Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

TeacherBen

Hi Millie

I`m Slt at the moment and head of science looking to move july 2015, is it relatively easy to register to teach? Both QLD and NSW seem quite complicated,

Cheers

Rachel

Its not that bad to be honest. Just a bit of a paper exercise more than anything. Key areas are that your degree is not the 3 year course. I did BA history and then a PGCE which is the type of course that they like. 3 year course can lead to stumbling blocks.

I collated all the paperwork, got it all certified in one big go and then sent it. You can register with QCT now and see the online application form. Gives you an idea of what you need. Once submitted they ask for a paper copy of supporting evidence. Just have it all ready :)

If you don't have them, order your certificates and transcripts for degree and pgce :) You will need them. :)

Are you calling me millie?

The paperwork for AITSL is the same as QCT just about. So you are good to go. I didn't realise you could do both either, they can as long as each other so it is worth sending it off.

AITSL is only for visa purposes. State bodies are for the actual teaching.

Here is one for you teachers I have never understood maybe you can shed some light. I know a lot about visa/teacher registration tho I am not a teacher. The reason for this is my girlfriend is a teacher, but I did all the work researching, because my girlfriend was too busy lesson planning.

I work in IT, I write code to solve problems, I then save that code for others to use in future if the same business problem comes up in future. Why dont teachers do that? why do you need to spend hours lesson planning. Why is there not a filing cabinet or a folder on a computer somewhere which already has all the lessons ready prepared, which have been honed and improved down the years. If you want to tinker with it you can, make some changes and put it back for the next teacher... why dont you do that seems so selfish to me.. and my girlfriend spends ages we could be out enjoying the aussie sun doing exectly what the teacher the previous year did..

Her new School in Aus is exactly the same as in the UK, no one shares resources.. whats the deal? Surely the school having a bank of "perfect" lessons which have been tried tested and improved over time is the way to go, not my girlfriend making it all up from scratch the night before when she is tired as shes got 7 others to do?

This is really interesting mate. I really agree with you. Comes down to head of department in my opinion. My last school had 8 filin cabinets that covered everything for 7-13. Use, amend, improve, ditch. What ever you fancy. It made us a progressive team. Instead of planning we refined. Leads to results and a good team.

Just joined a new school. Nothing in place but really good ideas with a collaborative team. Legwork needs to be done one summer and we are good to go :-)

some are selfish, some are scared, some don't even realise. Worth remembering that somebody had to start it off. Someone has to start the filing cabinet or the electronic folder. When it is done it will fill quick. :-)

Thats really good, when she started at the aussie school I told her to ask if they had something like that, they said no and became really concerned because they thought her had been "brought up" like that and would be expecting it.. all the teachers have been there forever so probably have everything covered themselves so dont think about new teachers, especially ones who dont know the curiculum that well , so far not much of her UK stuff has been of use.

Yeah that doesn't surprise me. But the best way to look at it is succession planning and modernisation/innovation. Sharing good practice is also a great way of pushing it, albeit informally. The difference is that here as a member of leadership I would expect to walk into any dept I line manage and be shown a scheme of work or medium/long term plans for the team to use. New teachers to the profession need to be supported but also it is so important to maintain the creative process. Planning a lesson is the best way to achieve that 'good' or 'outstanding' judgement in many cases. Balancing act I guess. A filing cabinet can be stale and paper reliant. Mix it up :)

These are just my thoughts and I am confident and could actually name people who wouldn't see it the same as me but it is all down to the individual. But I for one agree with the points you raise. No point in re-inventing that wheel.

Hi VANDUEX

my OH and I are both primary school / early years teachers hoping to move to the brisbane area in sept. I know we need to register to teach but thought it was a 12 week process that we could not begin until we arrive in oz? is there a way we can do this before we arrive?! That would make a huge financial difference to us as a family if we didn't both have to wait so long to really start with the job search!

all info gratefully received!! Thanks x

Edited by DizzyD

Hi VANDUEX

my OH and I are both primary school / early years teachers hoping to move to the brisbane area in sept. I know we need to register to teach but thought it was a 12 week process that we could not begin until we arrive in oz? is there a way we can do this before we arrive?! That would make a huge financial difference to us as a family if we didn't both have to wait so long to really start with the job search!

all info gratefully received!! Thanks x

Hey Diz,

How far are you down the Visa process? Have you completed the AITSL assessment?

