Slowly getting there

Guest51810

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to decide wether to get a go pro or not to capture my time over there

I don't know what a "Go Pro" is!? I'll Google it. My suggestion is to buy a small notebook, good quality one too, not El cheapo, in fact buy two. I don't like Moleskine but they are sort I mean. Yes I know you can email and update on Facebook but there's a permanence I like about a notebook. I write mine wherever I am, pub, Cafe, bus, in bed.

I use smart phone as camera.

Just an idea Stacey:

In regards to your work colleague, nanna and mum, being nervous about you traveling alone, you may want to put some "Ground Rules" in place:

1) Don't get drunk in the company of strangers

2) Don't hitchhike

3) Do be economical with the truth (i.e.) be wary about telling too much to strangers.

For example of # 3: when I was traveling alone in Asia I brought a plain cheap wedding ring to wear, and pretended I was meeting up with my husband en-route, since females travelling alone are sometimes frowned upon by some of the conservative Muslim countries. That ruse worked extremely well.

These were my rules when travelling alone. I broke the first two a couple of times and paid the price. The worst being fighting off an attempted rape in Cairns. Technically it was rape since he penetrated without permission, but I manged to fight him off and talk myself out of it proceeding any further.

Oh wow I can't believe the last part :( That's so horrible!!! Some people are total animals.

I definitely will never hitchhike. I see some backpackers saying how good it is etc but I'd never do it. I had to do it once as an emergency but it was with a family with kids and I was with my friend too. I do get drunk sometimes but I don't tend to get that bad that I don't know what I'm doing or anything like that. I usually always know my limits. Unless my friends are giving me doubles and I think they are singles!!! I got in a total state when I was 16 because of that

Oh wow I can't believe the last part :( That's so horrible!!!

Yes it wasn't fun.

Lucky I was sober enough to put up a good fight.

But I learnt a valuable lesson that day - don't break ground rule # 1.

And as such I have never broken it since.

I have hitchhiked a few times. Once it was fun. The other times not so much. I would NOT recommend it.

Well I just got paid. I think I've either been absolutely hammered by tax or they've mucked up and not paid the second time sheet that I've handed in. Should find out tomorrow. I'll have more soon too between my pension refund and my tax refund (if that ever gets sorted!). then people are saying they are sending Christmas money but I'll tell them to leave it unless I really need it

I know haha. I'll probably faint when I see the harbour [emoji23] it'll be surreal.

Im trying to stop myself worrying about jobs and money

None of that really matters. You are coming for the holiday of a lifetime. If you get a job, WHEN you get a job, that is the icing on the cake.

Many people don't dare come to OZ. You are a pioneer! A pioneer to a friendly country!

Im trying to stop myself worrying about jobs and money

Yes your non-stop worrying about everything and anything is becoming very stressful for me personally!

Your last post about Medicare, forced me to eat an entire packet of McVitie's Milk Chocolate Digestive Biscuits just to calm down.

I have not eaten these since 1993 and then I make myself nauseous by eating an entire packet.

Please please please STOP being such a worrywart!

A WHV is meant to be enjoyable and exciting.

Go with the flow!

I can almost 99.99.99% guarantee that you WILL find work quite easily.

And on the very tiny chance you don't, then come back on here, and we can all have a whip round collection for you!

Either that or go Woofing because at least you get free accommodation and food.

Please buy yourself some Bach Flower Rescue Remedy and take a few drops under the tongue, or buy the spray and spray it around your head. Rescue remedy will help you keep calm.

Sadly I have used all my supply up being on here - hence the chocolate digestive biscuits indulgence.

Jilly can always get you a job at the rub and tug.

Bit difficult if I don't work there!

Maybe you could ask SS to give you rub and tug......and then give her free accommodation in return! That would help her save $$$$.

And I am not joking. Apparently there are a lot of sleazy men on Gumtree offering women free accommodation, in return for all manner of "sexual favors".

Did you see my funds thread? Do you think $7000 will last me quite a while if im careful?

Yes.

If you say $50.00 a day to cover accommodation and food at a backpackers, that is $350.00 per week.

http://www.sydneybackpackers.com/rates/

So it would last you a while.

Of course you will need to walk rather than taxis. And limit the booze and eat cheaply. But it can be done.

No need for 2 minute noodles either. Things like lentils are very very cheap and (unlike 2 min noodles), lentils are nutritious.

And if you cannot cook lentils, then eat cheaply here: http://lentilasanything.com/about/

http://www.backpackerjobboard.com.au/jobs-in/sydney/

http://au.indeed.com/Backpacker-jobs-in-Sydney-NSW

https://au.jora.com/Backpacker-jobs-in-Sydney-NSW

https://www.facebook.com/TravellersAtWork

Personally I would AVOID charity collection jobs. There are always travelers at train stations doing these jobs and they are always annoying pushy. Most Australians avoid them like the plague - so you are unlikely to sign anyone up - which means you don't get commission or paid.

Can you title each photo?

It would be interesting for me to see where you took these photos from.

On my way from the car park at Woolahra Council offices on New South Head Rd down to Murray Rose Pool (though I still call it Red Leaf). It was 7 30pm. Third photo is from boardwalk (and shark net) around the pool looking West toward Sydney.

Bit difficult if I don't work there!

Maybe you could ask SS to give you rub and tug......and then give her free accommodation in return! That would help her save $$$$.

And I am not joking. Apparently there are a lot of sleazy men on Gumtree offering women free accommodation, in return for all manner of "sexual favors".

im more likely to want to put my hands around parleys neck when he annoys me, rather than any other body part lol. I have seen a few ads like that though. I signed up to a backpacker job thing and today got an email today offering me $400 for an hours work. I'm not sure what that was but could be related to this lol