Don't know what to do stay or risk it!

Mac ahah

My husband has been offered a job on a 457 visa in Adelaide which we are thrilled about, but he is 50, so PR will never be an option, I am 47 and work in the hospitality trade, but not a cook or chef, I have been told I would have a better chance trying to prove myself to an employer that I can do the job once in the country, but I am worried that this might not happen, and we would have to return to the UK after 4 years, we are also taking 3 kids with us, I would hate them to get settled and then have to up route them, having lots of sleepless nights! don't know what to do!

To be sponsored yourself, even if the employer is willing etc, your occupation must be on the sol or csol.

Personally I wouldn't do it. The chances are you will have to leave after the four years. I know many people who would be devastated if they felt settled here and then had to leave.

4 years in Australia is a lot better than none.

It would be a wonderful life experience for the family and children. Something they would never forget.

Of course one thing is guaranteed. If you don't come you have 0% chance of getting PR.

I would definitely do it.

4 years in Australia is a lot better than none.

It would be a wonderful life experience for the family and children. Something they would never forget.

Of course one thing is guaranteed. If you don't come you have 0% chance of getting PR.

I would definitely do it.

Wonderful life experience or not, the probability is they do the 4 years and don't gain PR and have to return. The job market for over 50's isn't great anywhere from what I read. Returning to the UK could be tough.

Sure there are plenty who do jump at 4 years in Aus but over 50 with 3 kids, I'd be very cautious personally.

........depends on what you want to gain from the experience....

........and wether you can limit the negative practicalities of a return.....

........if you want the experience.......

........prepared to look at it as a short term gain.....

.........why not.....

.........if it fullfills your needs and wants....you all agree...

.........I would .......!

My husband has been offered a job on a 457 visa in Adelaide which we are thrilled about, but he is 50, so PR will never be an option, I am 47 and work in the hospitality trade, but not a cook or chef, I have been told I would have a better chance trying to prove myself to an employer that I can do the job once in the country, but I am worried that this might not happen, and we would have to return to the UK after 4 years, we are also taking 3 kids with us, I would hate them to get settled and then have to up route them, having lots of sleepless nights! don't know what to do!

We came out to Adelaide on a 457 years ago.

But my husbands employer applied for a PR as soon as we got here .

This was all in his contract of employment.

We came with 2 sons 17 and 14.But our Pr Visa was an unusual one a labour agreement one.

We would not have come out without the prospect of quick application for Pr.

In your case I think that it would be best, to ask for a Pr visa from the beginning and not to come out on a 457.

If this is not possible I would not be come.

From what i know, depending on what you do, you employer might be able to apply for a PR for you under special agreements. My dad got his PR done at 53 under a special agreement. You might wanna ask if that is an option.

It is also possible that the 457 can be renewed after the first 4 years (even though as many people say, the uncertainty of "living" here on a PR is too hard to deal with), i have known people who have been here over 3 rounds of 457s and so it is possible, i would say that depends on your occupation as well. the people i know who have "lived" here on the 457s happen to be doctors. they seem to be the most secure occupation i know of.

3rd option like some people before me have said, is to consider this a long vacation for the family. a chance to see another part of the world and experience a different culture. If your kids like it a lot, even if you have to leave, they can come back on WHVs and/or gain skills that qualify them for skilled migration and they can end up coming back and staying here. if they don't, they get to go back.

I would give it a go, but definitely bring up the issue of maybe trying for a PR with the employer.

My $19.14. Goodluck

I think you would have a chance of an extention once your here, and given the circumstances, you could apply for PR on humanitarian grounds because the kids are here and want to become citizens.

Might be worth dropping a line to a Law firm in Australia that deal with migration.

http://www.findlaw.com.au/articles/4297/how-are-permanent-residency-visas-granted-in-austr.aspx

There is no point getting your hopes up about PR and certainly not PR on humanitarian grounds! I have read it all now.

I believe you already know the situation OP from what you have said in your first post. Your husband cannot get PR from the offset because of his age, he would need to work four years, earning more than the high income threshold and have an employer still willing to sponsor for PR at that time. An awful lot of planets would have to line up for you to get PR now.

If it were just the two of you, well yes I would probably still be worried about it at age 50, finding work and moving jobs becomes a lot harder at that age, i.e. for the unsponsored person and if you have to go back. With children, no I wouldn't even think about it. They are bound to get settled, make new friends, find boyfriends / girlfriends perhaps and be devastated if you have to up and leave.

So it's a "no way" from me too.

Sorry but for me it would be a no. Speaking as a mother, I wouldn't wish to unsettle my children. Yes, it's a great opportunity but it's a massive undertaking and hugely stressful too leaving everyone, putting down new roots and the sheer isolation of it all.

Good luck with your decision, good to read everyones opinions but ultimately you know your family and situation the best.

You don't say how old your children are, and what their aspirations are. this could seriously mess up any education aspirations they may have.

for instance they could end up wanting to go to UNI . In Australia they would be on international fees no grant. Same in UK if they have been away for more than 3 years. If they are working now they may not be able to be added to the visa. If they work in Australia they may not be able to be added to any PR visa.

