Australias "King Hit" Culture.

simmo

12 months of terror: The king hit violence killing our young men

THIS is a national tragedy. 2013 was another year of senseless violence on our nation's streets and most of it was fuelled by alcohol.

Despite the well-publicised tragedy of Thomas Kelly, 18, killed in 2012 out on his first night on the town, the king-hit assaults continued this year.

In NSW, there are more police fighting the war on alcohol than there are troops left fighting the war on terror in Afghanistan, reports the Daily Telegraph.

"King Hit" what a horrible phrase..

Or worse to be on the receiving end. All too common sadly. A young Irish fellow died after being hit near me in Northbridge(Perth) two days prior to New Year. He worked in the Irish pub in Aberdeen Street and was standing behind a taxi, when some thoughtless punch happy idiot, punched him in the side of his head. Yet another fatality.

Hard to know what to do. Booze brings out the worse in all too many. Especially those that can't manage their intake or behaviour.

Or worse to be on the receiving end. All too common sadly. A young Irish fellow died after being hit near me in Northbridge(Perth) two days prior to New Year. He worked in the Irish pub in Aberdeen Street and was standing behind a taxi, when some thoughtless punch happy idiot, punched him in the side of his head. Yet another fatality.

Hard to know what to do. Booze brings out the worse in all too many. Especially those that can't manage their intake or behaviour.

I was talking to a german once and we where discussing why in germany you don't get as much actuall fisticuffs just a lot of nose to nose shouting, they usually stop short of sticking one on each other. he told me that if someone hits you the hitter will have to pay ALL of your medical fees, lost earnings, therapy ect.. and it mounts up to a lot of money. Maybe this is the way forward. IME people learn most from being hit in the pocket.

I think this story saddens me more when its in Oz?When I was younger, no one got into that sort of thing.We all just went out for a good time and a laugh and all good hearted fun!What is it with younger people these days to have to resort to random acts of violence?Very sad!

King hit gives it status! It's cowardly!

I tend to agree. Funny, you do get violence in the UK, lots of it. But not like this. You tend to get more build up. That's what it used to be like in oz. But now, you get an argument and then, when the other guy is not looking, or some time later, they clobber them. Gutless pieces of turd.

This happens in the uk all the time. every fri and sat night on the streets. ive seen it was to many times. not only king hits but glassing bottles knifes. SAD SAD WORLD WE LIVE IN.

And glassing could really be avoided by replacing all glass with bottles.

I know a guy who lost his fiancé on his birthday (26th dec) after a young lad who was refused entry to a pub threw an empty bottle into the pub with no thought. The bottle bounced of a wall, broke and killed her as it stuck in her neck and she bled to death.

There was no malice here either, just bad timing but no glass = no glassing :banghead:

Guest Guest40285

It happens way more than is reported, believe me I worked in security a long time in Byron Bay, the stuff you see is outrageous really bad, something has to be done, Im sounding old but it never happened when I was younger. yeah there was pushing and shoving and the odd punch but by the ned of the night most of it was forgoten and everybody had made up, I was stabbed a few years back by one angry 18 year old girl, The girls are just as bad if not worse than the blokes for drinking and carrying on. The Aussie culture of a few beers has been taken to the extreme.

I was talking to a german once and we where discussing why in germany you don't get as much actuall fisticuffs just a lot of nose to nose shouting, they usually stop short of sticking one on each other. he told me that if someone hits you the hitter will have to pay ALL of your medical fees, lost earnings, therapy ect.. and it mounts up to a lot of money. Maybe this is the way forward. IME people learn most from being hit in the pocket.

I was in a bar in Georgia one drunken Xmas Eve and there were loads of arguments but absolutely no physical violence, nothing past finger pointing and shouting.

An ex-pat guy told me that unlike the UK with people fighting in the streets, in America it rarely goes past the verbal stage because everybody knows that someone who gets attacked is likely to come back inside with a gun and retaliate that way.

He also said that in his county outside Atlanta, the council take out billboard adverts on the road boundaries saying "We advise all of our citizens to keep a gun at home".

When i asked how it felt living in a place like that, he said it was fine. They have the lowest house burglary and crime rate in the entire state.

The German way sounds more civilised though.

i think the biggest problem with it has been covered here, giving it a name that suggests something good is just crazy.

the media again (anyone would think i had a grudge against these bastards) almost bloody advertising it.

if they portrayed it for what it is, an unprovoked 'stab in the back' kind of assault. then maybe it wouldn't be admired and followed so much.

bastards have blood on their hands again...

Archived