Slowly getting there

Guest51810

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You won't have any real worries in OZ. Stacey. I'm not saying there are no negatives. You might be homesick, and have ups and downs, but there are thousands, maybe tens of thousands of young people from UK, Europe, USA, Canads, on WHV or 457.

Girl who worked in my Cafe will be arriving back in UK after year here as you leave. She posted on FB, great year here, glad to get home soon. The odds are heavily on your favour that you and others posting here will have same positive experience.

If you feel homesick remember it's just a holiday. Anyway you have lived away from home before on Channel Islands.

If the odds were not in your favour, nobody would be coming here! I came on my WHV 37 years ago remember, and I could survive and thrive, you certainly can!

Going to be hot this weekend in Sydney which is basically how it will be for next six months.

I'll be sad at leaving my job too. My last day will be helping out in the cafe rather than working in the unit so that will be extra sad because they are such a great team. One of them is like my second mum lol she was fussing over me travelling alone. Tried to tell her I was in a travel group for the first week although I'll be alone in Singapore

Hope the smokes cleared up in Singapore Stacey. Saw a picture of it a couple of days ago and everyone was wearing masks.

There is such a thing as being too organised. I expect that being the fault of fairly recent social media. Whatever happened to the 'just arriving' perhaps with a guide book and take it as it happens?

Yes I looked out from the ship at Freemantle and thought "where's the bloody opera house?"

• 3 weeks later...
It wasn't something I thought about. I'm really screwed if it's still like that in April. I don't think I'd be able to change my Travel plans. There's a part of me that just wishes I had booked the flight straight to Australia

Did you not get a flexi airline ticket?

I would double check if I were you. Sometimes for a fee you can make changes.

Most airlines offer Global Flexis on long haul destinations.

STA Travel offers a really good one for backpackers.

http://www.statravel.co.nz/multiflex-pass.htm

http://www.statravel.co.uk/find_store.htm?WT.ac=topheader-findstore

Obviously too late for you now; as you have your ticket. But I would still double check just in case, as they would allow you to change your travel plans if need be.

I made six changes in all. First four were free flight changes and two more thereafter that I had to pay for (back then it cost me 27 pounds sterling each for the two additional changes).

If you are worried about smoke in Asia, just buy a surgical face mask and use that on your travels - many Asians use them – even when it is not smoky.

Edited by jumpingjellybean
Add Link

Did you not get a flexi airline ticket?

I would double check if I were you. Sometimes for a fee you can make changes.

Most airlines offer Global Flexis on long haul destinations.

STA Travel offers a really good one for backpackers.

http://www.statravel.co.nz/multiflex-pass.htm

http://www.statravel.co.uk/find_store.htm?WT.ac=topheader-findstore

Obviously too late for you now; as you have your ticket. But I would still double check just in case, as they would allow you to change your travel plans if need be.

I made six changes in all. First four were free flight changes and two more thereafter that I had to pay for (back then it cost me 27 pounds sterling each for the two additional changes).

If you are worried about smoke in Asia, just buy a surgical face mask and use that on your travels - many Asians use them – even when it is not smoky.

he emailed me the other day saying the haze was improving but if I wanted he could look at me going straight to Sydney. But there would be charges and I'd also lose most of my money on my hostel too. So I won't bother. I'll just deal with it and if it's worse than I think I'll try stay inside

Can people start shouting out stuff that I might not have thought of or bought yet that I'm definitely going to need? I am a bimbo after all! :laugh: I'm not getting too stressed about forgetting clothes because I know I can get stuff out there but it's incase there's other things I haven't thought about. Which is very likely

Can people start shouting out stuff that I might not have thought of or bought yet that I'm definitely going to need? I am a bimbo after all! :laugh: I'm not getting too stressed about forgetting clothes because I know I can get stuff out there but it's incase there's other things I haven't thought about. Which is very likely

Any medication you might need? and if you do then prescriptions or note from Dr. if anything prescribed.

You can buy just about everything here

I wouldn't panic too much

I guess the more you bring the more you have to carry around with you

So fill your bag and see if you have room for anything else

If you do have the fill it lol

i just feel like there's bound to be little things that I forget. Someone mentioned locks and things like that. Also a hat - I'll need one but I don't even like hats! At the most I'd wear a baseball cap but I should get a wide brimmed one. Could wear my cork one I suppose haha

well I booked it in July, apologies for not having the money to just jump on a plane on a few days notice. If I'm boring you then you don't need to read it.

Ignore him, I am trying to remember if he has ever said anything positive or helpful in a post.

Some of us have had daughter's setting off on overseas trips, and are happy to pass on tips.