Armed Siege in Sydney

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

A number of hostages have been taken in a siege in Sydney's CBD.

At least three people can be seen through the windows of a cafe in Martin Place with their hands raised.

An Islamic flag has also been seen hanging in the window of the Lindt Chocolat Cafe.

Witnesses have reported hearing loud bangs that sounded like gun shots.

One block of Martin Place has been cordoned off between Elizabeth Street and Phillip Street.

Dozens of police cars are at the scene and one police officer has drawn his gun.

Police have urged members of the public to avoid the area.

The Channel Seven newsroom opposite the cafe has been evacuated.

More to come.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-15/hostages-sydney-cafe-martin-place-police-operation/5967232

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those poor people - I can't imagine how terrified they must be. The Channel 7 site has a picture of two hostages holding a black flag against the window. It isn't an ISIS flag but it reads (in Arabic) "There is no God but Allah and Mohammed is the messenger of God" which is apparently a 'Shahada' testimony of faith flag.

I fear this won't end well.

Edited by Ozmaniac
Update of info

Guest The Pom Queen
Anything to confirm that? Seems an odd time to perform an exercise.

The armed men called the radio station and said they have planted packages across the CBD so I don't think it's a training exercise. I wish you were right though Parley

How do we get through to these sad, sick people that there is nothing worth killing for or dying for? That there is no god, all religions are false and were created by primitive people to explain what they didn't understand.

You're not going to persuade a billion Muslims of that. If it gets to the point that people are afraid to go out and bombs going off all over the place it will end in internment, anyway. You can't have an entire democracy brought to its knees by a few hundred crackerjacks.

Horrible.What`s wrong with some people :mad:.... I work 2 minutes away from there and had a colleague picked up our morning coffee from Lindt`s yesterday. Martin place is always so busy, kudos to the police for the speedy evacuation, must have been very difficult to get so many out of there so quickly. I am worried that they aren`t making any demands..... hope that all the hostages make it out of there safe.

I hope it is all sorted peacefully.

I also hope @MARYROSE02 and any other sudneysiders on the forum are ok.

checked my daughter is ok, she was caught up in the London bombings, and usually caught the bus to work that was blown up, but had gone into work early that day. She had to walk miles to get home, but was safe.

my family seems to have been lucky thank God so far.

Son and wife went up the twin towers the day before they were attacked, and then would you believe in Bali, Kuta a couple of days before that terrorist attack.

hope everyone gets out safe with no one harmed.

checked my daughter is ok, she was caught up in the London bombings, and usually caught the bus to work that was blown up, but had gone into work early that day. She had to walk miles to get home, but was safe.

my family seems to have been lucky thank God so far.

Son and wife went up the twin towers the day before they were attacked, and then would you believe in Bali, Kuta a couple of days before that terrorist attack.

hope everyone gets out safe with no one harmed.

Jeez Ramot, they've had more than their fair share of bad and good luck. Actions like this just drive a deeper wedge between communities, make people more suspicious of each other and make people more fearful. Sadly that is exactly why this sort of thing happens. Get publicity, make a few more from some communities feel like they are going to be looked at with even more suspicion and probably lead to a few more radicals wanting to go and fight for ISIS/ISIL.

Sad state of affairs all round.