‘I can’t survive on £500 a week benefits!’

simmo

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That works out at GBP 3,250 per year per person. That's really not a lot. Yes, this person seems to have made some bad decisions in life - including the use of bus lanes - but she and her family still need essentials to live. As a society, we need to understand, and to a certain extent expect, that some people in socially excluded groups do not make good decisions.

How can she afford a car? I had to take my car home when I was a student in Birmingham. The only decent thing about Brum was the public transport was good.

We can't know the circumstances, but it is possibly a legacy from her ex-partner. Plus, if there are eight of you, using public transport is likely to be expensive and impractical. The point remains, it is difficult to imagine supporting a family on an annual GBP3,250 per person. Benefits are not designed to allow extravagent living and those who have very high income through benefits tend to have very unusual and expensive circumstances. Wishing that people in expensive circumstances were in less expensive circumstances is a fool's errand and capping benefits levels so that they are less than people need will probably be counter-productive.

Maybe shouldnt have had so many kids then!

Isn't hindsight a wonderful and useful skill? But what would you suggest to resolve the present situation?

For extra marks, feel free to offer suggestions as to how you could prevent such a situation arising in the future.

Isn't hindsight a wonderful and useful skill? But what would you suggest to resolve the present situation?

For extra marks, feel free to offer suggestions as to how you could prevent such a situation arising in the future.

Birth control? Do I get a gold star? :tongue:

Birth control? Do I get a gold star? :tongue:

Not yet. Birth control doesn't solve a problem of someone who already has too many children. And China is the only country I can think of with a policy of birth control and that has been very controversial. Is that really what you are advocating for the UK?

Not yet. Birth control doesn't solve a problem of someone who already has too many children. And China is the only country I can think of with a policy of birth control and that has been very controversial. Is that really what you are advocating for the UK?

Ah! You asked for suggestions as to prevention in the future..................that's got to be worth a silver star at least. I wouldn't advocate anything for the UK as it seems to have coped without me for the last 18 yrs..............I was going to say "got along quite well" but decided against that debatable point.............not that my vote would have made much difference.

Guest Guest16631

....wasn't there a suggestion of capping child benefits at two children......

....and denying out of work under 25 's.....housing benefits.....?

......not sure if this ever got past the .....planning stage....

......but the days of living at home with the parents until you could afford to move out might curb those with few scruples...

......and then as always .....it's the innocents .....that get caught in the trap.....

.......the parent that has quads......and loses their job through cutbacks...

.......a mine field of things that could go wrong.....

.......I would of thought ( hoped).....,that cases like this are in the minority though.....and just used to inflame public opinion....

Condoms are free off the family planning.

Mind you, that would mean getting out of bed and getting dressed.

Agreed, you can try to offer advice and practical help to try to avoid large families that depend on benefits. But some people take poor decisions, have chaotic lifestyles and otherwise resist all attempts to steer their behaviour. Telling them that they could/should have made alternative choices is simply not helpful. As long as people have free choice, some will make the wrong choice and society has to live with the consequence. So then the question is what society will do to respond.

....wasn't there a suggestion of capping child benefits at two children......

....and denying out of work under 25 's.....housing benefits.....?

You could even abolish benefits altogether. But the risk with cutting benefits to a level on which people cannot survive is that you will drive many into crime or the black economy. Others would starve. It would make for an unstable society in which the righteous employed people would not feel secure to enjoy their wealth. Benefits may exist to help people who receive them, but just as much they exist to help those who don't.

And yes, capping benefits at two children would be a disincentive for some to have a third child, but what would you do about those for whom the disincentive didn't work?

Archived