You can register with QCT now - http://www.qct.edu.au/

You can sign up and complete all the applications online, then you need to send a paper copy with all the supporting evidence. They do say that it takes 12 weeks from receiving the paper work so best get started. :) I am in Reading so it can defo be done :)

Also looking at moving in sept. :)

Hi we haven't even started the process yet, but testing the water:

Husband Head Teacher of Primary school. BA degree in Geography and primary teaching. Has been teaching for 15 years in both outstanding and challenging schools in London, Bristol and where we are now in Portishead!

We couldn't afford to 'start over' and take a junior role, but most people i have spoken to have said that might not be the case!

Sadie

Hi we haven't even started the process yet, but testing the water:

Husband Head Teacher of Primary school. BA degree in Geography and primary teaching. Has been teaching for 15 years in both outstanding and challenging schools in London, Bristol and where we are now in Portishead!

We couldn't afford to 'start over' and take a junior role, but most people i have spoken to have said that might not be the case!

Sadie

Sadie,

You will find a mixed response to this question. But that is probably for the best as no-one wants to be overly positive/negative or realistic vs unrealistic. There have been a few posts about this very thing quite recently. As a bit of an overly positive individual I would say it is possible but not base don fact, more because I want it to be the case :)

I would look at a few websites such as:

teachers on net

smart

hays

tes Australia

each local govt website

You can see all the jobs on there and see if any of them are applicable to you. No point in applying until you have the Visa. Have you contacted an agent? checked the SOL and CSOL lists for your occupation?

I am no expert but anything I can do to help then let me know.

Hi

Thanks for that. Due to our age (43 this year) we do need to get a wriggle on, if we are to do it. i checked out TES Australia yesterday and there seemed quite a bit on there, but i guess with local candidates being more preferable and 'younger' ones too....pesky kids!! LOL.

It is a minefield and i know we might be banging our heads against a brick wall, but you never know!

We are off to Florida in August so what ever we do will have to wait until after that, £'s!!!

in the meantime i will keep on researching and asking questions!

Thank you.

Hi

Thanks for that. Due to our age (43 this year) we do need to get a wriggle on, if we are to do it. i checked out TES Australia yesterday and there seemed quite a bit on there, but i guess with local candidates being more preferable and 'younger' ones too....pesky kids!! LOL.

It is a minefield and i know we might be banging our heads against a brick wall, but you never know!

We are off to Florida in August so what ever we do will have to wait until after that, £'s!!!

in the meantime i will keep on researching and asking questions!

Thank you.

Yup it is worth getting a wriggle on. You could start collating all the paperwork now. The QCT paperwork is almost identical to the AITSL paperwork and QCT only costs 230AUD. You could start the process (without paying) and it would motivate you to collate a lot of the info, also it keeps you busy. :)

Hiya, We lodged our EOI in June last year and have JUST had request for medicals to be done!!! 8 months of no news.. So delighted to move forward!! Hoping this is it now.. Has been a VERY long and stressful process!! My husband is the main visa applicant.. He has the aitsl. I am really made up to hear we can register from here.. That makes huge difference.. Thanks! Best of luck to us all!!!!

I arrived in Sydney on Xmas Day. I was lucky as I arrived on my girlfriend's 457 visa, her company paid for agents and visa fees. I've gained provisional accreditation to teach in NSW and I am awaiting accreditation from the CEO (Catholic Education Office), I applied 1st week of Jan and I'm still waiting.

I haven't got much teaching experience (2 years as a Secondary History/RE teacher, 1 year as Coordinator of PSHE), so on paper not a bad CV for my first 2 years.

I've applied for 15 job and nothing. I received a handwritten letter from a Principal which said something along the lines of, "Very impressive CV, you've put a lot off effort in but we don't want to take your application any further"

I've been in contact with SMART Teachers, I'm registered but they said I've arrived at the wrong time of year and that supply/cover will pick up in term 2.

In a nutshell, the feeling I'm getting is there are too many teachers and not enough jobs(In the majority of subject areas). A bit of a sweeping statement, I know. There does seem to be more maths/science jobs.

Luckily my gf is "keeping me", I am going to continue applying but eventually I'll have to get a job (ANYTHING!) because I'll go crazy

Good Luck to you all (you may need it)

Edited by Manc84

I arrived in Sydney on Xmas Day. I was lucky as I arrived on my girlfriend's 457 visa, her company paid for agents and visa fees. I've gained provisional accreditation to teach in NSW and I am awaiting accreditation from the CEO (Catholic Education Office), I applied 1st week of Jan and I'm still waiting.

