Who Living in Australia Now!!! Think, Know, Love, Hate life here

HelensvaleHoward

This is for comments from members who are now living in Australia

Not lived here in years gone by (Things do change)

Holidays don't count as it's totally different to experience life living here

Please do post with good and bad comments as I know lots are trying to leave and return home which is for their own reasons

I think this thread would be great reading for people who are new to the forum and making the move to Australia now or in the future as this will be up to date information

Jobs, unemployment, housing to buy, rentals the cost of living in general

Don't forget we're all different who want and live our lifes the way that suits us

It's not a competition its a general feedback thread

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on my second stint in Sydney. In the first, I made frequent trips back to England to see my parents, and eventually, after losing my job in Sydney, I went back to live in England for twelve years. I could have stayed there forever, but after my parents died, wanted to be closer to my brother here in Sydney.

I'm now into my seventh year back in Sydney, and it is also the longest period I've spent in Australia without going to England. I've got a feeling I may never go back to England. My parents have passed away, so the only real reason to go is to sort out my house and personal effects. The house is rented out and provides me with valuable income, combined with my Royal Mail pension.

I don't think life is necessarily better in Australia. I don't even think in those terms. I just 'live' here. I no longer have any reason to constantly compare the two countries. I suspect that is the way that most of us who are happy here live. It is only the ones who are not yet settled, and/or are unhappy who continue to make those comparisons.

I was brought up in Australia, and have lived most of my life there, although I've spent a lot in the south of England. I reckon both places are pretty liveable if you have the money, but neither is perfect. But Australia will always be where my heart is.

Houses are grossly overpriced :sad: Thank goodness we bought our house years ago and have also been mortgage free for years - putting our money into saving for our old age. Now retired and living comfortably. Never splashed the cash around before so reaping the benefit now. All in all, Australia has been good to us and our two lads have good jobs and seem to be managing fine with mortgages and day to day living.

I disagree - I don't think houses are over-priced where we are in Brisbane, but then I came from the commuter belt on the M4, where it cost an arm and a leg for a one bed flat!! I guess it depends where in the UK you are coming from and where you are moving to.

Australia is declared Melbourne Age yesterday the most expensive country in the world. It gave examples of cost of living. For those longer settled with own house and preferably no mortgage wouldn't find it too bad. But by and large country is overpriced is most all things as a result of recent boom now in steady decline.

Quality always costs more!

Don't believe the hype! Good or bad. Do your research, and then do it again. Nothing should really be a shock if you do. We have kept our spending to a minimum and not got into the all to easy route of going over the top or going overboard which is very tempting.

We have found that here hard work rewards. Even minimum wage jobs are $16.87 an hour, casual loading if casual, which many of these types of jobs are, is $21.00 an hour. You won't pay tax until you have earnt $18,000 per annum.

Remember though that for every skilled person that comes over, the likelyhood is they will be bringing a partner who is not and that means usually lots of people scrabbling for lower paid part time work, especially within school hours.

Lifes been really very kind to us here, and I certainly realise that for some it has not, and I am genuinely very sorry for them, but this does not distract from the fact that it does seem to work for the majority. Try and keep spending in particular debt to a minimum, do not over commit mortgage wise then if tough times are ahead you will put yourself in a better position.

A can do, rather than a what have I done? attitude won't put food on the table but will put you in a far better position to make things work. I love my life here I make no bones about it and I refuse to apologise for it, it hasn't come without sacrifices, but positivity can make this experience a whole lot easier.

Great replies so far

I guess my turn...

Been here nearly 5 years

Had ups and downs but I'd say many more ups than downs but it aint perfect here so don't be fooled into thinking that

You only get out of life what you are willing to put into it

You don't get it put on a plate for you

We did miss certain things from and about the UK for sure

But after a time you realise this is not the UK and you have to move on

You find food you like but never try and make it like you did in UK and then say it's not like it was before because that's what can make you feel homesick

Food will be different even the HZ beans lol

You're in a new country did you expect the UK but with more sunshine???

Cos it aint

The heat and humidity (Gold Coast) can be a killer but when you move to an area that has these things guess what you'll have them and no point in moaning get used to it or move it won't change for you

Do your own homework

Listen to those that moan about Australia carefully but take most of it with a pinch of salt as we're all very different

The UK is agreat country for sure and so is Australia but some will only be able to live in one

I choose Australia

We have been here nearly 5 years this year, I still feel this is the land of opportunity if you are prepared to roll your sleeves up and work hard. We have achieved more in this time than we would have done back in UK.

As others have said its had its ups and downs but more ups than downs.

I find food a better quality here

Property prices in the main city's are off the scale , I am going to finally achieve a dream by building our own dream house in the hunter valley on a golf course surrounded by vine yards .

the weather is a massive plus for us .

Its not for everyone but my glass is always half full and I feel you get out off life what you put into it.

There are certainly worse places to live. I think if you have had the guts to uproot and travel this far you are a strong person the experiences will only make you stronger and wiser if you return .

