Is this true for you?

crackerjack

http:// http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/mar/14/sunny-days-no-difference-mental-wellbeing

Read this earlier and found it interesting. I know it's true for me. Only consistently long spells of particularly extreme weather, be it heat, heavy rain, or bitter cold, affects my mood and fortunately in our country, such extremes are rare. I do like a sunny day, cold or warm, but I wouldn't say it raises my mood significantly. What about other peeps?

The link doesn't seem to work? Not sure what it says but I find a sunny day can make quite a difference to my mood. Temperature doesn't matter but I find bright blue skies and sunshine help me feel like everything is alright with the world. That's not to say I feel down every time it is cloudy but I do often find my motivation is low when it's dull outside.

The link has an extra http at the beginning, that's why it doesn't work.

Here is the correct link:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/mar/14/sunny-days-no-difference-mental-wellbeing

It does say that Seasonal Affective Disorder is genuine, but caused by lack of light rather than weather.

That's much better thanks. I think the findings probably are true. If I'm happy it doesn't matter if it's cloudy or sunny and if I'm feeling down a sunny day doesn't necessarily help, although I'm usually happy more than down so always feel like a sunny day makes me feel good. I do feel more motivated to get things done when the weather is nice but this isn't the same as my mood being effected.

My OH used to suffer from SAD in the UK and is much better here in Adelaide. I would never have said it was the weather that caused it though and it was very much linked to the lack of light. Although when it's cloudy there is less light around so that didn't help, but on a day to day basis it didn't really make a difference, just over a period of time. He had one of those lights that replicate daylight and that made quite a difference to him.

My first reaction to the headline: "Rain or shine, it makes no difference to how happy most Britons feel." was to emphatically disagree....I simply know too many fellow Brits that enjoy a welcome sunny day in the midst of yet another dreadfully dull season. However, I am not surprised to find that for some people a single day makes a difference whereas for others it doesn't, therefore leading to statistically insignificant results. Even for those that are cheered by a single sunny day, you'd have to survey them on that sunny day, otherwise it's a distant memory.

Overall, the research being reported doesn't support the headline the Guardian have given it.

After a very long time in Oz the sun now drives me insane! In Tassie this summer to avoid the summer storms and humidity in SE Qld. Just could not take it any longer. However, a year back in UK from Spring to Spring returning last year I loved the variations in the weather and the 'polite' UK rain. I never feared being flooded either, nor giant hail stones nor the violent electrical storms. Loved having seasons again and could always go out walking whatever the weather.

I prefer sunny days to dull, grey days especially if they go on for days and days but I never minded the short winter days at all in fact I quite enjoyed them. Used to go to work in the dark and go back home in the dark - never bothered me.

I found the short days depressing when back in UK at Christmas and that was only for a month...the cold was a novelty for about 2 days then I wanted sun again. The weather certainly affects my moods though that said when you're properly 'down' the weather has little to do with it....I could not live with the UK climate again through choice. If I had to I'd make the best of it but I prefer Perths climate...

I can remember the last long drought in Aus and waking up every day to a cloudless bright blue sky made me incredibly depressed, it was a horrible version of SAD. I like variety in my sky. What bemuses me about people here in UK is that you can have a glorious week then you have one grey day and in their minds that translates to a grey week!

I love the UK climate - short days for a while, long days for a while, cold, warm. The weather has stopped me doing what I want to do less than 10 times in the past 3 years - just wear the right clothing and Bob's your uncle!

I was just thinking, Denmark often ranks as the happiest country in the world or close to it. What's their weather like, so I looked it up.

It's almost identical to ours.

Maybe solidarity and equity are the true bedrock on which happiness is built? That's not to discount people who suffer with SAD in the winter. I just suspect the vast majority of people are not hugely affected by the weather (bar the obvious extremes), and simply accept it's many variances as part of life's rich tapestry.

I've never been affected mood wise by the weather (I'm not talking about extremes here).I just accept it for whatever it is,whether its sunny,raining and anything in between.I think a lot depends on your own attitude towards it.If I have a day off work and its raining?I just do stuff inside and look at it as a good opportunity to clean out cupboards,sort out clothes or whatever,bake etc.I then spend a couple of hours sat down relaxing in the arvo. Same as I did in Oz when it was too hot to go outside in the heat of the day.I am very tuned into nature,and I think that also helps.In winter I appreciate nature has gone to sleep lol I live fully in the present moment whatever the season. My sister OTOH,who lives in Adelaide detests winter with a vengeance. She absolutely hates it!lol I tried last year to point her to the positives?But nope she wasn't having a bar of it!

I just think people who's mood is dictated by weather are missing the more important things in life.Weather is really just a small part of life when you think about it. Yesterday arvo,I got rugged up,and sat outside with a glass of wine.Crazy?Probably but I tuned into the bird song,and the tree's rustling in the breeze and really,the weather was insignificant.

Guess I am rather lucky where I live.We have little rain and very very days of constant drizzle.Infact I cant recall a day when it was drizzling.

