Why is it only 2.5 million live in WA but 21.5 million live over East

paul1977

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perth was never a convict colony. Convicts were sent there for use as labour in small numbers. But it was never set up with the intention of it being a convict colony.

But I agree, you could stand in Brighton and say, less than a million people in Brighton, 70 million north of Brighton, what's wrong with Brighton?

The convict era of Western Australia was the period during which Western Australia was a penal colony of the British Empire. Although it received small numbers of juvenile offenders from 1842, it was not formally constituted as a penal colony until 1849. Between 1850 and 1868, 9,721 convicts were transported to Western Australia on 43 convict ship voyages. Transportation ceased in 1868, and it was many years until the colony ceased to have any convicts in its care.

I don't understand why they have never really developed the West- all these years after settlement and it is still so underpopulated and so backward. Like New Zealand, another puzzle. Why don't the politicians get off their fat backsides and develop some of the inland Australian areas? Why don't they capture some of the vast amount of water going to waste and pipe it in? They do it in the Middle East. What is wrong with us?

I don't understand why they have never really developed the West- all these years after settlement and it is still so underpopulated and so backward. Like New Zealand, another puzzle. Why don't the politicians get off their fat backsides and develop some of the inland Australian areas? Why don't they capture some of the vast amount of water going to waste and pipe it in? They do it in the Middle East. What is wrong with us?

Don't see it as a problem. Perth will grow as and when it's needed. We have a couple of desal plants now so water is not an issue. Never really was. As long as they let us pour vast amounts on our gardens they aren't that worried.

It's not underpopulated and backward. I preferred it when we came in 92, much quiter, easier to get about, free parking in the City. I was blown away when we went for our driving licence in Perth and we parked for free, outside the licensing centre in Perth, did the test and came out with the licence in an hour or so. Seemed so easy and people so friendly. As the cities got bigger it's getting big City problems. Not so easy to get about, traffic jams in rush hour (still nowhere near as bad as other major cities) parking getting expensive in Perth and other busy areas that used to be free.

The government has announced today a multi million dollar investment into Northern Aus. A lot of the work is done up there, my son was working in Port Hedland for about 2 years but did he want to move there? No chance. He much preferred his week on week off FIFO. He's up there on another site now but still doing FIFO.

There is a lot of potential for farming, cattle, etc around the Ord River and if the government and private companies think the recent trade agreements with China will generate enough market to make a profit, then it will happen. If not it will get put back another few years.

There are places up and down the Coast that are absolutely magnificent and aren't busy. There are so many of them in WA though that they don't need to be busy. As more and more people discover that there is a Reef at Ningaloo to rival the Great Barrier Reef, but you can snorkel out to it, then it might become a lot busier and spoil it. There's an airport up there but keep it a bit of a secret I say.

You guys over East who think WA is backward, carry on thinking that way and leave it for us that like it as it is.:cool:

I wasn't so much thinking of Perth but the inland areas- just acres of nothing and why? So many people are looking for land and yet we have all this land that just needs water piped through it. We are all squashed in round the edges in Australia.

The 'why' is easily answered, the overwhelming majority of people would not want to live there so you will always have 95+% living squashed around the edges.

I wasn't so much thinking of Perth but the inland areas- just acres of nothing and why? So many people are looking for land and yet we have all this land that just needs water piped through it. We are all squashed in round the edges in Australia.

We need to become an Israel perhaps and turn the deserts into blooms and liveable places.

Don't see it as a problem. Perth will grow as and when it's needed. We have a couple of desal plants now so water is not an issue. Never really was. As long as they let us pour vast amounts on our gardens they aren't that worried.

It's not underpopulated and backward. I preferred it when we came in 92, much quiter, easier to get about, free parking in the City. I was blown away when we went for our driving licence in Perth and we parked for free, outside the licensing centre in Perth, did the test and came out with the licence in an hour or so. Seemed so easy and people so friendly. As the cities got bigger it's getting big City problems. Not so easy to get about, traffic jams in rush hour (still nowhere near as bad as other major cities) parking getting expensive in Perth and other busy areas that used to be free.

The government has announced today a multi million dollar investment into Northern Aus. A lot of the work is done up there, my son was working in Port Hedland for about 2 years but did he want to move there? No chance. He much preferred his week on week off FIFO. He's up there on another site now but still doing FIFO.

There is a lot of potential for farming, cattle, etc around the Ord River and if the government and private companies think the recent trade agreements with China will generate enough market to make a profit, then it will happen. If not it will get put back another few years.

There are places up and down the Coast that are absolutely magnificent and aren't busy. There are so many of them in WA though that they don't need to be busy. As more and more people discover that there is a Reef at Ningaloo to rival the Great Barrier Reef, but you can snorkel out to it, then it might become a lot busier and spoil it. There's an airport up there but keep it a bit of a secret I say.

You guys over East who think WA is backward, carry on thinking that way and leave it for us that like it as it is.:cool:

Just be happy Eastern state folk speak slowly to enable Westies to comprehend. Darn decent if you ask me.

Just wait and in x number of years Perth's population will match Melbourne's population today. If we don't run out of water first of course.

can you imagine the urban sprawl then..... trouble is Perth's cbd will never match that of Sydney or Melbourne as its been boxed in, if it was to reach 4-5 million, the city couldnt take it...

Love Perth CBD ....always something new to see, its like an aladdins cave.

All the development going on..

Prob go 1/2 times a month, find something new every time .

what with all the new devolpments going on, would be lucky if I get bored after twenty years...

thanfully if that happens I can always go check out the surrounding areas cos they are changing too:wink:

would be a fool if I Didnt explore..

You said the real estate was over inflated ? soooo no thanks. :rolleyes:

It is but few seem to take heed here. Australia has a most bizarre relationship with real estate than anywhere I've ever seen. For the individual to make up their own mind but there are better deals by far to be had abroad in investment potential. Good luck anyway.

Love Perth CBD ....always something new to see, its like an aladdins cave.

All the development going on..

Prob go 1/2 times a month, find something new every time .

what with all the new devolpments going on, would be lucky if I get bored after twenty years...

thanfully if that happens I can always go check out the surrounding areas cos they are changing too:wink:

would be a fool if I Didnt explore..

I love the CBD too. We go off and wander and find new places all the time. Such a great area if you actually use your feet and wander. Obviously at the moment it's a bit "ruined" by the building works but you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs. It will be great when it's finished.