Frozen Berries Recall

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

MORE frozen berry products have been recalled due to possible hepatitis A contamination, with at least five people contracting the infection in the food scare.

Victorian company Patties Foods announced today it was expanding its recall to include all 300g and 500g packs of Creative Gourmet Mixed Berries.

On Saturday, all 1kg packs of Nanna’s Frozen Mixed Berries were recalled when the Victorian Health Department warned of a potential Hepatitis A contamination.

Patties Foods CEO Steven Chaur said the wider recall was a precautionary measure.

“We have decided that all our frozen Mixed Berries should be recalled until such time as we receive the results of further laboratory tests,” Mr Chaur said.

“The recall is an important step to ensure public safety and confidence.” The suspect berries were packed in China before distribution in Australia.

At least three people in Victoria, and two in NSW, who have eaten the frozen berries have since been diagnosed with hepatitis A.

Symptoms include abdominal pain, nausea and fever as well as yellow skin and eyes, and anyone experiencing these symptoms are urged to see a doctor.

“An investigation by all health agencies is underway but at this early stage we are not sure how many people may be affected,” said Dr Vicky Shepherd, director of NSW Health’s Communicable Diseases Branch.

“There is the potential that others may be sick with hepatitis A now, or develop the disease over the coming weeks.” Supermarkets have been told to pull all of the recalled berry products from sale.

Households who have the recalled products in their freezer are advised to bin them, or return them to the place of purchase for a cash refund.

Hepatitis A is spread when traces of faecal matter containing the virus come in contact with hands, water or food and then enter a person’s mouth.

* Concerned consumers can call Patties Foods on 1800 650 069. RECALLED: * Nanna’s Mixed Berries 1kg, up to and including Best Before Date 22/11/16 * Creative Gourmet Mixed Berries 300g, up to and including Best Before Date 10/12/17 * Creative Gourmet Mixed Berries 500g, up to and including Best Before Date 06/10/17.

Checked the freezer and ours were Nannas, so out they go. Teach me to read labels properly as I never buy frozen food not made in Australia normally.... well certainly not since I saw a program on SBS a few years ago about how the Chinese use human excrement as fertiliser for vegies!

Checked the freezer and ours were Nannas, so out they go. Teach me to read labels properly as I never buy frozen food not made in Australia normally.... well certainly not since I saw a program on SBS a few years ago about how the Chinese use human excrement as fertiliser for vegies!

We stick to food from Australia and New Zealand for the same reason.

Oh my :elvis: Didnt know that :confused:

many years ago when I was living on the Gold Coast I had a Chinese girlfriend (for a short period of time)......on about our second date she asked me up to her place at Southport for dinner. I went outside to have a smoke and found her squatting in her vege garden having a pee. I inquired what she was doing and she said it was good fertilizer and was good for the veges. When I sat down for dinner I thought to myself.....I hope you've washed the Bok Choi well lol

If it's reduced or on special in the basket it goes ! Never looked where it came from but will be doing from now on :no:

Guest guest90395

I have bought these before but wouldn't have if I'd realised they were imported from Chile and China. I really don't understand the need given the range of fruit that can be grown here - we perceive local goods to be expensive just because imported ones cost less, possibly without understanding why.

Me too. We now have the ludicrous situation where Australia is being flooded with frozen fruit and vegetables from China - because it's cheaper, and that's all most consumers care about - while Australian fruit and vegetables are in high demand in China because the Chinese don't trust the health standards of their own producers.

My personal gripe now is not being able to find any tinned asparagus which doesn't come from China or Peru....and I won't buy either.

So do the Swiss and probably a few other countries. I was flabbergasted! Outside the larger towns most houses have tanks for toilet waste and water waste as they are not on mains. Big tankers came to empty them periodically then squirted the contents onto the fields. That was when I was working there nearly 40 years ago so perhaps it's not happening now. Funny thing though, I never heard of anybody getting sick.

This thread started ringing distant bells and I found this web link from 12 months ago (as far as I know the situation hasn't changed). Certain foods from NZ can be problematic because they are actually sourced from China then packaged in NZ and imported into Oz with a "Product of New Zealand" label.

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2014/02/china-uses-nz-for-backdoor-food-entry-to-australia/

This thread started ringing distant bells and I found this web link from 12 months ago (as far as I know the situation hasn't changed). Certain foods from NZ can be problematic because they are actually sourced from China then packaged in NZ and imported into Oz with a "Product of New Zealand" label.

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2014/02/china-uses-nz-for-backdoor-food-entry-to-australia/

OMG I didn't realise that. Thanks for the link.

Who knows ? The Coles one could be from the same factory too.

Bit sad when you find out the berries inside are from China.

What isn't? I hate the way they manipulate people with the "granny's wholesome lentil soup from her country kitchen" spiel when it's from a poorly-regulated industrial facility in Shandong.

Archived