Slowly getting there

Guest51810

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can people start shouting out stuff that I might not have thought of or bought yet that I'm definitely going to need? I am a bimbo after all! :laugh: I'm not getting too stressed about forgetting clothes because I know I can get stuff out there but it's incase there's other things I haven't thought about. Which is very likely

All you need is your passport, your ticket, your purse, any medication you take (and letter from GP) and maybe some written references for job applications. It's summer in Sydney, almost. Bring a jacket, cardigan, one pair of jeans, two swimming costumes. one decent outfit for interviews/going out on "dress up" night, couple of T shirts/blouses/shorts, "smalls". You can heaps of stuff here or in Singapore. Travel light!

How are you preparing cocktails? I was just in the Norfolk Hotel on Cleveland St, don't normally go in there as it's on the "wrong" side of the street, but I went for a walk, had two Coopers on the way home, and watched all the 20 somethings ordering Marguaritas and other cocktails.

i just feel like there's bound to be little things that I forget. Someone mentioned locks and things like that. Also a hat - I'll need one but I don't even like hats! At the most I'd wear a baseball cap but I should get a wide brimmed one. Could wear my cork one I suppose haha

get a hat when you arrive here - most large chemist shops have them. You'll struggle to get a one at this time of the year in the UK! And unless you squash it into your bag, it's a pain to carry on the plane etc.

Can people start shouting out stuff that I might not have thought of or bought yet that I'm definitely going to need? I am a bimbo after all! :laugh: I'm not getting too stressed about forgetting clothes because I know I can get stuff out there but it's incase there's other things I haven't thought about. Which is very likely

Bring:

Yourself

Passport and WHV

Money

Backpack (or suitcase) with a padlock containing a small selection of clothes

Guidebook

What else do you need? Australia is not a 3rd world country. Everything you can buy in the UK; you can buy here.

What is the point of lugging an umbrella across the world. Just buy one here. I brought a really good one yesterday for $7.50 (£3.53).

Edited by jumpingjellybean
Airline Ticket.....don't forget your ticket. LOL

I know I can get stuff out there but it's incase there's other things I haven't thought about. Which is very likely

Do you have any medicine prescriptions that need filling? Certain medications may be marketed under different names in each country.

What about birth control?

Do you have an emergency fund set up where your family can access it and wire funds over if you get in dire straits.

i just feel like there's bound to be little things that I forget.

But even if there is......you can buy it here.

At this rate, you won't be able to lift your backpack / suitcase. :wink:

Please don't wear your cork hat in the city. Unless you want to look like a total pratt!

Also you don't need a hat. But it is advisable in hot weather. I wear a wide brimmed hat occasionally in summer if sitting in direct sun. Otherwise I don't bother, as I don't really like hats.

But just buy one here; again no need to lug all the way from the UK.

All you need is your passport, your ticket, your purse, any medication you take (and letter from GP) and maybe some written references for job applications. It's summer in Sydney, almost. Bring a jacket, cardigan, one pair of jeans, two swimming costumes. one decent outfit for interviews/going out on "dress up" night, couple of T shirts/blouses/shorts, "smalls". You can heaps of stuff here or in Singapore. Travel light!

I agree with everything you say........except the jeans part.

Jeans are a nightmare to travel with, because if they get wet, they take forever to dry.

And they can add weight to the backpack / suitcase.

Better to have some casual lightweight trousers

Anyway that is just my experience

My personal MUST HAVES when backpacking:

Small padlock: for backpack / suitcase / rucksack / etc….

Bumbag: essential for keeping passport, money, travellers cheques or credit cards close by to your person and safe (whilst keeping your hands free).

Small day rucksack: for sightseeing and general everyday use

Sleeping Bag: perfect for sleeping in (!), as many hostels won’t supply you with bedding sheets, and you don’t want to make contact with a possibly skanky mattress, so a sleeping bag will protect you. But if the hostel does supply you with bedding, then the sleeping bag can be opened up to form a blanket and add warmth. You can also use it opened up as a sheet to sleep on top of. And it doubles up as a brilliant foot rest, neck rest or pillow for long uncomfortable bus trips. If you don’t want to carry a sleeping bag, then a silk sleeping bag liner is good for hostel beds.

Suitable Clothes: denim is a nightmare to travel in – horrible to wear in humid, wet or hot weather. So stick to breathable, comfortable and very quick drying materials like hemp or cotton. These materials are also easy to pack as more lightweight.

A cotton sarong: has many uses (skirt, top, dress, headscarf, towel and bed-sheet) and is lightweight.

Washing line: self-securing pegless

Towel: microfiber fabric that dries quickly and rolls up small for packing

Flip flops: wear them in the shower at hostels

Torch: mini torch can go on your keyring or in your pocket.

