Where would you rather grow old: Australia or UK?

Guest spreadingwings

Guest spreadingwings

I heard this mentioned the other day and wonder what the thoughts are around this. Regardless of your age now, where do you think you'd most like to be when you're 70 and older: Australia or UK? And why? Medical reasons? Weather? Comfort? Ease of access to health care? Ease of transport? Safety?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mind either actually.Med reasons,well i'm lucky to have been quite healthy most of my life and hopefully will continue to do so,so not worried about that aspect.Weather?Hmmmm Not over fond of scorching summer days tbh,I do however enjoy spring time in Oz,when I think the temps are about right for me. Here in the UK I do like central heating,and not having to use anything to cool us down with in summer,so comfort wise,probably would sit on the fence (haha)with that one!Ease of access to healthcare?Again I'm lucky I have been healthy,only recently I had to have some tests done at a major hospital (routine check type thing)and was seen within a few days.I had to wait 2 days to get into my surgery so no biggie there either.Just turned out to be a hormone thing!lol.Ease of transport depends alot of course where you live in both countries.I've lived rurally in both.Never relied on public transport as such to get anywhere regularly,but where I live atm,I can easily walk into town (15 mins)or there is a little mini bus if the weather is dodgy.I think if I returned to Oz to live and got old there,I would probably choose a fairly big rural town which I could easily walk to.Safety wise?In my 30 years in Oz,unfortunately I experienced several episodes of horrible incidences.Mainly men exposing themselves, also had a guy trying to watch me shower when I was 14,on holiday with my parents.Was in the public amenities and after rinsing my hair,happened to look up at the blurred window to see a guys face pressed against it!Not pleasant!Another time I was nearly raped,and the last time I lived there,some drunken yob tried to force his way into my house!I'm not sticking up for the UK,but I've been here for a few years now,and touch wood,havent had anything horrible like that happen to me,so on the safety side of things,its the UK.

Tbh though,personally it does'nt matter where you live,its your attitude towards it.I've worked with some of the poorest people on the planet and........they've sometimes been the happiest!

UK for me, no doubts. Better weather for outdoors things, better services for the elderly, more things geared to elders' interests, better transport for those not driving any more, the NHS, safety, sense of supportive community just to name a few.

UK for me, no doubts. Better weather for outdoors things, better services for the elderly, more things geared to elders' interests, better transport for those not driving any more, the NHS, safety, sense of supportive community just to name a few.

U.k all day long, as I get older ...just had friends buy an apartment, to use for their retirement next to the Doctors ...new 2 bed £130,000....500 yds from the pub , where lunches are 4 quid ....regular bus service into Solihull .....huge trading estate up the road ...m&s ...argos ...boots , all the usual suspects ...train station 1 mile away .

If it was purely weather related , I would be back to oz ......but I couldn't think of anything worse than growing old in some outback aussie town, its as bad as watching my mom grow old in inner city Birmingham .....on the coast maybe in oz would be better , but there would have to be a multitude of things to do other than the beach , and even that goes out the window when you are no longer mobile .

my good wife and me are currently looking after 2 elderly relatives , and its sad to see the decline.

I know people will be jumping to australias defence , but looking 10 t0 20 yrs ahead ( if I make it ) ...its got to be the u.k

Australia. I am watching the decline of my mother bunbury 1 and I agree it's very sad. I want to be in Australia when I am that age because that's where my daughter is - and when you get to that age, your family are the only ones who want to take the time to repeat everything sixty three times and listen to what you are saying. Plus these North Wales winters are murder for the arthritis...

It has to be Australia for me, I found that I suffered from depression, largely due to the weather in England, and that was when I was young and mobile, I really don't think I could deal with it when I am older. As for other factors, it is much of a muchness, though for me personally, I feel that Australia has a lot more to offer me. Maybe that is because I was born here and therefore have an affinity for the place, but I see how my parents are getting on here as they get older and they really do have a fantastic life.

Melbourne, Australia for me. The public transport is so much better than where I have lived in the UK. Also, the hot weather would do wonders for health reasons.

I don't think I will really know until the time comes. At the moment I am thinking Australia would be nice, is like to live by the sea maybe in Queensland. That presumes I have my health and financial resources though. If my health and financial resources were not strong, then I think the UK would be better for me, better healthcare I think and lower cost of living.

Right now I'd say UK, I have no plans to ever return to Australia to live. Living in Scotland the NHS is superb, services for the elderly are superb and both come free. My dad is in hospital at the moment and the range of services to support him once he can go home is outstanding. My mum's cousin was a £10 Pom and is in Queensland - he has a good life, lives in a golf complex and that's his pleasure but he reckons pensioners are much better off in the UK.

If I had the finances to support it, I certainly wouldn't mind spending a couple of months spring or autumn in Australia each year. And if my son was to settle there that could be a game changer who knows?

I don't think I will really know until the time comes. At the moment I am thinking Australia would be nice, is like to live by the sea maybe in Queensland. That presumes I have my health and financial resources though. If my health and financial resources were not strong, then I think the UK would be better for me, better healthcare I think and lower cost of living.

I know that better healthcare in UK is often cited but I suspect that the UK climate means you are more likely to have to call on that healthcare in old age. Not only that but the NHS is really feeling the strain and with an ageing population the cracks must widen.

At this very moment in time I would have to say Australia, but if my daughters ended up back in the UK then I would imagine I would too. Hopefully they would help look after me!!

I'm still not sure of the ins and outs of the medical system here so costs may be an issue to think about too.

All in all though Oz would win hands down. Even if I couldn't do much more than sit out in the sun in a garden or on a balcony I would rather be doing that than being stuck indoors because of the weather in the UK.

Guest Guest 47403

I'd hate to grow old in the UK restrictive damp weather during winter, I'd rather be in the south of France or Spain if it wasn't Australia!

I know that better healthcare in UK is often cited but I suspect that the UK climate means you are more likely to have to call on that healthcare in old age. Not only that but the NHS is really feeling the strain and with an ageing population the cracks must widen.

Much prefer the UK climate to here......plus I have worked, and been a patient, in the healthcare system in both countries.

UK wins hands down for me

Archived