Jeremy Corbyn, thoughts?

Harpodom

Never realised before that left leaning people tend to be IRA sympathisers.

I suspect it is more that left leaning people tend to oppose colonialism, and that means they tend to have sympathy for the Republican cause. Some of them may extend this to support for paramilitary organisations that are trying to overcome a colonial legacy, but I suspect in some cases this is a case of my enemy's enemy must be my friend.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats alright, I'm sure those same people hold you with just as much disregard after your comments about a plane crash in Indonesia being karma. I also seem to remember a dodgy comment about Hiroshima

Plus there was the bit about wanting to perv at women breastfeeding.

Funny this world of justification.

A murderer is okay because someone else is a worse murderer.

Presumably a paedophile is okay because Jimmy Savile was a worse paeophile.

What the hell has happened to people that think like this ?

Don't tell me you support the IRA too Stacey ?

If so I wonder if you really know what atrocities they have committed.

I never said anything about supporting the IRA. All I said was some of your comments are hardly angelic so don't try and stick the boot into other people. Your comment about a plane crashing being good actually almost made me sick. The holier than thou act is when it suits you in these sorts of threads

No I'm not quoting you but saying that it doesn't seem so significant to ours or saying that the Japanese are evil bastards (in another thread) doesn't exactly scream out that you are against cold blooded murder. It says to me that it can be excused the other way when it suits people. If a bomb that was meant for Al qaeda or Isis hit a hospital for example, I wouldn't be saying ah well they just got caught up in it

Cant see how anybody can support what the IRA carried out

Quinkla do you agree with what they did ? straight answer yes or no ,did you ever see the cold blooded murder played out on live tv where 2 undercover soldiers were dragged out of their car and executed then stripped bare

Has Gerry Adams sworn his allegiance to the queen for him to take his seat in parliament as if I remember correctly when first elected he refused too ?

Cant see how anybody can support what the IRA carried out

Well, some people do. The first part of the peace process was accepting that and then dealing with it.

Quinkla do you agree with what they did ?

I see the Republican Movement as a whole. There were many things in the armed struggle that I did not support and, I suspect, the leadership themselves do not support with the benefit of hindsight. This would include the Disappeared, where those involved have gone to great lengths to try to locate the bodies to bring closure; and would include indiscriminate bombing of civilians which was abhorrent, counter-productive and stopped. I regret that young soldiers and paramilitaries died, particularly once it became clear to both sides that arms were not going to bring victory, but I can see how and why it came about. Armed struggle is always regrettable, but sometimes it is necessary.

did you ever see the cold blooded murder played out on live tv where 2 undercover soldiers were dragged out of their car and executed then stripped bare

Yes. But you have to understand the context. These two soldiers thought it would be jolly japes to go and watch an IRA funeral in West Belfast. There is no other explanation for what they did - Andersonstown Road (the Upper Falls) is not on the way to anywhere, and reportedly the soldiers ignored stewards' attempts to divert them away from the funeral. Sensitivities were high since loyalist paramilitaries (specifically Michael Stone) had fired at a funeral in Milltown cemetery earlier that week. When the soldiers were spotted and surrounded, one of them fired his gun. That was a bad move - exactly what Stone had done. So it is unsurprising that the soldiers were attacked. As I said above, it is regrettable. But it is also understandable and would have been avoidable.

Has Gerry Adams sworn his allegiance to the queen for him to take his seat in parliament

No. Part of the Peace Process was an agreement that the Sinn Fein MPs could get office accommodation and allowances to represent their constituents without having to swear allegiance to the Queen or take their seats. Gerry Adams no longer holds elected office in Northern Ireland and is the TD for Louth. He was succeeded as MP for West Belfast by Paul Maskey who has also not sworn allegiance to the Queen. However, Mr Adams has shaken hands with Prince Charles and his Sinn Fein colleague, Martin McGuinness, has shaken hands with the Queen. These handshakes speak volumes for the courage and magnanimity of both the Sinn Fein representatives and the British royals.

You are truly sick if you defend them.

This group who abduct and murdered housewives and other innocent people.

Adams himself was arrested over one of these murders but charges not proceeded with at this stage due to lack of evidence.

But he was in the IRA up to his neck.

How can you possibly defend such evil murderers ?

Feigned outrage quite obviously. Or are you suggesting the British government as the monarchy are complacent? Silly me thinking terrorists were kept in prison for public safety , not hob knobbing it with royalty and the part of the establishment.

You obviously have insight into the inner workings of the former IRA. I can only wonder why you didn't bring this 'evidence' to the attention of authorities, during the dark days? Quite a serious offense with holding information that you and few others had access to.

How can you possibly live with yourself knowing that?

I suspect it is more that left leaning people tend to oppose colonialism, and that means they tend to have sympathy for the Republican cause. Some of them may extend this to support for paramilitary organisations that are trying to overcome a colonial legacy, but I suspect in some cases this is a case of my enemy's enemy must be my friend.

No one nail is suitable for all occasions.

Funny this world of justification.

A murderer is okay because someone else is a worse murderer.

Presumably a paedophile is okay because Jimmy Savile was a worse paeophile.

What the hell has happened to people that think like this ?

Don't tell me you support the IRA too Stacey ?

If so I wonder if you really know what atrocities they have committed.

I wonder if you know anything very much about the entire topic. Irish history certainly a subject where" Must Improve Knowledge "in large red letters, may well apply before displaying ignorance and digging an ever deeper hole.

Unless to crawl into and hide out of embarrassment of course.

I never said anything about supporting the IRA. All I said was some of your comments are hardly angelic so don't try and stick the boot into other people. Your comment about a plane crashing being good actually almost made me sick. The holier than thou act is when it suits you in these sorts of threads

Nothing very holly about said poster. Some of his 'fast and furious posters ' are close enough to as sick as they come and allowable.

It was always the dream of the IRA to assassinate the Queen Mother because that would have caused the greatest amount of revulsion and horror in the British people.

Thank God they were never able to. Of course they were successful in murdering Mountbatten.

You know that the article is alleging links between this plot and the Real IRA and Continuity IRA - but Gerry Adams and Sinn Fein are associated with the Provisional IRA. The RIRA and CIRA are tiny splinter groups who were opposed to the Peace Process.

What an egregious comment. Do you truly classify the Provisional IRA as "fighter(s) of freedom"(sic)? Please tell what freedom they were fighting for? The right to vote? The right to work? The right to practice religious beliefs? The right to healthcare and education? The right of free movement? All of this they already had. So, you're effectively justifying this "fighting for freedom" based on a minority of people wanting the six counties of Northern Ireland to be governed from Dublin not Westminster. And you're excusing the bombings, the executions of the police and political opponents, the punishment beatings and so on as part of this struggle for freedom. How risible!

It may have escaped your attention, but the UK is not some banana republic or third world dictatorship. We have a democratic process, which despite being far from perfect, works. If you oppose something you have the right to protest, to write what you like, to stand for election, to petition for change. Yet Gerry Adams, Martin McGuinness and their friends didn't believe in democracy, preferring instead to commit heinous crimes hidden behind some half baked religious and political ideals. That's terrorism, plain and simple. Inexcusable and indefensible.

Conversely, the RUC and British Army in Northern Ireland operated under a code of regulation, a legitimate chain of command from the government downwards and operated in a peace keeping role. Huge difference to the IRA.

And in the middle of this we have some bearded idiot from Islington North sucking up to Sinn Fein, attending appreciation rallies for Bobby Sands, publicly meeting with Gerry Adams in weeks after the IRA had attempted to kill the Prime Minister and Cabinet in the Brighton bombing and editing a Labour newsletter which praised the attacks and regretted that they hadn't caused more death.

Some "freedom fighters" indeed.

Your comments on the Belgrano sinking are completely out of context. This was not an act of terrorism. The Argentinians had taken a British Overseas Territory by force, against the wishes of the islanders and despite having little tangible claim to them except their proximity to mainland Argentina. The Argentines had been previously made aware that the 200 mile exclusion zone would not be considered the limit of activity by the RN. At the time of the sinking, the Argentines were planning an all out assault on the Task Force which the sinking of the Belgrano and subsequent retreat of the Argentine Navy, prevented, saving thousands of British (and Argentinian) lives. It's also a subject of conjecture that the Belgrano was heading back to port. Although it was sunk outside the exclusion zone, heading away from the Falklands it is likely that this was as part of a manoeuver to outflank the Task Force.

It's very easy to be wise after the event, but given the opportunity and potential consequences of not taking it, Mrs Thatcher was 100% correct to order HMS Conqueror to sink the Belgrano. It's absolutely irrelevant what the families of the 300 odd sailors may claim 33 years later.

I don't propose to do the work for you and give to a leg up on Irish politics, including Northern Ireland but read up a bit yourself and return with a sensible comment rather than inform me that UK is not a banana republic. Well no but only because its too darn cold to grow bananas.

Belgrano out of context? Really? Were you still in primary education then? All of nine years old, if 73 was indeed your year of birth. So the sinking of a vessel without a declaration of war, or warning. A vessel steaming out of exclusive zone towards home and not a threat. I wonder what you would call that?

No she wasn't right. Unless of course your a war monger and believe getting stuck in. The wonders of Google hey.