D Day, 6th June

Bobj

I,m home in Portsmouth at the moment, stunning displays ( red arrows today ) ceremonies up until Sunday movies on the common like a drive in 40s music bands, veterans with their stories, those men and women have earned our gratitude and respect.If anyone gets the chance visit the D-Day museum then do so. very humbling, Great weather too

makes you proud to be British.

Guest Guest40285

We will remember them, We are so fortunate thanks to all those brave people, My Pops was one too.

Very special anniversary for you, bottler. :cry::hug:

Yes , it is ... he looks so tired and thin in this photograph ... the strain was huge leading up to D-Day ... he cared a great deal for the young pilots he flew with ( he was thirty and referred to himself as " old grey beard ") mind you he could drink them under the table ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24804[/ATTACH]

my Dad two days before he was shot down and killed in Normandy ... June 1944 ...

i had had an Uncle (Bob) who flew Typhoons like your dad during D Day, he was in 175 Squadron, I wonder if they knew each other. Luckily Uncle Bob survived the War only to be killed in a tractor accident on his farm near Lismore in 1952.

i had had an Uncle (Bob) who flew Typhoons like your dad during D Day, he was in 175 Squadron, I wonder if they knew each other. Luckily Uncle Bob survived the War only to be killed in a tractor accident on his farm near Lismore in 1952.

do you have information about his time during WW2 ? ...

do you have information about his time during WW2 ? ...

No nothing I'm afraid, he was killed when I was four and all I really knew was he was in 175 Sqdn and flew ground attack on and in the aftermath of D Day.My older brother told me that Uncle Bob told him that the "Taffy" was a wonderful aeroplane to fly with an excess of "grunt" from it's Napier Sabre engine. Along with the Russian Sturmovik the best ground attack and tank busters of the War

A special time for those of us old enough to have had fathers who fought in the war. My father was in the parachute regiment, he never talked about it, but now I wish I knew more. I have some fascinating prints of the inside of aircraft as they were about to jump. I think over Arnham (sorry not sure of the spelling).

not leaving women out, but they did an amazing job as well, but not on the front line in those days.

we will remember them

My dad was in the Navy he never talked about it the only time he did was about a patrol when they came under torpedo attack and watch a ship go down with all hands lost, he said hid best mate was on the ship, the only ever time I saw my dad with a tear in his eyes.

• 11 months later...

Archived