Slowly getting there

Guest51810

I'm about to order one of those light beach towels and a sarong like you mentioned. How necessary is the silk liner?

The super absorbent towels can also be brought at sport shops.

And a sarong really is a must. I practically lived in mine.

If you are not bringing a sleeping bag - then yes a silk liner is necessary.

Some backpacker hostels supply linen. But most won't.

And you do NOT want to risk laying directly on top of the mattress.....god only knows what sort of bodily fluids from previous guests are on it - yuck!

And silk is recommended as a lot lighter and less bulky then cotton, so easier to fold and carry.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahahaha this made me laugh ALOT. Unbalanced is one way to describe the delightful sights of Kings X. It provides so much entertainment watching the scenes that unfold!

Ahh yes.

The delightful sights of Kings X. Yes I would say UNBALANCED is the perfect apt description for some people there. There certainly are some interesting and unique characters in unfolding scenes.

(Although on a serious note, homelessness, drug use or other "lifestyle" choices would sadly be a contributing factor in regards to some peoples mental health)

Although I was thinking more the areas around Central, Town Hall and Wynyard train stations.

I bought a washing line like you said. Also a laundry cube, adaptor, a torch and something else but can't remember what. Need a hat but I'll probably just get one over there

And no doubt you will curse me when you never use it!!

Actually the washing line was very popular with other backpackers in my dorm too, and most people wanted to buy it off me. It also can double up as "rope" if you need to tie anything to your backpack or suitcase. And so small you won't even know it is there.

I forgot about an adaptor. I didn't take anything that needed one; so didn't even think about it.

I have no idea what a laundry cube is!?

Silk liners seem to be around £30 which I don't really want to pay. Are they more expensive in aus?

Once you take the exchange rate into consideration the look to be roughly the same price.

http://www.traveluniverse.com.au/liners.htm?gclid=CO6mjf2G4cgCFYmUvQodEboLPw

Otherwise buy a cheaper cotton one.

I just suggested silk as MUCH lighter and easier to pack

Edited by jumpingjellybean

Guest guest90395

In all honesty I wouldn't bother. Hostels will provide linen, you just might need to pay extra for it. Often they don't allow you to use a sleeping bag as they are concerned about bedbugs.

Lots also have outside washing lines but they are generally short on pegs.

The wind was “bracing” today

(i.e.) gale force freezing straight from Antarctica

So a light fleece jumper or cardy will be worth packing too.

I've got a few cardis for night time and I'm bringing a zipper that I'll wear on the plane

Edited by Guest51810

Hi Stacey, I've seen several of your posts on here in the past. Delighted to read that you've now booked your trip. I done a backpacking trip through Asia and Australia back in 2002-2003 aged 23. I set off on 2nd November and had the most fantastic year of my life. The only downside was it took me a good 18 months to settle back into UK life when I returned. The money you have sounds really good, try stop worrying and just look forward to the experience ahead. I've no doubt you'll pick up work if you want it.

Hubby and I (who was my boyfriend and backpacking partner) are now planning our return to Australia with PR along with our two little girls.

I'll look forward to seeing your future posts. Wishing you the most fun ever :jiggy:

Hi Stacey, I've seen several of your posts on here in the past. Delighted to read that you've now booked your trip. I done a backpacking trip through Asia and Australia back in 2002-2003 aged 23. I set off on 2nd November and had the most fantastic year of my life. The only downside was it took me a good 18 months to settle back into UK life when I returned. The money you have sounds really good, try stop worrying and just look forward to the experience ahead. I've no doubt you'll pick up work if you want it.

Hubby and I (who was my boyfriend and backpacking partner) are now planning our return to Australia with PR along with our two little girls.

I'll look forward to seeing your future posts. Wishing you the most fun ever :jiggy:

hiya!

Thanks very much, I'm leaving on the 2nd November too! Yeah I'm worried that I come back and I've got even itchier feet but I know there's so much I want to do still over this side of the world. Just going to enjoy Australia as much as possible then move onto the next step once I'm back. Sounds like you had a great trip! Best of luck with your next move over there! I'm going to start a thread for when I arrive :)

Don't forget you have the possibility of a 2nd year WHV if you so wish. I don't think that was available to me back then. I didn't realise back then, what fab opportunities I had, one place I worked was mentioning sponsorship to me yet I was totally uninterested. Yet, with the knowledge I have now, I wish I pursued it. Anyway, wishing you a wonderful trip

Linen is def provided at wakeup but I guess after that it might not be. I definitely don't want to pay £30-40 for one though so I might just get the cheaper one. I don't know!

Some places provide linen free of charge. Some places provide with a non-refundable fee. Some provide with a refundable fee. Some places don't provide at all - specially country or farm areas.

If a major drama or expense, then don't buy it. It was only a suggestion from experiences from my extensive travels and personally I would not travel without one. But it is not a *must* have for you by any means.

Worse case scenario if you have to sleep on a bare mattress - then put a towel down to lay on and use a sarong as a sheet, and a t-shirt to cover the pillow.

Edited by jumpingjellybean