For those thinking of moving back to the UK

stokie33

Simply Don't do it, we spent 2 years on the Gold Coast and came back due to us having a little girl and my partner missing family etc.. Now we have realised we have made the biggest mistake of our lives, I can go on forever why i hate the UK so much but i suppose you have heard it all before so i won't bother, stick it out guys it will be worth it once you have settled we will be applying for RR Visa early next year and hopefully will be returning back to the goldie can't wait

:cute:

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a ridiculous statement, that would be like me posting for those thinking of moving to Australia 'Simply Don't do it'

I am sorry returning to the UK hadn't worked out for you but for many people it is the best thing they have ever done, just like for others moving to Australia was the best thing they have ever done.

Everyone's needs are different, everyone's preferences are different so to advise people not to move back because it hasn't worked for you makes no sense at all. I do think that moving back for others generally is less likely to work out well then actually moving back the the culture/land/lifestyle of the UK so maybe that was the issue for you - in fact it sounds like maybe you didn't want to move back at all but went along with your wife.

What a ridiculous statement, that would be like me posting for those thinking of moving to Australia 'Simply Don't do it'

I am sorry returning to the UK hadn't worked out for you but for many people it is the best thing they have ever done, just like for others moving to Australia was the best thing they have ever done.

Everyone's needs are different, everyone's preferences are different so to advise people not to move back because it hasn't worked for you makes no sense at all. I do think that moving back for others generally is less likely to work out well then actually moving back the the culture/land/lifestyle of the UK so maybe that was the issue for you - in fact it sounds like maybe you didn't want to move back at all but went along with your wife.

Exactly girl,each to their own eh

The statement is not any more ridiculous than your opinion, its their opinions and they are entitled to them. The thread is about people wanting to return, how does it affect anyone in the UK who is happy if they return and they do not like the UK. Free world.

We listen on here to people moaning all the time about Aus, so what is the difference.

Personally I have done it as well and I did not like living the UK again but that is me and I do not expect everyone to like Aus.

I always think if we jump on something we are worried ourselves that we made the wrong decision.

Simply Don't do it, we spent 2 years on the Gold Coast and came back due to us having a little girl and my partner missing family etc.. Now we have realised we have made the biggest mistake of our lives, I can go on forever why i hate the UK so much but i suppose you have heard it all before so i won't bother, stick it out guys it will be worth it once you have settled we will be applying for RR Visa early next year and hopefully will be returning back to the goldie can't wait

:cute:

well you certainly didn't stick it out...everyone is different and many prefer the quality of life for them in the UK some prefer oz but to urge everyone to stay in oz because you hate the UK is funny...:biglaugh:

as usual you are correct again and that is why your posts get so many likes...could not agree more.

It would be useful for those trying to understand ping pongers to understand reasons. I know people who came from places in the UK which they considered grim - high crime, unemployment who think OZ is paradise and would hate it 'back home' I come from a lovely part of the UK and miss it tremendously. I am intending to head back as soon as I can but after being here for 8 years, have forgotten how miserable I was in winter. I can't in all honesty say I won't pong back even though it's unimaginable at the moment. The Gold Coast seems to be somewhere people love or hate - I fall into the latter category but we are all so different. Lady R's posts are v useful to me, especially as she works in IT and has a pretty balanced view. I'm hoping when I finally get home I can hang around to give my view also (although so much less time in the UK for telly and computers!)

well what do you think of my opinion that the UK is a better place to live than australia...fair enough?

It's your opinion and you're entitled to it and you would probably be offended if someone told you it was ridiculous.

To the OP. I would say you really need to sit down and work out what were the real reasons for your return to the UK. If it were for family with the young baby then if you return to Australia those reasons will still be there. The family will still be on the other side of the world,if this was enough to make you all move back then there's a stronger than average chance it will happen again.You have to be quite tough to leave friends and family behind in my opinion. Some people just arent that tough. I wish you good luck on your decisions for the future.

It would be far more helpful to posters, like myself, who are seriously considering a move back, if you could expand on your points.

for example, why did you move to Oz in the first place? Was it just the pull of family that brought you back to the UK? Did you wholeheartedly want to return to the UK, or did you have doubts? How long have you been back in the UK? What is it, exactly, tat you hate so much? How/why is Australia so much better for you?

Sorry for for all the questions, but general, "don't do it" statements don't really help people who keep an eye out for MBTTUK and ping pong threads. I would really like to know more.

Thanks

I would also be genuinely interested in your reasons and opinions rather than just a blanket "don't do it." We are about to move back after almost 11 years in Australia (so we are settled and also happy here). Reading about other returnees' experiences might help us address issues before they come up for us.

.... especially if your reasons for return are weather related! I have only returned to UK once in winter in 8 years and we had almost unbroken cold sunshine, blue skies, a bit of snow!!, the other two times we came in summer - and pretty good weather (last year's summer weather was particularly sublime). What I really don't know is how I would cope with a long, grey, damp and miserable winter - I remember how sad it used to make me never seeing the sky and how I craved the sunshine. When I think of mist and grey now it seems as exotic as the pebbles on Brighton beach - Short memories but the tendency is to romanticize what you haven't got - many of us hoping to return fear the ping pong. I need this money to retire, I can't spend my twilight years gadding about everywhere....

People are making comments like either way is permanent.

We came over for a predefined time of 10 to 12 years

Returning was always part of our plan

Getting the best out of the different countries.

As our circumstances are different from others we appreciate people make choices relative to what will make them happy.

Whether in oz or returned to UK passing on experiences is the point of this site.

Archived