Nits , we all gone through it

tonyman

Only way to do it is to use a nit comb and thoroughly work through every bit of hair. You need to do this every third day for a few weeks and eventually they will be gone. Very time consuming. The lotions help but definately don't work alone, its the combing that does the trick.

I agree. Once I have treated it with the chemical stuff I make my girls comb in the shower with tea tree oil conditioner every 2nd day. Apparently the nits don't like tea tree oil. It's been a while since we had it now my girls are older but that's how we avoided repeated infestations.

I always used the conditioner method (very time consuming with three long haired daughters!). You've probably tried it, but it was the only thing that worked properly for us (why did they always end the school term with the little buggers, so I had to spend holidays in Europe with a nit comb??!!).

Condition every day and comb through thoroughly with a nit comb. Every day for over a week (7 day life cycle iirc) then I'd do it very other day for another week. Then spray with tea tree oil. For some reason lice don't like it.

others swear by this http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/nitty-gritty-nitfree-comb/prd-gl2?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Brand%20%7C%20PLA&utm_content=sRxW8sVnY%7Cdt_pcrid_24645831011

I prefer the combing method though. It's the only thing I found worked longer term. They are a pain in the bum though. Good luck!

I'm sure I saw somewhere ages ago that one option is to use a comb to get out as many as possible and then put mayonaisse all over the hair (and leave overnight) - bit messy though! I think it's supposed to suffocate them but not sure if it has any effect on the eggs

(this thread has made my head itch :laugh:)

After doing the chemical treatment (never do it more than once), then comb through the hair with hair conditioner every three days. The nit combs do not get rid of the eggs (fact), you need to either cut them off the strand of hair or better still use your finger nail to scrape them off.

However, the main reason some people can't get rid of them is because they do one treatment or two and then leave it at that. You have to break the cycle. If you use the conditioner every three days and comb through (for at least two weeks) you will break the cycle and get rid of any new lice that emerge from missed eggs. This method works.

Agreed, wet combing is the way to go. They become immune to the treatments after a while. When my youngest had them the hairdresser recommended some stuff that was really good and said that the stuff the chemists were recommending doesn't work very well. Since then we have mostly just done the wet combing thing and only used the treatment if he gets them really bad.

two of my daughters have nits that just wont go away , we have tried all treatments and now about to call a professional company unless you guys have a simple remedy ......we are not dirty probs too clean tbh .....

@tonyman Buy a nitcomb, a proper one with the long teeth and metal. Go and buy a job lot of cheap conditioner. Wet hair. Saturate hair with conditioner. Comb conditioner through to get rid of tangles. Nit comb with conditioner in. Rinse conditioner off. Repeat every FIVE days until no lice are seen on the comb.

After you have done this and are nit free, when you shampoo your hair, towel dry and put a handful of conditoner through it and leave it in. Do not rinse off. It won't make your hair greasy to look at but it will make it hard for the lice to climb up the hair shaft and lay their eggs.

The girls were always coming home from school with lice but that is now a thing of the past as I have this regime.

ETA: Hair dye kills lice and the eggs before they hatch so you could try colouring your hair. It's the egg shells that are hard to get off the hair shaft as they stick to it but by the time you see them, the lice have hatched.

Hi I use vinegar when my daughter get an outbreak after treatment. The eggs come away really easy. She is at boarding school so I went to the hairdresser. We actually coloured her hair same as her natural colour. Result should has not had it in six months. But I would not have done it if she was staying at home. I just didn't want her to deal with it on her own.

two of my daughters have nits that just wont go away , we have tried all treatments and now about to call a professional company unless you guys have a simple remedy ......we are not dirty probs too clean tbh .....

Contrary to popular belief in my time nits like clean hair. We all have dry wiry hair and apparently nits don't like that luckily but it is certainly nothing to do with washing.

Er no, they don't like clean hair. They like hair. Clean, dirty, doesn't matter at all. You just have to be organised about getting rid of them - like making sure you check your own hair, washing hats and pillow cases. Possibly cushions. Anywhere the nitty one has laid their head in fact. During my teaching career I had them three times ... but with very long gaps between. One of my parents swore by lavender oil and I have to say her daughters never seemed to catch them.