I haven't got much teaching experience (2 years as a Secondary History/RE teacher, 1 year as Coordinator of PSHE), so on paper not a bad CV for my first 2 years.

I've applied for 15 job and nothing. I received a handwritten letter from a Principal which said something along the lines of, "Very impressive CV, you've put a lot off effort in but we don't want to take your application any further"

I've been in contact with SMART Teachers, I'm registered but they said I've arrived at the wrong time of year and that supply/cover will pick up in term 2.

In a nutshell, the feeling I'm getting is there are too many teachers and not enough jobs(In the majority of subject areas). A bit of a sweeping statement, I know. There does seem to be more maths/science jobs.

Luckily my gf is "keeping me", I am going to continue applying but eventually I'll have to get a job (ANYTHING!) because I'll go crazy

Aus is not short of teachers in the cities and large towns where most of the population lives, they are short of teachers who are willing to move to the outback townships and into the country. My son teaches in Victoria and he took a position in an isolated community with a school, shop and a silo and stayed there for three years. For his efforts he is now a permanent teacher employed by the education department. He is also a maths science teacher and there are a lot more openings for them.

My daughter teaches humanities and years 11 and 12 and therefore jobs are thin on the ground in Melbourne and therefore she does not teach now she works in business.

People hang on to the jobs in teaching and often people retire and return to the same job on a contract. Contracts are the norm for most teachers these days.

Hi, thats bad news but surely you have picked the worst possible time to arrive and start looking for work. All the jobs for the new school year are sorted by end of November so I cant imagine there are many jobs going around in Jan. My girlfriend had to apply for nearly 100 jobs (it doesnt take that much effort most have the same key criteria to address) but your problem will be there wont be that volume of jobs at this time of year. Also teachers apparently are really good at turning up for work in term1 so supply teaching in short supply. Good luck with it all.

I have a friend who also arrived in Jan as a teacher and couldnt get anywhere mainly due to the time of year, he had to wait till half year break to get a position.

You know what u could do, as a kept man, do volenteer work in schools, my girlfriend did that she arrived in August the best time to find jobs but at the same time as applying she was volenteering in a private and a public school, getting some insite into Victorian schools and it went down Very well at interview

Edited by wolvesaussie

There are hundreds of teachers looking for jobs. You haven't applied for many jobs yet, be prepared to do a lot more. It is very important to change your letter of application and some of the cv to suit the school that you are applying to.

Jobs will begin to be advertised from July onwards.You arrived at the wrong time of year unfortunately.

For now, try to get as much relief as possible as this gives you a foot in the door and the opportunity to meet the admin of the school in a work situation - rather than another name on a cv.

Quite often short contracts eventuate from relief work. It is all about being in the right place at the right time- and not giving up.

Anyone know what month/time of year the most jobs are advertised? We are hoping to make the move quicker than origionallg planned and were going to go sept but my husbands sister is getting married in October so we are thinking we should wait until after the wedding. Is October going to be a stupid time to get jobs do you think?

Aug-Nov is the main time, I would say Oct was the busiest time so maybe if you get here Oct 1 you will be ok, but I would recommend being here in September if you could. Really the timing is perfect, you finish up school in July in the UK then head on over in Aug or beginning of Sep right to the main job season.. Dont come Jan 1 :)

I suppose though you could always apply as if you were in Australia and hopefully by the time they call you for interview (3 weeks?? later) you actually will be.

Edited by wolvesaussie

Aug-Nov is the main time, I would say Oct was the busiest time so maybe if you get here Oct 1 you will be ok, but I would recommend being here in September if you could. Really the timing is perfect, you finish up school in July in the UK then head on over in Aug or beginning of Sep right to the main job season.. Dont come Jan 1 :)

I suppose though you could always apply as if you were in Australia and hopefully by the time they call you for interview (3 weeks?? later) you actually will be.

We would love to come end of July but would have to fly back for sisters wedding in oct (none of our family know yet) which would cost around 8k for our family to do return flights hence why we are going to have to wait until October :-( we may not be able to sell the house on time yet - it really is a pretty uncertain time isn't it ! Can't wait to actually know if we have the visa - at least then we can plan a little better!

We were lucky with timing the only issue we had was making sure we got granted the visa before the resignation date, Her school had a very strict far in advance list of dates for resigning for the following terms. I suppose they couldnt have stopped her but needed good will of school to help with Australian teacher registration process