Why is it only 2.5 million live in WA but 21.5 million live over East

paul1977

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
how do you see WA in 20 years then...?

Increasingly Asian, far more high density, somehow the sprawl will need to be brought under some sort of control. I feel it still has a way to run though. More satellite cities around Perth to act as mini centres. Very high auto congestion. Hopefully a fully functional public transport network although won't hold my breath on that one.

Far more divide in wealth and poverty.

Why is it only 2.5 million live in WA but 21.5 million live over East

Because "over East" had more of what British settlers needed to establish new colonies - deep water harbours, plentiful reliable rainfall, reliable river systems, climate and access to fertile soils suitable for growing a wide variety of crops.

WA has actually had a higher percentage population growth than the other states for the past 50 years. But it has started a long way behind the rest.

Well firstly, it's a bit much calling everything east of wa east.

Wa was settled much later than the rest of Australia, with the main intention being to keep the French out.

It must have worked I've not met any French. :laugh: Lots of Italians in Freo especially but no French.

Well firstly, it's a bit much calling everything east of wa east.

Wa was settled much later than the rest of Australia, with the main intention being to keep the French out.

When I was in Perth, in 1978, they did call anywhere east of WA 'The Eastern States' as in 'Buses to the Eastern States.' and you could buy postcards of Australia with all of WA named, and everywhere else 'Largely unexplored.'

And Perth was settled much later than, say NSW. I can remember seeing the posters counting down the days to the 150th anniversary celebrations.

Was WA settled 'to keep the French out?' WA was a convict colony just like everywhere else except SA.

Anyway, as for the original title to this thread, comparing the population in WA unfavourably to the rest of OZ, is as daft and pointless as comparing the population of the Scottish Highlands to Greater London.

When I was in Perth, in 1978, they did call anywhere east of WA 'The Eastern States' as in 'Buses to the Eastern States.' and you could buy postcards of Australia with all of WA named, and everywhere else 'Largely unexplored.'

And Perth was settled much later than, say NSW. I can remember seeing the posters counting down the days to the 150th anniversary celebrations.

Was WA settled 'to keep the French out?' WA was a convict colony just like everywhere else except SA.

Anyway, as for the original title to this thread, comparing the population in WA unfavourably to the rest of OZ, is as daft and pointless as comparing the population of the Scottish Highlands to Greater London.

Well hardly as daft as WA as far more resources and economic activity than the Scottish Highlands. There has been talk and more talk over the decades with regards to decentralise. While the mind entertains the idea the body appears to reject. I guess few outside of retirees and suburban evacuees really have much interest in uprooting and move to the bush or even coastal towns. Of course costs are hardly less outside of housing in certain regions, but that again is hardly cheap.

Unless government takes the incentive, there is little in the work field that would enable people to move.

Not forgetting only QLD has really managed to get a large share of its population to establish in the regions. WA could certainly do with a city in the North. Broome? Perhaps in the South Albany? (Bunbury being too near metro and in danger of being obviously one massive sprawl)

Where will WA's next major city be...?

Probably Joondalup. We've seen it go from bushland with roads and a tiny hospital in 92 to a fairly big town. Not a City yet I guess but what constitutes a City?

We had to take out youngster to the old Wanneroo Hospital in the middle of the night as he was having an asthma attack. We hadn't been before, only been living in the area about a month and it was weird. Driving on the roads that are there now, Joondalup Drive, Lakeside Drive etc. All built with Street lighting and surrounded by Bush land. No buildings there at all. Hospital was tiny but great service.

Fast forward 23 years. Hospital massive, one of the biggest employers in the area, big University with fantastic buildings and grounds, main Police Academy, one of the best Libraries I've been to, great leisure centre, pubs, clubs, restaurants galore, one of the biggest shopping centres in the Southern Hemisphere and getting bigger by the day.

You can get anything you could possibly want there I reckon. No need to go into Perth any more if you don't fancy it.:cool:

I'm sure you'll be able to find lots of negatives though Paul.:wink:

Joondalup hardly. It is a satellite city within the metro area servicing the northern suburbs is about as far as it goes. IMO it was an opportunity lost. Still built on American suburban lines of being auto centric instead of European concepts of people orientated ( more living in the centre creating energy and life) and a walkable aided by a rapid transport system making it a destination in its own right rather than a satellite centre, really not a lot different from Midland or Armadale.

Put it this way Perth and Fremantle are both destinations both for self and tourists visiting. I don't see Joondalup as anywhere close to such, with the possible exception of special events held up there.

WA's next city will not be a satellite within the metro area. Anyway it already calls itself a city. it will be a location in another part of the state but who knows how many decades away that will be?

Joondalup hardly. It is a satellite city within the metro area servicing the northern suburbs is about as far as it goes. IMO it was an opportunity lost.

Thanks for the heads up Flag, was gonna a buy an investment property after Paul's write-up !

Joondalup hardly. It is a satellite city within the metro area servicing the northern suburbs is about as far as it goes. IMO it was an opportunity lost.

Thanks for the heads up Flag, was gonna a buy an investment property after Paul's write-up !

Mmmm. Well don't let me deter you from investing in over inflated real estate in Joondalup or where ever. Plenty of folk around besides Paul,no doubt consider Joondalup the dog's privates.

Mmmm. Well don't let me deter you from investing in over inflated real estate in Joondalup or where ever. Plenty of folk around besides Paul,no doubt consider Joondalup the dog's privates.

Nah, ya 'right, rather stay here and get ripped off in Sydney :skeptical:

Perth was never a convict colony. Convicts were sent there for use as labour in small numbers. But it was never set up with the intention of it being a convict colony.

But I agree, you could stand in Brighton and say, less than a million people in Brighton, 70 million north of Brighton, what's wrong with Brighton?

Don't write it off just because of what flag says janlo, you could do worse for investment. He's probably never been. It's pretty easy to get to mind you, freeway goes there, train line goes there, takes about 40 minutes between there and Perth on the train.

Believe me it's nothing like Armadale or Midland. Might feel like your shopping in Manchester if you go on Saturday mind you.:wink:

I don't consider it the dog's privates flag. I much prefer living out of Joondalup nearer the beach. I'm not a City person, even Joondalup would be too busy for me and I hate shopping.

Don't write it off just because of what flag says janlo, you could do worse for investment. He's probably never been. It's pretty easy to get to mind you, freeway goes there, train line goes there, takes about 40 minutes between there and Perth on the train.

Believe me it's nothing like Armadale or Midland. Might feel like your shopping in Manchester if you go on Saturday mind you.:wink:

Believe me I write of nothing when it concerns this country and real estate. I know Joondalup as well as I want to thanks very much. It is similar to other suburban hubs mentioned as all are satellites. Sorry Manchester on a Saturday doesn't sell it to me either but true enough.

I don't consider it the dog's privates flag. I much prefer living out of Joondalup nearer the beach. I'm not a City person, even Joondalup would be too busy for me and I hate shopping.

Only responding to your call when writing up on Joondalup. I do believe the topic was the next city in WA. I realise your a suburbanite. Fine but most the Perth metro fits that description. For more urban dwellers the choice is far more limited.

Archived