Its a pain, but a concerted attack usually gets rid. Good luck !

We are dealing with nits at the moment. Eldest came home with them at the end of last term, so I have been doing the comb and conditioner on us all every other day (I caught them from her:embarrassed:). I have also been painstakingly going through their hair daily and pulling out everything I can see. Thought we were good to go and had stopped finding anything, but youngest went to a birthday party on Friday, and on Saturday I found EIGHT adult lice in her hair and one adult in eldests, which youngest must have have picked up at the party and passed to her sister. So we are still conditioning and combing. I have made up a spray of water with tea tree and rosemary to use on their hair when they go back to school, and will be braiding their hair tightly every day.

This is the fourth time we have had to deal with them in the past year, with each attack spread out by two or three months of being nit free. Spoke to one of the teachers about it, and she said that there will always be parents who don't check or treat their kids hair, but other than send notes home to all parents there isn't much they can do. I think that if they sent a reminder home at the end of term, advising a check and what to do over the holidays if they are found, maybe that would help, although I don't suppose those same parents will bother.

We are dealing with nits at the moment. Eldest came home with them at the end of last term, so I have been doing the comb and conditioner on us all every other day (I caught them from her:embarrassed:). I have also been painstakingly going through their hair daily and pulling out everything I can see. Thought we were good to go and had stopped finding anything, but youngest went to a birthday party on Friday, and on Saturday I found EIGHT adult lice in her hair and one adult in eldests, which youngest must have have picked up at the party and passed to her sister. So we are still conditioning and combing. I have made up a spray of water with tea tree and rosemary to use on their hair when they go back to school, and will be braiding their hair tightly every day.

This is the fourth time we have had to deal with them in the past year, with each attack spread out by two or three months of being nit free. Spoke to one of the teachers about it, and she said that there will always be parents who don't check or treat their kids hair, but other than send notes home to all parents there isn't much they can do. I think that if they sent a reminder home at the end of term, advising a check and what to do over the holidays if they are found, maybe that would help, although I don't suppose those same parents will bother.

That's what used to drive me mad. We knew which parents didn't bother checking their kids and so did the other children. So unfair on the child, but also on everyone else who was doing the right thing. We all know children picking up lice is inevitable, but I lost count of the number of times our lot had them. Putting a nit comb in our holiday packing along with sunscreen and mozzie repellant was automatic!

I think the last time was when the youngest was 14, so two years ago now, thank goodness, but I only have to smell tea tree oil and it all comes back to me :wink:

The nit comb is still in the bathroom cupboard, just in case...

Well our shcool learnt the hard way. All girls were checked those that had nits were sent home for three days and checked on their way in. Not nice for the kiddies though but it is a way to get everyone to club together. They have also become strict with hats etc., no sharing and they go from their bags onto their heads and back they not allowed to hang them up like they used to. Best of luck to us all none of us are safe in thsi it will happen at one time or another. Have a good week everyone. xxx

Stun the damn things with hair conditioner and remove them with a METAL bug rake. I treat my 3 grandchildren periodically. It takes up to 3 hours each. Comb or brush a trace of Tea Tree oil into you children's hair, this will repel the creatures, but nothing you do will entirely stop reinfection from school.

Sounds like you have had good advice - physical combing with lots of slop is the way to go. Kids are older now and don't get them (I don't understand why) but still remember doing the walk of shame from the hairdressers ten years ago......:unsure:

They spend less time with their heads together, thankfully!

I use banlice which is basically insecticide in a foam. Yes, it is a chemical but is like aerogard. Use a good amount, massage in well and put on a shower cap for half and hour.

Rinse out in the shower followed by conditioner combing. Do it again in 7 days so that you kill anything that hatched that was missed in the combing.

I have a daughter with very very thick hair who was plagued by them - and the banlice seems to do the trick.

Archived