Five years ago today...

LKC

... my family and I arrived in Australia!

I wasn't going to bother with posting an update thread, because I am not sure that anyone would be interested. However, since we arrived on a 457 and have subsequently achieved PR and citizenship, I thought it may be useful to post a positive 457 thread. It hasn't been easy, and as OH took a step back on the career ladder it has been stressful financially, but we did it and we have achieved more in the last five years than we would ever have back in the UK. I think it helped that we came over with very young children (1 and 2), so they have grown up here, and I think that our determined and realistic attitude helped too. We always qualified for PR, but came on the 457 because OH's company wanted him here ASAP and so our timeframe didn't allow for a lengthy visa process. In actual fact our 457 was granted in four days over a weekend, and our 856 was granted in just one week, which was a bit of a (nice) surprise! I don't think that we would have come if we hadn't been certain that we could apply for PR. As it happens, OH's job was taken off the SOL and CSOL shortly after we applied for PR, but we had a back-up plan via a different visa type as an 'in case'.

We did a visit back to the UK in September (our first one since we moved over) and whilst it was nice to see everyone and feel nostalgic about the places that we used to live, coming back to Australia felt like coming home and felt like the final piece of the jigsaw slotted in to place. I don't know what will happen in the future, I have always said never say never, but for now and certainly for as long as I can foresee, Australia is where we will be staying.

It was our anniversary of arrival yesterday. 22 years. We left the UK on valentines day 1992, so that always reminds me. I was so excited when we moved though that we were sat at the airport, flying out of Manchester and my wife had to remind me it was valentines day. She still has to remind me now though and I don't have any excuses.:wink:

Congratulations.

Congratulations LKC. Nice to see a positive post around coming on a 457, though it was easy for you. It is all the you have dealt with afterwards that really counts, in setting up home with 2 little ones. It is also good to see that the visit back to the Old Country made you feel that you were "coming home" on your return back here. That is exactly how we felt after our first visit back there.

P1P, congratulations on your 22nd anniversary out here. Can I take it that you like it here? LOL. :wink:

Congratulations LKC, it is so nice to read such a positive thread. Not only is Australia well & truly my home but I also support the local teams in all sporting events including the Ashes and not just when they are winning. I do visit UK often but honestly it is now a foreign country to me after 40+ years.

Sitting at Bronte watching and listening (to) the waves, and thinking about getting my pension from Royal Mail on Anzac Day. I'm into sixth year of second stint here, not been back since I arrived.

Funny really, that I love watching Pommie shows, football, news,.more than ever, but I don't have any desire to go "home."

Sitting at Bronte watching and listening (to) the waves, and thinking about getting my pension from Royal Mail on Anzac Day. I'm into sixth year of second stint here, not been back since I arrived.

Funny really, that I love watching Pommie shows, football, news,.more than ever, but I don't have any desire to go "home."

I love pommy TV, can't stand Girlie Ball, read pommy news if its part of general worldwide news, and wouldn't go to exist back there if you paid me.

Archived