Also some states charge extra fees for children of 457 holders just for basic education.

I do think you need to consider the consequences carefully.

We had a provisional visa under business skills, but after careful consideration we ensured we had PR before upping sticks as we are now in our 50 s. OH applied for a 187 the week before he turned 50. Even though we had a provisional visa ( more secure than a temp one). We decided it was too much of a risk.

we brought one son 21 as he had dropped out of uni for the second time and was depressed, it has taken 6 months but he is now thriving. Although I do not think he will stay once he is on his feet financially and mentally. The other son is about to start a PHD in the UK.

we came over once before in 2007 and things have changed since then here, it is definitely more expensive for housing and the job market is much tighter.

Might be fine for you two to have a four year adventure but the knock on effects for the kids need to be considered.

You don't say how old your children are, and what their aspirations are. this could seriously mess up any education aspirations they may have.

for instance they could end up wanting to go to UNI . In Australia they would be on international fees no grant. Same in UK if they have been away for more than 3 years. If they are working now they may not be able to be added to the visa. If they work in Australia they may not be able to be added to any PR visa.

Also some states charge extra fees for children of 457 holders just for basic education.

I do think you need to consider the consequences carefully.

We had a provisional visa under business skills, but after careful consideration we ensured we had PR before upping sticks as we are now in our 50 s. OH applied for a 187 the week before he turned 50. Even though we had a provisional visa ( more secure than a temp one). We decided it was too much of a risk.

we brought one son 21 as he had dropped out of uni for the second time and was depressed, it has taken 6 months but he is now thriving. Although I do not think he will stay once he is on his feet financially and mentally. The other son is about to start a PHD in the UK.

we came over once before in 2007 and things have changed since then here, it is definitely more expensive for housing and the job market is much tighter.

Might be fine for you two to have a four year adventure but the knock on effects for the kids need to be considered.

Agree with the expense and tighter job market comment. We left Oz in 2008 and returned earlier this year and have definately found this to be the case.

Simple answer - no.

As the others have said, your chances of PR are very slim to none and unless you can wangle that straight off the bat then it would be very foolhardy. I'm guessing that as you are both older that your kids are teens or approaching teens in which case it would be madness to bugger about with their education when you run a very real risk of having to return. Not to mention facing finding employment when well over 50 (unless early retirement is financially possible)

You don't even say what his package would be - that's the usual question from temp visa holders as what may seem like a lot of money from a UK perspective is, in fact, beans on toast money!

I really do think you have missed the boat here, sorry.

I saw on another thread that two of your kids were aged 17 and 19. Besides all the other considerations already mentioned within 4 years there is the chance of a serious LTR for one or both. They would then either have to separate and return or try to stay and separate from you. Would you be fine with the idea that you could be split up from one or two of your children permanently 4 years from now as a direct consequence of taking this opportunity.

Having an adventure on a 457 is all very well but at the stage that you and your kids are in life you are opening up a pandora's box of future issues. Your current life in the UK would have to be awful to even consider doing it IMO.

If you would love to see Oz your best option is to save for a long holiday once retired I suggest.

We went on the 457 in 2011 when OH was 49. We always knew PR would be tricky, but it was just us 2 no kids. Before even considering this, decide now if you as a family can deal with it being a temporary experience. Anything extra at this point is going to be a bonus. If you think you would like 4 years in Aus, then enjoy it, and be realistic you will go home once it is over. If this were to be the case for me, I would be expecting a very good package, including both relocation fees and a company car. It could be a lucrative deal if the company are willing, and you will get a great experience.

If, on the other hand, you are honestly hoping this will turn into a PR route, stop now and do nothing more until a good migration agent has advised you. Once you are in Aus, you may spend every waking moment trying to find a PR route, it is hard work, stressful, expensive...you may not live life enjoying Aus, but worrying about getting your PR, and that would be a shame.... So, just be realistic and well informed from the start, and good luck with your choice!

I think you would have a chance of an extention once your here, and given the circumstances, you could apply for PR on humanitarian grounds because the kids are here and want to become citizens.

Might be worth dropping a line to a Law firm in Australia that deal with migration.

http://www.findlaw.com.au/articles/4297/how-are-permanent-residency-visas-granted-in-austr.aspx

Humanitarian grounds because the kids don't want to leave? :eek:

I'm 56. We came over aged 42. We had PR as teachers then - now have citizenship. IMO only come over if its an adventure for say 2 years. Do NOT sell your home. We'd go back if we could.

Oz is very very expensive now. Jobs are not as plentiful. The politics are becoming very rightwing. It's not all milk and honey, but you'd possibly do well for a couple of years.

I'm 56. We came over aged 42. We had PR as teachers then - now have citizenship. IMO only come over if its an adventure for say 2 years. Do NOT sell your home. We'd go back if we could.

Oz is very very expensive now. Jobs are not as plentiful. The politics are becoming very rightwing. It's not all milk and honey, but you'd possibly do well for a couple of years.

And then again 2 years could be a very expensive venture, kids could get very unsettled and education disrupted and the OP and their partner could be disadvantaged returning to the UK as unemployed 50-somethings...

Archived