Red back dilemma

fossda

Hi all , when you have been in Australia a while you will realize red backs are no threat. Not dangerous and tend to build messy webs where they can. They are not wanderers and honestly they become part of your life in Australia. I live in Perth ( loads here) we all live together in harmony but they are rarely found inside. Just teach your children to not route in pots or cob web areas without supervision. It's common sense really. Oh and now the hot weather has hit keep your kids out of coastal sand dunes for goodness sake. Snakes love these dunes and kids should not be running about in them . ( silly mother the other day thinking it was cool letting her child run a muck in there.) idiot. Happy Christmas all :)

Not sure if the dunes thing is purely coincidental or responding to my comment but we have great boardwalk going through ours so don't need to enter them, which would be stupid as I have seen brown snakes in them.

Official advice is to remove redbacks from your property, usually by killing them, and this is because while some people do not react to their bites, others react very badly, especially young children, and redbacks are responsible for more antivenom being given than any other creature in Australia, biting 10,000 people per year. Its envenomation is neurotoxic and potentially fatal for children. Also sometimes there can be severe allergic reaction, including anaphylactic shock to the antivenom. That is why advice is to kill them.

Not sure if the dunes thing is purely coincidental or responding to my comment but we have great boardwalk going through ours so don't need to enter them, which would be stupid as I have seen brown snakes in them.

Official advice is to remove redbacks from your property, usually by killing them, and this is because while some people do not react to their bites, others react very badly, especially young children, and redbacks are responsible for more antivenom being given than any other creature in Australia, biting 10,000 people per year. Its envenomation is neurotoxic and potentially fatal for children. Also sometimes there can be severe allergic reaction, including anaphylactic shock to the antivenom. That is why advice is to kill them.

nobody has died from a redback spider bite in well over 50 years.

I think more harm can be done to you by using all these awful sprays than the remote chance you are going to be bitten by an insect We have been hear 32 years and I have only had one spider bite ,and that was weeding into deep foliage without any protection on my hands , Not sprays, but gardening gloves. I really think in years down the track we will be hearing how dangerous insecticides are and people will be suffering with using them