Jeremy Corbyn, thoughts?

Harpodom

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerusalem would probably be my choice, although only for England obviously. But really I'd find it embarrassing to sing God Save the Queen.

Unsurprising as you are embarrassed by most aspects of English history, but history (and tradition) are not something to change. They are things to be celebrated, like Easter and Bonfire Night and Xmas Day and of course God Save The Queen.

Unsurprising as you are embarrassed by most aspects of English history, but history (and tradition) are not something to change. They are things to be celebrated, like Easter and Bonfire Night and Xmas Day and of course God Save The Queen.

The great thing is that it is the history and pageantry that makes the UK such a popular country to visit, they come to see all the things so many take for granted or would love to get rid of.

The great thing is that it is the history and pageantry that makes the UK such a popular country to visit, they come to see all the things so many take for granted or would love to get rid of.

Yes, you can't help but notice that the countries that are most fervently republican are also the ones that most fervently love visiting Britain, or welcoming royalty to their countries!?

Whether you like his policies or not, Jeremy Corbyn seems very different from the usual self promoting politician. Personally I wouldn’t assume he is disrespectful by virtue of what he wears or does/ doesn’t sing….any more than I would believe a suited and booted, well trained in the art of self promotion, media savvy politician was genuine. It’s all window dressing. Look a bit deeper and don’t believe everything you read, seems a sensible approach to me. T x

Well, it seems Mr Corbyn has appointed Lord Watson to a frontbench role speaking on education. I'd like to see even his most ardent supporters try to defend that.

For those who don't remember, Lord Watson was a former government minister who went to the Scottish Parliamentarian of the Year Awards 2004, got drunk and tried to set the hotel on fire. He was jailed for 16 months for wilful fire raising.

Yes, because that is a matter of personal choice. In this case, it looked like Mr Corbyn was being petulant and wearing a tie under sufferance. That's kinda what you might expect from a sixth former at a school speech day, but not the Leader of the Opposition at a church service.

I don't get it. He like me quite possibly detests ties. He was wearing one and that's it. Rest purely tabloid speculation.

I don't get it. He like me quite possibly detests ties. He was wearing one and that's it. Rest purely tabloid speculation.

Well, he seemed to overcome his possible detestation in time for Prime Minister's Questions. I suspect it is a case of misjudgement rather than some kind of psycho-medical issue.

It is but I hardly think the tourists would cease visiting if it all ceased. A few less tourists wouldn't even go amiss in London some may well say.

I think the times when you were young, teens to late 20's, no worries, plenty of spare cash, holidays abroad with mates, girls, booze, are going to be remembered by anyone as brilliant, no matter when you grew up.

It was not the state of being young that was being commented on. That goes without saying. It was the era.

Well, it seems Mr Corbyn has appointed Lord Watson to a frontbench role speaking on education. I'd like to see even his most ardent supporters try to defend that.

For those who don't remember, Lord Watson was a former government minister who went to the Scottish Parliamentarian of the Year Awards 2004, got drunk and tried to set the hotel on fire. He was jailed for 16 months for wilful fire raising.

I can remember someone telling me about that guy. So now the penny has dropped about all the prodigy fire starter song jokes today

The 80s were brilliant, never out of work, got married, rode motorbikes, went to more concerts than I can remember, the music was fantastic everything from Bon Jovi to Pink Floyd, the Eagles, Motorhead, Def Leppard, Meatloaf and endless others. It is definitely the decade that I look back on with the most fondness, what I remember of them anyway lol. It was all about having a good time, going down the pub, going to live music gigs, riding bikes every chance we had. Fanbloodytastic.

80's brilliant? You do realise you are quoting me all 60 and 70's formulated bands. I doubt any decade mattered when it came to riding motor bikes. You were obviously too young to recall much of the 70's I'd say. The feeling in the air was very different as the 80's wore on. Not good at all. Human nature changed for the worse. But then if the New Romantics was your choice of music I can see the attraction of the decade I suppose.

What a ridiculous comment. What I said was I dislike intensely the present national hymn. Nothing to do with history to which I am a keen student and fan.

i think they get up at 6am to do some exercise and then at night time it's a bit of wife swapping by the sounds of it :laugh:

I suspect they are too exhausted after all that early morning exercise to desire further nocturnal activity. (Or fretting over how much their pile of brick has declined over the course of the day.)But Perth was at one time known to be a little that way. Whatever happened to the good 'old days'.

80's brilliant? You do realise you are quoting me all 60 and 70's formulated bands. I doubt any decade mattered when it came to riding motor bikes. You were obviously too young to recall much of the 70's I'd say. The feeling in the air was very different as the 80's wore on. Not good at all. Human nature changed for the worse. But then if the New Romantics was your choice of music I can see the attraction of the decade I suppose.

I just tuned into 977 Classic Rock Miami via my Simple Radio app. Beatles, Dylan, Tom Petty, Cars so far. Only trouble with classic rock is no new music.

What a ridiculous comment. What I said was I dislike intensely the present national hymn. Nothing to do with history to which I am a keen student and fan.

Listening to God Save The Queen died not move me the way I feel listening to say La Marseillaise (which always makes me think of 1967) but that does not mean I want to replace it. Tearing things up and starting again for what benefit? Turf out ten centuries of development for a spurious notion of Republican equality, supposedly but erroneously saving money.