holiday first or just emigrate ??

Lucie1

Would you put 30 grand down on a poker table.....? That's how much it's going to cost if you don't like it, how strange you wouldn't visit place you want to move too, I know I'll look on the Internet. ....! glossy pictures

I reckon at least a couple of million people did it in the early days...And very few went back to their original homes...

Cheers, Bobj.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is really not a bad idea - a kind of Airbnb for prospective migrants, live with someone similar to yourself for a couple of weeks and really understand what it's like to live there or at least get a better picture.

You could set up a matching agency and take a fee!

We hosted au-pairs and students when we lived in Perth and it was great meeting people from many different cultures and shattering their illusions about Australia :)

Did you set out to do that or was it just living with you that shattered their Illusions?:wink:

I don't know what illusions those people came with but Perth lived up to everything we thought it might. Every visitor we've had, including some of our families, who were hoping for something negative, loved it here and every one of them said we'd done the right thing.

My boyfriend has never been to Australia...and we move out there with him on a subclass 100 visa in August. Just go for it, if you don't like it then go back to the uk xx

I think that's good advice if it's just you and the boyfriend, because for you it's going to cost about the same as a holiday. For a family with kids, who have to ship a containerful of furniture (or sell/give away a heap of perfectly good stuff and replace it all with new), buy a family car, and then survive on no income for several weeks while they look for jobs, a move can easily cost $50,000. Then if they don't like it, it will cost them another $50,000 to go back to the UK.

To the OP, I would just think very carefully and probably I would take the holiday in hindsight. I didn't move to Australia, we emigrated to Christchurch NZ without having been here before. Now we are moving to Sydney, but the whole thing has cost us a huge sum of money! Dont get me wrong, we have enjoyed our time here, but not visiting before was a mistake. I felt bad about the situation here but disliked Christchurch from the min I arrived, we stayed 2 years but ultimately that feeling hasnt changed. We have friends and family in Australia - we should have just gone straight there really.

Each to their own but to give you an idea our move from UK to NZ cost about $80k and now we are spending another $30k moving to Sydney (both of those moves had full relocation packages, but it still cost that to get set up) Spend wisely, but my advice would be visit first, but as others said try to live your visit as normal life. Get up in morning and try the commute etc...

Hope you like Sydney!!!

I had fully committed before going anywhere near australia, on the basis of if I don't like it, I can go back.. but that's me, if I didnt do that, it would have been consigned to the 'gonna' file and I could well still be back in the UK. But that was just me, sold all my stuff, flat rented out and gone. if you've got kids/pets/houses and what not it's probably not as simple as upping sticks overnight

Depends - are you the type that thinks Phil Spencer does his show out of the goodness of his heart or as a money making enterprise?

Might sound like a random question but I really do think some people in the UK think programs like his are actually some kind of public service. They aren't. They exist to make money and they make money because they are popular, and they are popular because it is human nature to think the grass is greener.

Have you ever been to the US? Aussie is like the US but with some UK traits.. And yes, in some parts it has about as much gun crime as the US too.

Beaches are nice though - esp in WA. Very large chance you won't be in a position to live near em though.......

Our first trip here was to film WDU so we didn't take any notice of that trip in our decision (other than the twirly flag bit for the camera's).

We just thought what the hell and booked our flights. Yesterday was three years since we landed and we've never looked back.

I just don't think that a two week holiday would benefit you much even if you crammed a lot into it. If you wouldn't have even applied for your visa's a lot can change by the time you came permanently. What's the worst that can happen really? Even if it costs you a chunk of money to move over and it doesn't work out then at least you can look back and say you gave it a go. Means more than money to me.

Depends - are you the type that thinks Phil Spencer does his show out of the goodness of his heart or as a money making enterprise?

Might sound like a random question but I really do think some people in the UK think programs like his are actually some kind of public service. They aren't. They exist to make money and they make money because they are popular, and they are popular because it is human nature to think the grass is greener.

