Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

TeacherBen

HI, does anyone know about unions, my girlfriend started her first aussie job last week and no one has mentioned anything about teaching unions, should she join? Which one? Is there only one? any ideas? Thanks

There are a few different unions for government teachers and independent school teachers. Your girlfriend needs to ask who the union rep is at school.

Hi tiger stripes, thanks for replying. My degree was completed in an English speaking country but I need the extra 20 points I can get if I get a level 8 for IELTS but not sure if it has to be assessed by AITSL for me to get the points or whether I can submit my IELTS score at the point of applying for my visa. In which case I can go ahead with my skills assessment now and won't be delayed any...anyone know?

Go ahead and apply to AITSL - you have UK degree and PGCE - they will never need to see your IELTS score. Appy for the assessment and then arrange your re-sit for IELTS. This is needed for DIAC

I just got back my IELTS scores and got 9's in reading, speaking and listening, but sadly, got only a 7.5 in writing. I needed at least 8 in all 4. I'm resitting and asking for a remark but wondered whether I can start the skills assessment process going by putting an application into AITSL with these IELTS results and then at the EOI stage submit my new IELTS score (hopefully improved to an 8). I ran out of time in the writing test so didn't get a chance to check over my work for mistakes - think this may have been due to taking a toilet break at the start - oops!

Is this possible or is the IELTS score you submit to AITSL the one you have to submit with your visa application?

I hadn't sat my IELTS test when I sent off my certificates for AITSL and I got approved.

Guest dannii28
Hi.

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread but what are the possibilities of work in Australia for a higher level teaching assistant with special educational needs training.

thanks.

Hi neilanddeb

i am currently doing my HLTA's qualification and looking at finding a job in oz so hope someone comes along with an answer for your question

?

http://www.open.edu.au/careers/education-training/teachers-aides This web site might help with Teachers Aids. As you will see most are employed part time and the wages are far from film star.

It depends on a schools funds whether they will fund a teacher for a special needs child or student. Lab techs are used for science in some schools. Probably more private schools that have the money to fund assistants.

Guest Sdavis654
Keep your cv short. 2 pages or so.

Add a covering letter.

Answer key selection criteria with examples of how you have met each criteria in your teaching. You need detail. 7 KSC may take 3 pages or so.

Doing this, I've received an interview for every job I've gone for in maths and science.

would this be the case for any jobs or just teaching in particular? I've heard mixed reviews about the length of the CV and what needs to be on it.

Guest dannii28
http://www.open.edu.au/careers/education-training/teachers-aides This web site might help with Teachers Aids. As you will see most are employed part time and the wages are far from film star.

It depends on a schools funds whether they will fund a teacher for a special needs child or student. Lab techs are used for science in some schools. Probably more private schools that have the money to fund assistants.

Thanks petals!

im really looking at this opportunity for the holidays. We have a little boy and won't have any family to help with child care once he starts school so will be handy to work while he is at school and have most of the half terms summer hols off with him

Devolved funding for assistance is at the discretion of the school; and the guidelines are open to interpretation.

We have only just acquired our first lab technician, which now saves me about 10 hours per week preparation.

The legislation is not as clear here as it is in the UK. We do have teacher aides but only in the primary classrooms. I have 17 in one class: 9 verified and a further 8 undergoing assessment for support but no teacher aide; just strategy guidelines on the IEP. It depends on the school. In the UK that would warrant at least two teacher aides in the room.

Millie

Interesting times in QLD. Many will know that year 7 changes from primary to high school next year to join the new junior secondary phase of education. As a result the Newman government say that an extra 1300 teachers will be required across the state for this purpose. In addition there are now around 120 schools who have joined the"Independent Public School" sector gaining more autonomy for their affairs and this includes staffing.

This could well mean that a Principal could well appoint staff directly from application instead of or as well as using the pool of applicants from country service and the transfer method. I came across this from the website of one of my local schools

https://kenmoreshs.eq.edu.au/Curriculum/Juniorsecondary/Pages/Teaching-in-Junior-Secondary.aspx

Also check out flying start.qld.gov.au and follow the link to Teaching in Junior Secondary.

Interesting. Any thoughts?

Interesting times in QLD. Many will know that year 7 changes from primary to high school next year to join the new junior secondary phase of education. As a result the Newman government say that an extra 1300 teachers will be required across the state for this purpose. In addition there are now around 120 schools who have joined the"Independent Public School" sector gaining more autonomy for their affairs and this includes staffing.

This could well mean that a Principal could well appoint staff directly from application instead of or as well as using the pool of applicants from country service and the transfer method. I came across this from the website of one of my local schools

https://kenmoreshs.eq.edu.au/Curriculum/Juniorsecondary/Pages/Teaching-in-Junior-Secondary.aspx

Also check out flying start.qld.gov.au and follow the link to Teaching in Junior Secondary.

Interesting. Any thoughts?

My thoughts are that this does not equate to extra jobs/positions in any way.

The same is happening in WA next year as the year 7's go to high school for the first time. At this present time many WA primary teachers are doing courses to enable them to teach at secondary level in readiness for next year.

There will be large losses of jobs from primary schools ( especially upper primary), which in turn means those very same teachers will be pursuing the secondary jobs.

Queensland has literally hundreds of teachers out of work already. The stats are awful.

Edited by Sammy1

My thoughts are that this does not equate to extra jobs/positions in any way.

The same is happening in WA next year as the year 7's go to high school for the first time. At this present time many WA primary teachers are doing courses to enable them to teach at secondary level in readiness for next year.

There will be large losses of jobs from primary schools ( especially upper primary), which in turn means those very same teachers will be pursuing the secondary jobs.

Queensland has literally hundreds of teachers out of work already. The stats are awful.

This is true

Our year 7s joined high school last year and were just absorbed by the high school teachers. Initially a primary teacher followed them for the main subjects for ease of transition; However, the teaching, assessment structure and disciplinary procedures were so different they decided it would be easier to implement changes with different teachers.

This is true

Our year 7s joined high school last year and were just absorbed by the high school teachers. Initially a primary teacher followed them for the main subjects for ease of transition; However, the teaching, assessment structure and disciplinary procedures were so different they decided it would be easier to implement changes with different teachers.

Here in WA we have a program called SWITCH. The courses are offered in science, design and technology, maths and English (limited numbers). These are for primary school teachers and will enable them to teach up to year 10.

The SWITCH program is fully funded by the WA Education Department and last one year in total. Teachers study whilst still teaching in their regular primary jobs

Preference will then be given to SWITCH teachers for the new positions created (by the transition of year 7's in 2015) in state high schools. It is mainly upper primary (rather than junior) teachers that have taken advantage of the course, as they are the ones who are likely to lose their jobs.

I should also add that ALL of the universities in Perth have contacted their education students advising them that they should seriously consider secondary teaching instead of primary and early childhood, due to the serious shortage of jobs. This is hard for students who are nearly at the end of their four year primary and early childhood degrees!!

Edited by Sammy1

Hi.

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread but what are the possibilities of work in Australia for a higher level teaching assistant with special educational needs training.

thanks.

hubby works as special ed/science secondary teacher. His route in was volunteering, teacher aide, teacher. Shortage of jobs in Qld for all teachers, even maths & science and so they are rarely advertised but word of mouth. Volunteering at a school with a SEN unit or at a SEN school would put you in prime position for selection. BTW we are hoping to return to UK in 2015. Could anyone who is leaving let me know how difficult it would be for an experienced SEN teacher to get work (SE UK)?