We've just bought a house!

Congrats Snifter x

Can we have some internal pictures also as we are all nosey .... :wideeyed: that's the Royal 'we' :wubclub:

:laugh:

Heh, I'll see what I can dig up.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congratulations Snifter, well done!

What a nice house, our own place. Must be a wonderful feeling. We'll do it next year.

The feeling of it being ours is lovely. No renting to worry about, no more living with family, we'll have our own place here in Aus to call home :)

I see you are in Adelaide also. Hopefully you'll have a better run of luck when the time comes. I would sugget not putting an offer in on a house a week or two before Easter thats for sure ;) Added to the stress levels having all those holiday days and seeing the finance approval clock ticking down. 21 days is ample they all told us, its the norm, more than enough time to get it finalised by the bank. Pfffftttt :nah:

Here you go @adonna :tongue:

Its rather cream throughout at present, lovely though. Our style is a bit different, the house will find itself a bit more colourful in the next few months :biggrin:

image07.jpg

image09.jpg

image10.jpg

image14.jpg

image15.jpg

image07.jpg

image09.jpg

image10.jpg

image14.jpg

image15.jpg

Very happy campers here this morning as we just heard from our broker that our mortgage has been approved. Only a week late and settlement next week but hey, we are there.

We've been here just on 8 months and started looking back in February. We put in two offers on other houses but missed out as both times they accepted higher offers. However, I went to see our house (yay I can say that now) and loved it but felt it was perhaps not for us. However, two weeks later it was still listed as being on the market and I took hubby to see it with me. He fell in love with it, I had my checklist in hand and it pretty much ticked every box of the 'Must Have's' and also about 2/3rds of the 'Wish List' wants. Neither of the other houses we had put offers in for had met so many so on the Must Have list and honestly, having seen over 40 houses, some lovely, some not and some downright awful, my second viewing of the house made me appriciate it so much more. So we put an offer in the next morning (we viewed it at a Sunday open). Our offer was not the highest but it was the only one where there was no property to sell and we could therefore move quickly, so it swung it in our favour.

Not all plain sailing as our application got stuck due to the banks computer system breaking down for a week. Then the Easter hols and Anzac day meant everything was closed and then we were at the finance deadline and they had only just looked it over. Fast forward one week past finance deadline and us being the only ones seemingly worried about that being passed (our broker, the agent, the bank and the conveyancer said it was normal) we heard this morning we have approval on our application and that is it. Settlement is a week Friday :)

:jiggy:

congratulations it looks a lovely house ... forgive me for being nosy ... is it an older property ... impressive chimney ... it looks as if it has character ...

congratulations it looks a lovely house ... forgive me for being nosy ... is it an older property ... impressive chimney ... it looks as if it has character ...

It was built in 1985. Pretty old by Aus standards :tongue: :cute: The build style of the house is older fashioned though. It doesn't look or feel of its age at all if you know what I mean. Nor does it feel tacky for being that style but a newer build.

It is part of the reason we liked it. Although I love the open plan living space thing that a lot of Aussie houses have and given we had put an offer in on one like that a week or two before, this one just worked for us when I went back and saw it again. It still has the family room, a dining room and a living room. No long hallway or anything which gives it an older house feel. But its big and you don't feel hemmed in like you might expect in a roomed house (or at least how you might feel in a 3 bed semi in the UK lol). All the houses on the street are very different, some far more contempory looking though built at the same time, some the Aus single story ones, some two storey. None look like ours though :)

Plus it has gardens on all 4 sides, a stunning garden that has had an immense amount of time spent on it, it really gives it an old world feel.

Yeah snifter, good on ya.

we move into our our place this month, been renting for 2 years. Thought I was never going to find the house I wanted, was about to give up on the whole idea.

wishlists are good...mine was a master bedroom at the back of the house, so I can put in French doors and just walk straight out to the pool. Sounds easy, but you would not believe how many houses here that have the master at the front.

i also wanted storage space near/ or in the garage so that when we got back from a day out, we can easily dump the stuff nearby.

having looked at So many properties and their bad designs ...I'm so glad to have found that's basically my ideal.

oops nearly forgot...jack n Jill toilet, on wish list...tick got that

Yeah snifter, good on ya.

we move into our our place this month, been renting for 2 years. Thought I was never going to find the house I wanted, was about to give up on the whole idea.

wishlists are good...mine was a master bedroom at the back of the house, so I can put in French doors and just walk straight out to the pool. Sounds easy, but you would not believe how many houses here that have the master at the front.

i also wanted storage space near/ or in the garage so that when we got back from a day out, we can easily dump the stuff nearby.

having looked at So many properties and their bad designs ...I'm so glad to have found that's basically my ideal.

oops nearly forgot...jack n Jill toilet, on wish list...tick got that

Heh, yeah, the wish list and the must have list. I got really lucky on both.

My main things on the must have list were two toilets (didn't have to have two bathrooms but it does). Am fed up of needing to nip to the loo only to find someone else sat in there for half an hour :rolleyes:. Also wanted a room that could be a study that wasn't taking up the guest room as hubby works from home. Dining room ticked that box. And then things like not feeling hemmed in or overlooked and near to countryside were big plus points. Add in solar panels and solar hot water and gas heating, we were sorted. Wish list things were things like a dishwasher, big windows, high ceilings, garden all round, big garage.

What a lovely home.

I understand that some people don't buy for a fair while as it is a risky move, however I feel the opposite. I think having some ties to a place and some feeling of being part of the community is really important.

I have been renting in the UK since 2011 as we knew we would emigrate and I have felt so fed up not having my own house. It feels like I have lost some independence.

I hope everything goes well for you and you settle into your new lives properly now x

What a lovely home.

I understand that some people don't buy for a fair while as it is a risky move, however I feel the opposite. I think having some ties to a place and some feeling of being part of the community is really important.

I have been renting in the UK since 2011 as we knew we would emigrate and I have felt so fed up not having my own house. It feels like I have lost some independence.

I hope everything goes well for you and you settle into your new lives properly now x

Understand what your saying...

but we moved here on a whim really....about six weeks notice.

came on a 457, rented UK house out..an adventure.

got pr after about 9months....but Perth and its suburbs, lots to explore. We've taken our time to research it all...and we've bought in budget in our preferred area and not had to give up the UK house. It's there if we need it or as a retirement saving if needed.

renting isn't all bad, we've loved the house we have been in. Superb landlords, professional agents....what more could you want.

Ita also given is the freedom to buy lots of toys, ie kayaks, jetskis, quad bikes, dirt bikes.

The down side of owning is now we will have to repair our own property.....some you win...some you loose

Congratulations. Are there no auctions in sa then? U get to take ur time put in offers see whats not selling. Much prefer that system

There are but usually on the houses that will most likely get developed. You know, 21 metres frontage, build 3 worm houses on it sort of thing. You get some homes go under the hammer but not so many.

Time wise, we learnt which type of properties would get snapped up and which would take longer. There was a price range that potential landlords seemed to like and we avoided the types of houses that attracted those offers. Once we looked over a certain price range you could see there was less interest but still as serious.

Congratulations. Are there no auctions in sa then? U get to take ur time put in offers see whats not selling. Much prefer that system

I'm the other way round, hate the auction system. Love watching the shows on them though. It's like a feeding frenzy, never get my head around everyone clapping when the hammer goes down, usually I'm thinking poor sod just paid over the odds for that one.:yes:

Archived