Stone bench tops

VERYSTORMY

We are getting ready to build our first home and as part of the package stone bench tops are included. Now, they have said they will offer a free upgrade from the essa stone things to real stone. Being a geo, obviously I am thinking I want real stone. But my wife thinks no. What do you guys think?

Guest Guest16631

......I'd choose granite.......

.......I have hardwood ATM......but will replace the island with granite as its not a big piece.....

.......but if its affordable I think it's worth getting real stone.....it's durable and functional ime.....!

No brainer for me - real stone. Have to admit though that I don't like imitation anything.

We used granite in our kitchen and I love it. I put hot things on it, cut on it etc when I'm in a hurry and nothing seems to bother it. We have been in this house for around 12 years and it looks as good today as the day we moved in.

We used marble in the bathrooms and while its great as well I don't think I would be as relaxed with it in a kitchen.

We are in the process of designing our next house and will use both materials again.

Real stone is great. Granite is good. I'd only go for marble if you have cash and then don't mind if it stains or scratches after you've spent all that money on it ;) If not, stick to granite.

We are getting ready to build our first home and as part of the package stone bench tops are included. Now, they have said they will offer a free upgrade from the essa stone things to real stone. Being a geo, obviously I am thinking I want real stone. But my wife thinks no. What do you guys think?

Whatever looks best with the Induction cooktop........

......I'd choose granite.......

.......I have hardwood ATM......but will replace the island with granite as its not a big piece.....

.......but if its affordable I think it's worth getting real stone.....it's durable and functional ime.....!

We had ironbark cupboards and bench tops in our last house - beautiful, but not as practical as granite.

If you don't want to do your entire kitchen you might be able to get an off cut from the granite place. Some of the off cuts are fairly large. We got a lovely off cut to use for our BBQ bench thingy (not sure what its called but like an outside kitchen bench).

We chose Quantum Quartz in our kitchen which is similar to Essa stone. We have had it for 7 years now and it's great. Not a mark on it, not a scratch, blemish - nothing! I spend a lot of time cooking and have found the reconstituted stone more than adequate. I don't know anything about the hardiness of real stone in comparison.

Guest Guest16631
We had ironbark cupboards and bench tops in our last house - beautiful, but not as practical as granite.

If you don't want to do your entire kitchen you might be able to get an off cut from the granite place. Some of the off cuts are fairly large. We got a lovely off cut to use for our BBQ bench thingy (not sure what its called but like an outside kitchen bench).

.....agree the wood is beautiful......but not practical....

......have a stone mason looking out for a piece of granite.......

......need a certain colour and size.....

......and other things have taken priority ...!

.....if you can do it VS.......go for granite......some beautiful pieces .....

Guest Guest16631

......I suppose it depends on your preference......

......lots of new builds use engineered stone.......and many of the effects are stunning.....

......my chef son has the cheapest tops available......

......but he uses boards for all his kitchen work.....

........says its easier and more hygienic.....!

..........and would of used stainless if he could....

........personal choice.....

........guess VS will have to decide based on how they use their kitchen.......

.......sorry VS.......you've already decided.....!

.........too slow as usual ...lol...

We have marble effect 40mm chipboard, does the job cleans very easily looks really nice.

Black marble effect laminate work tops for us. Much less echoey when you accidentally drop something on it. Although I have to admit I would rather like granite worktops if we could afford them.

We have been looking at benchtops for when we renovate, and I think that we will choose something like Caesarstone. We have a big kitchen, which is fitted in to a bay window, meaning that the benchtop is angled in an elongated hexagon, so I think that the engineered stones will be easier to fit. Plus, because we have a breakfast bar area, and we would like the thicker tops and a waterfall edge to the breakfast bar, so the engineered will be more affordable.

Having said all that, had budget not been a factor (it is unfortunately because we need three new bathrooms and new flooring throughout, plus re-wiring) we would have chosen stone. We can afford stone benchtop and laminate flooring, or a cheaper benchtop and better flooring, but not both.

Thanks guys. We were going for the essa stone. But, it seems a shame not to go for the real thing when it is a free upgrade.

What is essa stone? I've not heard of that before. Ours is Formica, and we had water get into the crack and its blown. We'll probably look at granite next time.

Thanks guys. We were going for the essa stone. But, it seems a shame not to go for the real thing when it is a free upgrade.

VS might be obvious, but ask for the cut outs from the sink and cooker top. Can be very useful, I have one next to the cooker top.

Archived