Great replies so far

I guess my turn...

Been here nearly 5 years

Had ups and downs but I'd say many more ups than downs but it aint perfect here so don't be fooled into thinking that

You only get out of life what you are willing to put into it

You don't get it put on a plate for you

We did miss certain things from and about the UK for sure

But after a time you realise this is not the UK and you have to move on

You find food you like but never try and make it like you did in UK and then say it's not like it was before because that's what can make you feel homesick

Food will be different even the HZ beans lol

You're in a new country did you expect the UK but with more sunshine???

Cos it aint

The heat and humidity (Gold Coast) can be a killer but when you move to an area that has these things guess what you'll have them and no point in moaning get used to it or move it won't change for you

Do your own homework

Listen to those that moan about Australia carefully but take most of it with a pinch of salt as we're all very different

The UK is agreat country for sure and so is Australia but some will only be able to live in one

I choose Australia

It sounds like you kept looking forward, rather than backwards, thinking of all the new experiences to be found in a new country, as opposed to thinking about the old ones you left behind?

Been here nearly seven years now, two years on the Gold Coast and nearly five in Melbourne. Hated it for the first three to four years, but now I find it generally ok.

I know that I'm no one's idea of a sucessful immigrant, but if I could give prospective immigrants some advice it would be to make sure that you can still continue to enjoy things from your old life in Britain post-arrival in Australia. Looking back to when we came out here in 2008, I was plunged into a life on the GC which bore no resemblance to the life I'd lived in London. It was all too much too soon and I pretty much went under without any of the familiarity of home. It sounds daft but if I'd been able to find a pub selling British beer and showing Premiership football it might have eased the transition to a new country and culture!

Been here nearly seven years now, two years on the Gold Coast and nearly five in Melbourne. Hated it for the first three to four years, but now I find it generally ok.

I know that I'm no one's idea of a sucessful immigrant, but if I could give prospective immigrants some advice it would be to make sure that you can still continue to enjoy things from your old life in Britain post-arrival in Australia. Looking back to when we came out here in 2008, I was plunged into a life on the GC which bore no resemblance to the life I'd lived in London. It was all too much too soon and I pretty much went under without any of the familiarity of home. It sounds daft but if I'd been able to find a pub selling British beer and showing Premiership football it might have eased the transition to a new country and culture!

I dont think its daft at all. Being plunged is basically the same as being pushed. If you're pushed you kick out against it. Which isn't going to then make you accept it very easily. My OH did and still does drink imported cider and beer, and he loves the English and Irish type Pubs, he watches the Prem but his team is down in the Conference at the moment so he's not missing that :wink: He does miss going to home games though. On our recent trip back he manage to squeeze in two. He was happy as a pig in muck.

I guess we all have our own coping mechanisms for tough times that you can have when making such a big move

It is such a big step to take

It can be hell for some in the first days, weeks, months, years and no one knows for sure how we'll handle it, some won't and maybe go back to the UK some will ping pong and some will stick it out

Who's to say which is the best option

I guess this boils down to the person, family to decide

Just have no regrets either way

This is like when you book an holiday we'll all have somewhere we'd want to go and it wouldn't suit everyone

We're all so different

I have lived here for 10 years now and love it, it's my home. However, if I was looking at moving now with the information I now know I would not come and that is purely down to cost of living and the current job market. This is with regards to Perth only as I have no idea about the rest of the country.

I have lived here for 10 years now and love it, it's my home. However, if I was looking at moving now with the information I now know I would not come and that is purely down to cost of living and the current job market.

I think this is the point people miss when they talk about "Aussie haters" on this forum. Yes there are a few posters who hate the place, but most of those who express reservations or concerns are just worried for families making the move now, when it's so different from when we arrived. Australia has changed a lot in the last 10 years, but you still see Brits talking about "living the dream" or expecting "a better future". Neither of which is really true these days.

Whether Australia is better or worse depends hugely on what part of the UK you come from and what part of Australia you come to, what your salary is going to be like and what lifestyle you enjoy.

I think this is the point people miss when they talk about "Aussie haters" on this forum. Yes there are a few posters who hate the place, but most of those who express reservations or concerns are just worried for families making the move now, when it's so different from when we arrived. Australia has changed a lot in the last 10 years, but you still see Brits talking about "living the dream" or expecting "a better future". Neither of which is really true these days.

Whether Australia is better or worse depends hugely on what part of the UK you come from and what part of Australia you come to, what your salary is going to be like and what lifestyle you enjoy.

This is so true and a great post for those thinking about the move

How do you pick the perfect time to move? No amount of research in the UK will tell you what it is going to be like "on the ground." In retrospect, I was stupid to quit a comfortable, well paid job to come to OZ in 1978, and I was equally stupid to do the same thing in 2008. I should have stayed with Royal Mail till I reached 60 and got a better pension. But I didn't know it would be difficult to get a job in either 1978 or 2008.

But if you try to pick the optimum time to look for a job or when the FX rate is best, or when the cost of living is low, you will never go.

Archived