Red back dilemma

fossda

Advice please

Hubby and I are a tad tipsy on too many daiquiris !!

Just seen a red back outside the front door. Our first nasty in over 4 months ? Kids are now freaking, we have no spray or anything here. Do we leave it alone or kill it ? Can they get under the front door or are they relatively unagressive - should we leave it. Please please advise. Many thanks in advance xxx

Just leave it alone. Redbacks are not great wanderers and nor are they particularly aggressive AND, nor are they particularly deadly. A bite would be very painful and if left untreated in a small child, could be deadly but ant-ivenom is readily available and it works very well. There has not been a single death in Australia since 1981 when the anti-venom first became available. NOT ONE!

I must say though, that I can't see how anyone could manage in Australia without both flying insect and crawling insect spray. Get a tin of each.

Edited by Ozmaniac
Spelling

Advice please

Just seen a red back outside the front door. Our first nasty in over 4 months  Kids are now freaking, we have no spray or anything here. Do we leave it alone or kill it ? Can they get under the front door or are they relatively unagressive - should we leave it. Please please advise. Many thanks in advance xxx

Just hit it with a thong or something similar.....it's only a redback....not a bloody spitting Cobra.

I have spotted a few in the last couple of months in the house and garage and have killed them. I think the house was due for a spray but I was moving out so didn't worry. I have to confess I stood on them. Normally I would not bother but got a bad bite from a white tail shortly after I arrived and didn't really want a repeat.

Advice please

Just seen a red back outside the front door. Our first nasty in over 4 months  Kids are now freaking, we have no spray or anything here. Do we leave it alone or kill it ? Can they get under the front door or are they relatively unagressive - should we leave it. Please please advise. Many thanks in advance xxx

It’s important for several reasons that you kill it ASAP. Either squash it with something or wait till you buy a spray, and make sure you get rid of any egg sac you can see as well.

I see that I was mistaken about the need for insect sprays. Maybe its something to do with living in the bush in the sub-tropics or being originally from Melbourne where flies were a problem. I stand corrected.

I don't think you were wrong at all. I can speak for Perth and Adelaide and insect spray is a necessity. I've been on walks along the beach in Adelaide where people walked past me with bee-keeper style mozzie nets over their heads, such was the problem. Even on hot days when walking along the beach dunes I was forced to wear a hoodie, zipped to the top, and wave a bunch of grasses I had picked for the purpose non-stop in front of my face to keep the flies off. I went outside the other night for around 10 seconds on my front porch and came in with a mozzie bite on my ankle. As I have said before, along with the barking dogs in every garden the insects are the worst thing about life in Australia.

We are freaked out after finding a centipede the size of a dog in the bedroom! It took 2 stamps from my partners work boots to kill the buggar that moved faster than a formula 1 driver as it retreated into the ensuite & thankfully died!!! We are now moving the covers of the bed back & checking the entire bedroom before we can sleep! They can't kill us but hell they are scary looking !!

We are freaked out after finding a centipede the size of a dog in the bedroom! It took 2 stamps from my partners work boots to kill the buggar that moved faster than a formula 1 driver as it retreated into the ensuite & thankfully died!!! We are now moving the covers of the bed back & checking the entire bedroom before we can sleep! They can't kill us but hell they are scary looking !!

One of the worst things you can be stung by. I had a drill team years ago who would amuse themselves by collecting any "nasties" they could find and spend the evenings getting them to fight in buckets - for bets. The centipede won every time. That would be against scorpions, spiders and all sorts.

I found one in my daughter's beach bucket. I tipped it out and killed it with a shoe. No way was I leaving it around my children.

We had one the other week in the garage, same fate.

Wouldn't it be a better lesson to teach your children to respect all creatures @Alaska and to learn about them rather than kill them ?

That is what I would have done anyway.

Hi all , when you have been in Australia a while you will realize red backs are no threat. Not dangerous and tend to build messy webs where they can. They are not wanderers and honestly they become part of your life in Australia. I live in Perth ( loads here) we all live together in harmony but they are rarely found inside. Just teach your children to not route in pots or cob web areas without supervision. It's common sense really. Oh and now the hot weather has hit keep your kids out of coastal sand dunes for goodness sake. Snakes love these dunes and kids should not be running about in them . ( silly mother the other day thinking it was cool letting her child run a muck in there.) idiot. Happy Christmas all :)

Our last house but one was riddled with them. We got used to checking the patio furniture and most importantly - don't muck around in the garden and poke fingers into leaf litter and holes in brickwork without gloves. I do spray but as we have a pet snake we have to be careful. I spray anything that moves but it really is very foolish..... Some of the things I spray (huntsmen spiders and cockroaches) do less damage than breathing in the toxic fumes of the Mortein.

Well, having once spent an evening in A&E with DS 2, then about 10, with a bite from a redback (on the lane ropes at the AIS for heaven's sake) I would say squash the bugger and any of its little friends. We lived without insect sprays for decades but had a judicious squash policy whenever undesirables came calling. Most of the time they weren't a bother and the kids knew what they were being very interested in Struan Sutherland's book on Australia's venomous creatures (boys will be boys!)

Our last house but one was riddled with them. We got used to checking the patio furniture and most importantly - don't muck around in the garden and poke fingers into leaf litter and holes in brickwork without gloves. I do spray but as we have a pet snake we have to be careful. I spray anything that moves but it really is very foolish..... Some of the things I spray (huntsmen spiders and cockroaches) do less damage than breathing in the toxic fumes of the Mortein.

Huntsmen don't do any damage.......leave our bloody Huntsmen alone ya bloody pom :wink: