your $7000, and then get a job to replenish.

What you really need to do is get a map of Australia, get a guidebook and start forming a loose plan in your mind of what you want to do and see. That way you can minimize wasting money and unnecessary criss-crossing the country and back tracking.

Just my opinion - I am sure most will disagree [emoji23]

Sounds like a good idea to stay here in Sydney for six months.

Did that as often as possible in teens and 20's. Like my comforts now but look back with many happy memories on these days of freedom and adventure. Back then I had no interest in marriage but met my OH when I was 25 and we did a lot of backpacking together round Europe, Scandinavia and Australia before finally coming here to live.

Difference being now you have a home or base to return to. That in itself is a comfort to know. Still no excuse to throw caution to the wind and get out there. Perhaps you can afford to do it in a little more style. (no more dorms)

I suspect there still must be places you'd like to cover in the world? Asia, Africa, a return to WA even?

Is $7,000 all Stacey has to play with? Not a lot. I'd be looking for a job in Sydney if that was the case and get a base for summer before moving up the coast in half a year hopefully with a replenished kitty. Although not sure how much one could actually save in Sydney to be honest. At least she'd likely enjoy her time and discover what Australia's biggest and most happening city has to offer.

Perhaps a remote location could come later as a contrast such as a road house or pub? She really must get up to FNQ, regardless of whether she misses WA IMO. I suppose that depends if or not she does a second year. Then the whole of Australia can be easily covered. It's big but not as hard to do again IMO, as some may suggest.

I'm not luckily (or unluckily) depending on how you view it, I was offered a job before I got here so I've managed to rent a flat in North Sydney...

you don't need a flat mate do you.. I think I'm moving hostels. I'm not that keen on this one and most of my group are leaving on money to go do some surf camp thing. So if they'll refund me I'm going to go to my original choice which is smaller and cheaper

Is $7,000 all Stacey has to play with? Not a lot. I'd be looking for a job in Sydney if that was the case and get a base for summer before moving up the coast in half a year hopefully with a replenished kitty. Although not sure how much one could actually save in Sydney to be honest. At least she'd likely enjoy her time and discover what Australia's biggest and most happening city has to offer.

Perhaps a remote location could come later as a contrast such as a road house or pub? She really must get up to FNQ, regardless of whether she misses WA IMO. I suppose that depends if or not she does a second year. Then the whole of Australia can be easily covered. It's big but not as hard to do again IMO, as some may suggest.

yep that's all I have. It's still more than some people though. I can't understand why some come with like £800. I'm really not keen on Sydney so far (from what I've been to so far which I suppose actually isn't much). I liked coogee because it was relaxed and I'm going to the harbour very soon and I'll probably like that

Well I went to a jobs and travel talk in the hostel today which confused me even more haha. They basically said get out of Sydney because it's far too expensive and so much competition for jobs. They were also saying why do people want to come over and work straight away when you've just spent 6 months or a year working to save up. But I guess that's them trying to sell tours etc