Looking my my big brother - missing since 2004, based in Sydney. And I'm moving to Australia

Harriet Roberts

@Britpop thanks so much for the suggestions esp re the architect regulator I hadn't really considered that. I'll be looking into all those things. Really grateful for your help :)

I have wondered about NZ annoyingly like Oz you can only search it in person (which is the first step in looking for him) but I'm looking for people over there who might be able to do that for me - or pay a visit myself once I'm on that side of the world

Thanks all again means a lot to have your help :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Britpop thanks so much for the suggestions esp re the architect regulator I hadn't really considered that. I'll be looking into all those things. Really grateful for your help :)

I have wondered about NZ annoyingly like Oz you can only search it in person (which is the first step in looking for him) but I'm looking for people over there who might be able to do that for me - or pay a visit myself once I'm on that side of the world

Thanks all again means a lot to have your help :)

You might be able to dig his movement records out of the DIBP, if not all at least enough to ascertain whether he is currently in Australia and you might want to find out where the shirt (Barong Tagalog?) came from.

Hi there, very much in my family's consideration, but with all due respect we are just asking for people to spread the word, not for judgement. The Red Cross and Salvation army have provision in place to respect the wishes of anyone who doesn't want to be found by families but can let them know they are at least safe and well.

Thanks

Some people don't want to be in touch with their families, though.

It is not a crime to be missing. They may have their own reasons for not being in contact.

I am sure its the not knowing that is worrying for you and whilst some people don't want to be found, sometimes bad things can happen to people and family cannot be traced. There could have been family issues in the past, that can be overcome and it may be comforting for the missing brother to know how much he has been missed. If I had lost someone, I would no doubt try every channel to find them, so keep looking and good luck.

Peter, great point, though Privacy Act might prevent that one...

Hi playgirl,

At least it may be worth a try, they may know his address his TFN and even if he is still in aus. I lost my elder brother for 10 years and ultimately found him after that time using his TFN.

Failing that I would that I would use the freedom of information act.

Hope this helps,

Pete

Hi playgirl,

At least it may be worth a try, they may know his address his TFN and even if he is still in aus. I lost my elder brother for 10 years and ultimately found him after that time using his TFN.

Hope this helps,

Pete

It's highly likely there are exemptions under the FOIA for other people's tax information (I know there are in the US as that used to be part of my job. :))

Doubtful they'll tell you anything.

• 1 month later...

All the best in your search, I really hope it comes to a positive conclusion soon. I assume you have tried bank

Records? Medicare? I've joined your Facebook group. My own brother is a similar age to yours and lived in balmain for 2 years between 2000 and 2002 and still has friends around there. I'll send him the details too

Hi playgirl,

Hope this helps,

Pete

Wow that is amazing, I keep getting told that I'm in no way entited to see this information, would you mind telling me a bit about how you went about it (appreciate someone else said it's not poss but would like to try!)

Pm me if needed xx

• Like 1

All the best in your search, I really hope it comes to a positive conclusion soon. I assume you have tried bank

Records? Medicare? I've joined your Facebook group. My own brother is a similar age to yours and lived in balmain for 2 years between 2000 and 2002 and still has friends around there. I'll send him the details too

I had a friend who worked at NAB who did a search for me but couldn't find anything, and medicare I'm not sure how I would go about searching but I will have a gander. I'm leaving the UK in 3 weeks for Australia and I will be able to navigate searches much easier hopefully once I'm there x

• 2 weeks later...
I have set up a group on FB as I find the share posts eventually die down - hopefully this will stay a bit more fresh. If anyone has Oz connections, particularly in Sydney, and my brother lived in Stanmore between 1992 - 2004 for definite, even people who have perhaps known him well before he went missing, it would be amazing to hear from them and get any info on potential connections.

Yeah exactly I'm after any information at all! Thanks so much x

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello! Yes I have arrived in Australia a few days ago and just been setting myself up phone and tax number, job hunting. I may have a lead that Martin was last in Newtown quite recently - not definite. Does anyone know if there is a Newtown forum? I will be in the area today

LondonGal - not registered with the police as when I was last here in 2013 they wouldn't open a missing person case until the tracing agencies were exhausted, that happened with Salvos in January, and the Red Cross in August. If nothing comes of this new lead I will be seeking the assistance of the NSW police but I don't have any guarantee they will help as they may still see the case as a tracing rather than missing person enquiry.

Thanks all :)

Hello! Yes I have arrived in Australia a few days ago and just been setting myself up phone and tax number, job hunting. I may have a lead that Martin was last in Newtown quite recently - not definite. Does anyone know if there is a Newtown forum? I will be in the area today

LondonGal - not registered with the police as when I was last here in 2013 they wouldn't open a missing person case until the tracing agencies were exhausted, that happened with Salvos in January, and the Red Cross in August. If nothing comes of this new lead I will be seeking the assistance of the NSW police but I don't have any guarantee they will help as they may still see the case as a tracing rather than missing person enquiry.

Thanks all :)

I'd recommend contacting the police now, not later. They said come back when the tracing agencies are exhausted and you've done that. The sooner they get involved again, the better. What's the worst that can happen if you go to them and they say no?

Have you tried using a Twitter account. For each area you are looking in, using #missingperson #helpfindMartinRoberts or some such and keep on tweeting from the account. Someone somewhere might recognise him. Use areas he was known to be in, post his pics, updates and so on.

Yeah I've been all around Newtown today, the boarding house association has asked for me to wait and see if they can look into him staying at their boarding houses before going to the police. So tomorrow is likely to be the day I go! Thanks so much for your well wishes, and the twitter suggestion I will do that :)

Also attached some updated pictures I have been sending around Newtown

xx1964_001.jpg

1962_001.jpg

1962_001.jpg

1964_001.jpg