Six weeks back - my impressions (warning, whinge)

Marisawright

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

funny that about the car thing, i've been back in the UK 5 weeks now after 11 years in Melbourne.

New cars are cheaper in Australia - a fact. I've been looking at buying a 2014 Mazda 3 2.0 SE-L NAV here in UK with about 10,000 miles on the clock £14,000.

That is the same price in AUD on Mazda Australia's website for a equivalent new one.($28,000). Even the base Mazda 3 2014 in the UK starts at £13,000, where in Australia you'd be looking at $19,000

As for a late model car for £2000 that would buy you a very high mileage unreliable banger. That would be the last thing you'd want to break down on the motorway where they use the hard shoulder as an extra lane.

are these comparable?

http://www.motors.co.uk/car-37289404/3/srs

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201503081531862/sort/default/model/mazda3/usedcars/channel/cars/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/page/1/make/mazda/postcode/bn68da/radius/1501/maximum-age/up_to_1_year_old/price-from/10000/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201506044029153/sort/default/model/mazda3/usedcars/channel/cars/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/page/1/make/mazda/postcode/bn68da/radius/1501/maximum-age/up_to_1_year_old/price-from/10000/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l?logcode=p

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Mazda-3-2014/AGC-AD-17863153/?Cr=3

Don't hold your breath mate, the cost of second hand cars in Oz is unbelievably high compared to the UK.

New are cheaper though, as you would expect. The high dollar has made goods in Australia much cheaper. When I was over there two years ago the cost of tablets and laptops was much cheaper than the UK. As you would expect with any nation with a strong currency. Sadly, that will soon change. Australia doesn't make cars, so all imported vehicles will slowly start getting much more expensive. Probably a good time to think about buying a car.

Ok so experiences differ. Son in UK bar work, nice place in Nottingham. £8 per hour. son in SA $$22-25 per hour. Both casual zero hour contracts.

we bought VW golf new here last year, better spec and cheaper than we could have got in UK. ( I know because I went for test drives in UK and checked on prices/ deals). could be the haggle factor though, dealers here expect to bargain for custom so even with a new car I got a bit off and extras thrown in. the UK dealer would only offer floor mats and a bunch of cheap flowers!

i do think some things just get passed on like folk lore. Things change both here and in the UK.

The OP is just saying how she is finding it.

It is tough moving. Thanks for sharing these thoughts, it all serves to remind people that nowhere is perfect and that people's experiences are very different.

Marisa please do come back and let us know how you are getting on once you have had time to really settle in.

Again I can only comment for myself but it really isn't a case of not liking to read negatives about the UK, it is about inaccuracies and gross exaggerations. As I have said reverse it and imagine the comments. I have said both countries have their share of faults but I will try and correct inaccuracies though.

And I will try to correct inaccuracies also. Funny how the inaccuracies you try to correct are always related to the UK??

Ok so experiences differ. Son in UK bar work, nice place in Nottingham. £8 per hour. son in SA $$22-25 per hour. Both casual zero hour contracts.

we bought VW golf new here last year, better spec and cheaper than we could have got in UK. ( I know because I went for test drives in UK and checked on prices/ deals). could be the haggle factor though, dealers here expect to bargain for custom so even with a new car I got a bit off and extras thrown in. the UK dealer would only offer floor mats and a bunch of cheap flowers!

i do think some things just get passed on like folk lore. Things change both here and in the UK.

It is tough moving. Thanks for sharing these thoughts, it all serves to remind people that nowhere is perfect and that people's experiences are very different.

Marisa please do come back and let us know how you are getting on once you have had time to really settle in.

average house price in Adelaide $532000 ( 266000 pounds)..average house price in Nottingham is 146000 pounds.. you need to earn more in Australia to service big mortgages... always seems to get forgotten does your biggest purchase and biggest monthly bill

average house price in Adelaide $532000 ( 266000 pounds)..average house price in Nottingham is 146000 pounds.. you need to earn more in Australia to service big mortgages... always seems to get forgotten does your biggest purchase and biggest monthly bill

Average salary in Nottingham is only 11k GBP (http://www.bbc.com/news/business-22623964) makes average house 15 times salary.

Average salary in Adelaide is $80k (http://www.salaryexplorer.com/salary-survey.php?loc=91&loctype=3) makes average house only 6.6 times salary.

Which would make Nottingham less affordable for housing costs...

Average salary in Nottingham is only 11k GBP (http://www.bbc.com/news/business-22623964) makes average house 15 times salary.

Average salary in Adelaide is $80k (http://www.salaryexplorer.com/salary-survey.php?loc=91&loctype=3) makes average house only 6.6 times salary.

Which would make Nottingham less affordable for housing costs...

average salary in Australia is i think 72-74 grand a year... your figures are wrong ... i think the average uk salary sits at around 25 grand... cant be bothered

Guest The Pom Queen
All my bananas are free. 7 bunches are ripening right now...if you want any:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

@Bobj do you offer free delivery :wink:

See my post above yours. It's secondhand cars that cost more in Australia, and the older the greater the difference. Not sure why, and it's possible that it's a cultural thing that will change.

So you believe people in Adelaide earn 10% more than the rest of the country and people in Nottingham earn about 65% less than the rest of the country...?

You're playing with words, the stats provided imply that the average worker in Adelaide earns 10% more than the average worker in Australia as a whole. (i.e. I expect the average worker in Kickatinalong earns less and the average worker in Syndey or Melbourne earns more). Same goes for Nottingham, that article implies that the average worker - compared to the whole UK average (which will be skewed upwards by London and the South East) earns less.

You're playing with words, the stats provided imply that the average worker in Adelaide earns 10% more than the average worker in Australia as a whole. (i.e. I expect the average worker in Kickatinalong earns less and the average worker in Syndey or Melbourne earns more). Same goes for Nottingham, that article implies that the average worker - compared to the whole UK average (which will be skewed upwards by London and the South East) earns less.

Any discussion which refers to house price comparisons is always flawed. We are moving from Surrey to QLD. Can't tell you what the averages are for both but our very average 3 bed 1930s pebble-dash semi-detached house has sold for £423,000 ($846,000). We will be able to buy a much better property and still have plenty left over so UK/Oz generalisations/comparisons on properties are meaningless.

Any discussion which refers to house price comparisons is always flawed. We are moving from Surrey to QLD. Can't tell you what the averages are for both but our very average 3 bed 1930s pebble-dash semi-detached house has sold for £423,000 ($846,000). We will be able to buy a much better property and still have plenty left over so UK/Oz generalisations/comparisons on properties are meaningless.

I dont think the poster is worried about Accuracy.

If you live in Australia you will pay whatever the price is FACT

Different states different prices FACT

If you live in UK you will pay whatever the price is FACT

If you live in London you'll pay the price for doing so

Same for any other town or city

Wherever you live you will pay that price

Research what you can afford wherever that may be

Noone tells you to live in a place you can't afford so don't do it

We will all have our own thoughts on what and why a place is best for them but it won't suit all

Live happily ever after because you chose where you wanted to live

the average house price for Adelaide that you have quoted is actually the average price for the CBD (about a mile square). The actual average house price for the metropolitan area of Adelaide is $425,000 https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/housing-property-and-land/buying-and-selling/advice-for-buyers/metro-median-house-sales-statistics/median-house-sales-by-quarter