Have you ever been to the US? Aussie is like the US but with some UK traits.. And yes, in some parts it has about as much gun crime as the US too.

Beaches are nice though - esp in WA. Very large chance you won't be in a position to live near em though.......

Much larger chance of being able to do it if you emigrate though.:wink:

Speaking from my own personal experience , march 2014 i was invited to attend my sisters wedding on Fraser Island in QLD . I had NEVER thought of even going to Australia before then even for a holiday as it was never on my bucket list.

So we booked our flights and we had 3 weeks to spend in Oz , we flew into Brisbane and were only suppose to stay in Brissy for 2 days but we loved it that much we stayed for 1 week.

We hired a car and drove up to Fraser Island ,attended the wedding and then drove up to Hervey Bay and then onto Bundaberg before spending the last few days in Brisbane.

The last few days i spent in Brisbane i had time to reflect on my experience in Oz and after serious thought i said to myself " im moving to Oz"

Came back to the UK , approached a Visa agent and started the ball rolling. Since then I have sold my two business's,all my assets, im now at the tail end of my 189 Visa and just have my dogs to sort passports for once my visa is approved.

My point to all this would be .....Go for a holiday, i know it is a costly expense but you really need to experience Australia before making a permanent commitment ,2-3 weeks should be plenty of time to soak up the culture and sights. Then once you get back to the UK you will hopefully have a better idea of what you want to do . It is a massive step moving abroad , im 29 and single so i just have me and my two dogs to move but a family I can imagine it being even more of a big step.

I hope all goes well for you and please keep us all updated with your decision

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely, a holiday first... Perth is basically split into NOR or SOR North of the river or South of the river house prices vary NOR being more expensive sometimes. Perth in general is very expensive and rent is just crazy. I am selling 2 bedroom apartment in Scarborough (beach side) for over $500000. You don't get a lot for your money.

• 1 month later...
Do you just take the plunge and emigrate or visit first ??

I had a year here on a Working Holiday Visa and travelled around NSW, QLD and NT. A few years after that, I had a six week holiday here and travelled around NSW, QLD and VIC. So when I eventually emigrated here I basically knew which areas I liked and which areas I didn't.

If you are a non-whiny sort of person, have a bit of backbone, have a bit of get-up-and-go, are up for adventure, have a positive attitude and know how to turn your lemons into lemonade; then just take the plunge I say.

Otherwise a holiday first is recommended. But two weeks is not long enough. It takes me a week to get over the jet-lag on such a long trip. Can you do 4 - 6 weeks instead?

We've been out there twice in the last 5 years, so glad we did, it gave us a really good idea the area and where we want to live, I also met with potential employers. Many people go without visiting, but I couldn't imagine moving somewhere I'd never been :)

• 1 month later...

We are a family of four and have never been to Austrailia but are hoping to get our visa 189 by November and head for Perth, mandurah we are thinking at present and see what happens, if we don't like it we will just come home but at least we can always say we tried :-)

We've been out there twice in the last 5 years, so glad we did, it gave us a really good idea the area and where we want to live, I also met with potential employers. Many people go without visiting, but I couldn't imagine moving somewhere I'd never been :)

We moved to Brisbane having never visited the city. Went to Perth, Adelaide, Sydney and Cairns but not Brissie - didn't regret our choice though

We are a family of four and have never been to Austrailia but are hoping to get our visa 189 by November and head for Perth, mandurah we are thinking at present and see what happens, if we don't like it we will just come home but at least we can always say we tried :-)

Mandurah is lovely :-)

We live in Mandurah and love it . We came with a 16 year old and a 9 year old, and we had never set foot in Australia. This was 5 years ago and honestly a reccie would have told us nothing that we needed to know. So long as you research, research and research some more you won't have too many surprises.

Mandurah is a bit far out and lacking in jobs. You would stand more chance of a job, depending on what you do I suppose, a bit closer to Perth. You can get on the train every day but it's a longish trip. Mandurah is a nice place for a visit but is a bit quite and too far away from the City for me.