How old is too old?

Beka14

Good morning everyone

as title suggests, I beginning to wonder and let the doubts creep in about whether or not we are too old to be starting again. We are both mid thirties with 2 kids, and for as long as I have remembered wanted to move down under. Now that it's nearly here I'm starting to have jitters about a Few things.. What your opinion?

Beka

We applied for my visa just before I turned 40 (before we lost points for age), in our 40's when visa granted, mid 40's when arrived in OZ, coming upto 60 now and no regrets. Arrived with working age teenage kids were troubled initially, but both now class Aus as home, with daughter now married to an Aussie.

You're never too old to be starting again. We have two kids, my wife is mid thirties, I am near the end of the mid thirties... We are starting again next Easter! The only time age comes into it is when you are too old and regret that you didn't have a go!

Started afresh here at 47 with 2 rug rats in tow.................from a 2 income family in the UK, to a one income family here. We got here before the property boom and prices were good so had a lot of luck on our side. Don't doubt though that if times had been as they are now, we'd still be alright..............depends how much you think something is worth fighting/struggling for.

Good morning everyone

as title suggests, I beginning to wonder and let the doubts creep in about whether or not we are too old to be starting again. We are both mid thirties with 2 kids, and for as long as I have remembered wanted to move down under. Now that it's nearly here I'm starting to have jitters about a Few things.. What your opinion?

Beka

Wow I wish I'd been your age! Much better when the kids are younger. Myself and most of my friends came out post 40 with teenagers in tow.

In my oppinion age is a number and only a problem when you cant do something you want to do because your age determines you are not allowed I.e cut off age for applying for a visa...dont let age determine your choices until it restricts them for you

Nice in theory but IMHO there is a sort of cut off - mid 30s you should be fine, your kids are young so you still have freedom to move if it doesnt work, you still have enough time to put into a decent superannuation pot and you shouldnt be disadvantaged by being too old to get jobs.

I think late 40s is pushing the limit pragmatically - your kids are likely to be teens and moving teens in either direction can be fraught, especially if it goes pear shaped and you want to move on to UK and they've missed the GCSE/domestic Uni fees boat. You will be working longer to get a half decent super payment for retirement and once you hit the big 50 unless you have a very enlightened boss or a super skill set then finding work becomes exponentially harder. If, of course, you are very well off then many of these barriers are instantly overcome because money would be no object but, unfortunately, there arent too many in that position.

I hope mid 30s is not to old. Me and my wife are both mid 30s with 4 kids (the oldest nearly 13 and the youngest 3yrs) and were planning on making the move next year, if our visa application goes alright.

We did look at making the move about 5 years ago but just couldn't afford it then. We are doing it now before my oldest starts his exams and gets himself a girlfriend and doesn't want to leave everything for an adventure to the other side of the world.

Well I'm doing alright. We moved 7 weeks ago and I celebrated my 47th birthday last week. Also I have an 18 year old who has moved with us. There's never a 'good' time to move IMO. If you look to closely you will always find a reason why you shouldn't.

We were in our early (me) to mid (hubby) 30's when we moved. Our children were 3 and 8. It has worked out great for us and we celebrate 8 years here, in a few days. If you are able to give a shot ,i would definitely do it, we have no real regrets, although missing family can be tough at times.

Lots of luck with everything

Cal x

Hi there, who knows. Its not as if you are a prisioner here, you can allways return. I moved in my early 40s with my younger wife. We now are parents x2 and love it here. But is hard work. First thing first is job and visa etc. Where you move to maybe less important than you think. I f you have a visa and no work then the move will fail. Good luck

Hi all

thanks for all you replys, some great stories! Well done to all those who have already made the move and good luck to those who are soon to do so. Your opinions and stories have settled my nerves a little and nothing ventured nothing gained I suppose. We have family in oz and have been over 4/5 times so kind of know what we're going to although I know holidays are different to actually living there. Anyway all going well, we should be make the move 2015. Will keep you's updated on how it all goes.. Thank again

Beka x

Archived