You know what they say though?There is no such thing as "bad"weather,just bad clothing!:cute:

The link doesn't seem to work? Not sure what it says but I find a sunny day can make quite a difference to my mood. Temperature doesn't matter but I find bright blue skies and sunshine help me feel like everything is alright with the world. That's not to say I feel down every time it is cloudy but I do often find my motivation is low when it's dull outside.

I'm the same. It's true for me to an extent. My mood is always better when the sun is out and it's a clear day. I do sometimes wonder if I suffer from SAD as during winter my mood is lower.

I think when I was younger and a bit more active the cold and damp of the UK bothered me less. Now I prefer to enjoy more relaxing leisure time I find that you are virtually excluded that outside between October and April which is a long old stint really.

Even when young though I remember getting out to play Sunday morning football with a gale blowing across the pitch and rain coming in sideways and hated it. Mind you I have played plenty of cricket matches like that and a few where it has either snowed or been cold enough to snow and those are worse. Or a frozen bumpy football pitch where the ball bounced stupidly high and the ground was like concrete when you went down in a tackle.

I don't think that spells of grey weather particularly in autumn and winter actually make me depressed though; a bit grumpy perhaps.

I'm the same. It's true for me to an extent. My mood is always better when the sun is out and it's a clear day. I do sometimes wonder if I suffer from SAD as during winter my mood is lower.

You may well do Britchix. I always think if your mood change is that noticeable its definitely worth investigating. I think there is treatment for it, a light box you sit in front of. Life's too short to spend months every year feeling blue.

You may well do Britchix. I always think if your mood change is that noticeable its definitely worth investigating. I think there is treatment for it, a light box you sit in front of. Life's too short to spend months every year feeling blue.

My uncle is in the UK and suffers from SAD. He sits under some sort of lamp and he says it does help a bit. Not as good as living somewhere sunny but he says it takes the edge off.

The UK weather never bothered me. Growing up in the Northern Hemisphere you just accept that there's going to be a lot of dark nights between late October and late March and that it's likely to be wet and often cold. Apart from when snow and ice caused problems with travel (relatively rarely) the weather never felt threatening, really it's just a bit bland.

In Australia though, I'm much more aware of the destructive power of nature. When we lived on the Gold Coast there was a continual risk of the house being flooded out, and driving through summer storms was pretty hairy. Fortunately we never experienced the devastation wreaked by cyclones on the north of the state.

Here in Melbourne when the temperature climbs into the high 30's / 40's (thankfully not the latter this summer at least) I'm always mindful of the dangers the heat poses. Whether it's limiting the amount of time my daughter spends outside, always wearing sun - hats / screen, having water with you, checking out that pets are hydrated and that our home is fire-safe as possible. Professionally, I've worked with survivors of the 2009 bush fires, and their tales of the devastation caused frankly terrified me. I'd like to think that the same couldn't happen in Melbourne, but, as global warming increases, who knows?

It does make me homesick for low clouds and light drizzle though!

It does make me homesick for low clouds and light drizzle though!

You would love it here today. Low cloud and drizzle and at 12:20 the temperature has just hit 6C. Was the same yesterday too. In the interests of balance expecting some sunshine tomorrow and return to double digit daytime temperatures. Won't be getting the garden furniture out just yet though but hopefully soon.

You would love it here today. Low cloud and drizzle and at 12:20 the temperature has just hit 6C. Was the same yesterday too. In the interests of balance expecting some sunshine tomorrow and return to double digit daytime temperatures. Won't be getting the garden furniture out just yet though but hopefully soon.

Perfick! :smile:

Your post reminded me, my fifteen year old daughter (who lives in Brisbane) sent me a snap chat the other day saying phew, only 25 degrees today. She can't wait for the Brisbane winter and loves her annual visit around Christmas to soak up some cold.

• 2 weeks later...

I miss the variety of the weather, love a cold winters day with the sun shining (or not!) get the walking boots on & go exploring. Dark nights meant cosy by the fire. Often had to play golf in the rain, just wear waterproofs!! This past summer has been a pain, sick of sweating & keeping my 2 year old indoors when it's too hot. But only 3 weeks & 5 days until I get back home, cannot blooming wait ?

I just got back from walking my dog. He had a great time playing in the falling, autumn leaves. It's pretty cool here first thing in the morning and at night but today it's too warm to wear a cardi or sweater - not a cloud in the sky and a light breeze.

The only time I've got really down about the weather was when we used to go abroad to a sunny climate for a few weeks and then fly back into Manchester. Usually the plane would be in bright sunshine and slowly descend through the clouds as it got closer to the airport. Me and the missus would look at each other and go "that's it for another year then".

Worst was when we went to Bermuda for a month and had to get the bus back to Manchester from Heathrow. I was a student at the time and my girlfriend (now wife) was a student Nurse, so we didn't have a lot of money.

The bus didn't go up the motorway but along A roads and past the road in Sparkhill where I had to move back to when Uni started. It rained the whole way and looked really grim. I hadn't bothered ringing for my results from my first year at Uni, the letter was still at home. When I opened it my parents and girlfriend thought I'd failed, as I had a look of disappointment on my face. It was just the thought of having to go back to Brum.

Archived