Edited by jumpingjellybean
Spelling

Torch: mini torch can go on your keyring or in your pocket.

Seems odd.

But comes in very useful when trying to pack or unpack your rucksack / suitcase, early or late in a dorm room, when everyone else is trying to sleep.

Comes in useful on the plane when stewardesses "insist" on lights out for everyone

Comes in handy for powercuts in hostels.

And when walking in the dark along a pathway in a snake infested Malaysian jungle............don't ask!

Can people start shouting out stuff that I might not have thought of or bought yet that I'm definitely going to need?

Get a couple of photocopies of your passport. Keep one in a safe place separate from the passport itself and give one to someone at home (such as your mum). Just in case the original gets lost....saves a heap of trouble if you can quote reference numbers etc if you had to replace it.

One of those fold up plastic ponchos is handy: weighs nothing, takes up no room....but a godsend in a downpour.

Denim.. I bought 2 denim shorts a while ago and then eventually it was probably a bad idea but I'm too late to return them. I Do have another pair of denim shorts but they are very light. The rest of my shorts are a different material. I've put in 2 pairs of skinny jeans but they are light. I probably won't be wearing them anytime soon unless I really mess up the weather and it ends up being a cold summer haha. I've bought a pair of black linen trousers which are so comfy.

But even if there is......you can buy it here.

At this rate, you won't be able to lift your backpack / suitcase. :wink:

Please don't wear your cork hat in the city. Unless you want to look like a total pratt!

Also you don't need a hat. But it is advisable in hot weather. I wear a wide brimmed hat occasionally in summer if sitting in direct sun. Otherwise I don't bother, as I don't really like hats.

But just buy one here; again no need to lug all the way from the UK.

When you are young you can wear anything and not look like a prat. You'll need the hat with corks for OZ Day.

There is such a thing as being too organised. I expect that being the fault of fairly recent social media. Whatever happened to the 'just arriving' perhaps with a guide book and take it as it happens?

I wouldn't bother with a padlock myself unless its just for a deterant.Anyone can open a suitcase even with a padlock.PM me for details SS.Dont over worry the packing side.Especially clothing wise.Better to take more tops than bottoms imho.I wouldn't overpack shoes either.A pair of trainers,which you could wear on the flight,a pair of thongs (flip flops lol)which you could buy cheaply anyway at Big W or K Mart,and a pair of going out shoes.Toiletries?I would take roll on deo (small and compact,and lasts for ages),a travel size bottle of shampoo,some deet mozzie spray or roll on for Singapore and beyond,a small bottle of sunblock,and maybe a small facecream,(some makeup removal pads if you're planning on wearing makeup before landing in Oz,but otherwise I wouldn't bother)and a small amount of makeup.Perhaps a bottle of your fav perfume,toothpaste/brush.

I wouldn't bother with a padlock myself unless its just for a deterant.Anyone can open a suitcase even with a padlock.PM me for details SS.Dont over worry the packing side.Especially clothing wise.Better to take more tops than bottoms imho.I wouldn't overpack shoes either.A pair of trainers,which you could wear on the flight,a pair of thongs (flip flops lol)which you could buy cheaply anyway at Big W or K Mart,and a pair of going out shoes.Toiletries?I would take roll on deo (small and compact,and lasts for ages),a travel size bottle of shampoo,some deet mozzie spray or roll on for Singapore and beyond,a small bottle of sunblock,and maybe a small facecream,(some makeup removal pads if you're planning on wearing makeup before landing in Oz,but otherwise I wouldn't bother)and a small amount of makeup.Perhaps a bottle of your fav perfume,toothpaste/brush.

I'd add a small bottle of factor 30 sun cream and a small bottle of insect repellent - clearly these are easily bought when you arrive but I'd rather have them handy than being bitten alive on the first night in Singapore or burnt in the first 15 mins. It is also advised to wear sun cream when flying - something to do with the UV light at altitude.

I would also take a wide brimmed hat (without corks!) again because the sunlight will seem very harsh when you first arrive and it is better to be prepared immediately - you can simply wear it at the airport, it does;t need to be packed.

I'd add a small bottle of factor 30 sun cream and a small bottle of insect repellent - clearly these are easily bought when you arrive but I'd rather have them handy than being bitten alive on the first night in Singapore or burnt in the first 15 mins. It is also advised to wear sun cream when flying - something to do with the UV light at altitude.

I would also take a wide brimmed hat (without corks!) again because the sunlight will seem very harsh when you first arrive and it is better to be prepared immediately - you can simply wear it at the airport, it does;t need to be packed.

Yes that's why I mentioned them LR!:wink: