Jeremy Corbyn, thoughts?

Harpodom

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to God Save The Queen died not move me the way I feel listening to say La Marseillaise (which always makes me think of 1967) but that does not mean I want to replace it. Tearing things up and starting again for what benefit? Turf out ten centuries of development for a spurious notion of Republican equality, supposedly but erroneously saving money.

For a similar reason New Zealand is about to change their flag. Or Australia voted to change anthems some decades ago. Or South Africa took on a new anthem with a few lines of the old included. Or that Japan no longer considers their emperor a direct descendant from God. Or a million other things.

The French hymn is full of blood thirsty words but yes not hard to associate it with their revolution and the sport of the time head chopping of their nobles. The German hymn is great in words and sounds. Perhaps they can help out with the words for a new British national hymn. After all the original music from the present awful song (fine perhaps in Queen Victoria's day) was an original German composition if I recall my history correctly.Nothing to do with saving money. Keep the royalty by all means. Just create a hymn that reflects the nation not a person.

For a similar reason New Zealand is about to change their flag. Or Australia voted to change anthems some decades ago. Or South Africa took on a new anthem with a few lines of the old included. Or that Japan no longer considers their emperor a direct descendant from God. Or a million other things.

The French hymn is full of blood thirsty words but yes not hard to associate it with their revolution and the sport of the time head chopping of their nobles. The German hymn is great in words and sounds. Perhaps they can help out with the words for a new British national hymn. After all the original music from the present awful song (fine perhaps in Queen Victoria's day) was an original German composition if I recall my history correctly.Nothing to do with saving money. Keep the royalty by all means. Just create a hymn that reflects the nation not a person.

I cannot find anything to indicate that the British National Anthem was a German composition. It appears to have originated in London around 1745. Anyway yes it would be nice to change it, indeed for something that reflects the nation not one person, also it is a bit dreary and not everyone believes in God either.

That does tend to be the nature of classic. Easily remedied though of course by turning the dial.

I became bored after half a dozen songs. The quandary for me is that if I listen to JJJ, which I often like listening to, they rarely play old songs, or what I like to call 'old.'. On the other hand if I listen to a classic rock station, then they don't play any new songs, and often, the classic songs they do play, I don't like. There is always You Tube, and I've noticed that as I play more and more different artists, You Tube builds up play lists and suggests other artists I might like.

I cannot find anything to indicate that the British National Anthem was a German composition. It appears to have originated in London around 1745. Anyway yes it would be nice to change it, indeed for something that reflects the nation not one person, also it is a bit dreary and not everyone believes in God either.

No its not a German composition.

I became bored after half a dozen songs. The quandary for me is that if I listen to JJJ, which I often like listening to, they rarely play old songs, or what I like to call 'old.'. On the other hand if I listen to a classic rock station, then they don't play any new songs, and often, the classic songs they do play, I don't like. There is always You Tube, and I've noticed that as I play more and more different artists, You Tube builds up play lists and suggests other artists I might like.

I don't even think it necessary the song. It is very much the song in the time and what was happening on the streets, in politics, the mindset being vastly different naturally.

After just a week as leader it has been shown that 30% of Labour voters wouldn't vote for Labour with him as leader and 20% would vote Conservative. Just imagine after he has been leader for a year lol

Shown by who? He's done better than most expectations consideration the weight of the establishment is down on him.

Are Jeremy Corbyn's policies really more 'extreme' than those of the 'centrist' Tory government?

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/are-jeremy-corbyns-policies-really-more-extreme-than-those-of-the-centrist-tory-government-10511659.html

'Corbyn’s willingness to appear on platforms with those linked to terrorist organisations fuel his image as an extremist. Yet the principle of talking to terrorists is mainstream. The former head of Tony Blair’s office, Jonathan Powell, wrote an illuminating book on the theme, Talking to Terrorists: How to End Armed Conflict. Imagine the outrage if Corbyn published a book with that title. I am not comparing Powell’s heroic, tireless negotiations that helped to bring about the still fragile political settlement in Northern Ireland with Corbyn’s conduct from the relatively undemanding safety of the backbenches. But when Corbyn argues that it is necessary sometimes to talk to terrorists all hell breaks loose because we are being conditioned to view him solely and simplistically as “extreme”.

Reflect also on Corbyn’s other policy positions. For good or bad he opposes the renewal of Trident, but so does the former Conservative Defence Secretary Michael Portillo. He opposes air strikes on Syria, but so does the former Tory leadership candidate David Davis. Corbyn wants to renationalise the railways, a mainstream view in much of Europe.'

Are Jeremy Corbyn's policies really more 'extreme' than those of the 'centrist' Tory government?

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/are-jeremy-corbyns-policies-really-more-extreme-than-those-of-the-centrist-tory-government-10511659.html

'Corbyn’s willingness to appear on platforms with those linked to terrorist organisations fuel his image as an extremist. Yet the principle of talking to terrorists is mainstream. The former head of Tony Blair’s office, Jonathan Powell, wrote an illuminating book on the theme, Talking to Terrorists: How to End Armed Conflict. Imagine the outrage if Corbyn published a book with that title. I am not comparing Powell’s heroic, tireless negotiations that helped to bring about the still fragile political settlement in Northern Ireland with Corbyn’s conduct from the relatively undemanding safety of the backbenches. But when Corbyn argues that it is necessary sometimes to talk to terrorists all hell breaks loose because we are being conditioned to view him solely and simplistically as “extreme”.

Reflect also on Corbyn’s other policy positions. For good or bad he opposes the renewal of Trident, but so does the former Conservative Defence Secretary Michael Portillo. He opposes air strikes on Syria, but so does the former Tory leadership candidate David Davis. Corbyn wants to renationalise the railways, a mainstream view in much of Europe.'

Often, we do have to 'talk to terrorists' but when Corbyn talked the IRA was he being a visionary, or was he doing what those on the left often seem to do, i.e. appear to oppose anything pro-British? So, Falkland Islands? Give it to Argentina. It's theirs. Trident? Get rid of it. We don't have to wait until Russia gets rid of its nuclear arms. We should do it first as a gesture of good faith.

Often, we do have to 'talk to terrorists' but when Corbyn talked the IRA was he being a visionary, or was he doing what those on the left often seem to do, i.e. appear to oppose anything pro-British? So, Falkland Islands? Give it to Argentina. It's theirs. Trident? Get rid of it. We don't have to wait until Russia gets rid of its nuclear arms. We should do it first as a gesture of good faith.

Nothing wrong with searching for solutions to difficult problems by speaking to who ever required. A lot goes on behind the scenes anyway that is not brought to public attention. If there hadn't been armed conflict over the Falklands, few would have bothered anyway. Gibraltar was suggested as joint rule with Spain.

Can to cost of Trident warrant its continuation? Does it really in anyway influence the vastly superior armed Russia in any way?